Does your family undersatnd your diosrder?

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Regular
My family and friends are very supportive. I am very lucky.
May 25th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes and no. They "get it" but because I've been taking care of myself alone for so long everyone just says "well you know you can get yourself out it and you don't need help."

May 26th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Regular
Not completely. Sometimes they overreact to every little mood swing or bad day, and start asking me,"I think you need to go back on your medicine." They can't understand that everyone, depressed or not, can have a bad day. Other times, when I really am having a hard time, and am feeling quite depressed, they just shrug it off and act like it is nothing.
May 30th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
hmmm.... I don't think they really 'get' it.. they're supportive, but don't really understand, I guess.... A couple of my aunties do, as they've battled depression themselves, but it's not quite the same as having the people you see every (most) day, understand what you're going through..

June 22nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
No....they tried, but they wanted to "fix" me over night & expected the meds to make me all better. They still forget how difficult my days can be & how unstable they can become. It's not something I expect them to totally understand as they're not going through it themselves. I'm lucky in that they don't harp on me but I have to remind them that certain things are more difficult for me than others b/c of it.

June 23rd, 2010, 03:34 AM
Soleil's Avatar Happy & Blessed
I am thankful that my parents "get it" and my husband is amazing about my depression.

However... if I have a particularly rough day or week I'll be asked "Honey, did you take your effexor today?"

That drives me NUTS!!!
August 3rd, 2010, 06:13 PM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
No, not at all. They refuse to even acknowledge it, let alone provide support emotionally with it. We just don't talk "deep stuff", it is all surface blah blah talk what there, mostly they are online 24/7 playing computer games, and it is so very hard I guess impossible, really, for me to start talks about what's going on with me, because I've gotten so used to stuffing it down, denying, sucking it up, putting on the happy face. The people I have opened up to emotionally and allowed myself to connect with have hurt me badly and/or broken my heart, so I have to take responsibility that I do not help the situation or express just how badly I am hurting...I don't dare to. Plus, my parents let my daughter & I live here, well they talked me into it when I left abusive ex 2 1/2 years ago & needed a safe place, so I feel I have no right to ask anything more of them, where would I be without this roof over my head, how much more do I expect from others...

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search