Anyone ever expereicne intrusive thoughts?

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2010, 09:41 AM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, lol...I deff post a lot about my obsessions.....I really am a happy-go-lucky gal....this is just an outlet for me. Sorry....=0(

I used to struggle with both obsessions and compulsions.......now it's mostly obsessions. Once in a while I have intrusive thoughts. (which I know is very characteristic of ocd) They cause me GREAT distress.....are sooo uncomfortable, and frighten me. A lot of times they are about my dd.......like harming her. NOW...before I say anymore........I WOULD NEVER do these things...it's almost as if my brain puts them through my mind to cause me the distress....in which it succeeds. It's uncomfortable to talk about this but because I am a strong beleiver in being upfront about yourself in order to be healthy, I'm taking the plunge here. My therapist says that my obsessions revolve around guilt alot of times.............which is also why I developed anorexia 9 yrs ago; a way of depriving myself. There is NOTHING in the world that would hurt me more or cause me as much pain as if something happened to my dd. This is why she says I have intrusive thoughts about it.......it is a way of causing myself more pain. I tend to feel guilty, obsess, or turn things inwards at myself when I am angry about something that I might be unaware of. I hate to feel angry and almost never admit to it.
Soooo...knowing all this, today I feel the presence of these thoughts....they are not actually consuming me, but the fear of experiencing them, is.

Has anone else ever had these? I have read wand wtached several things about this...................the fact that such thoughts cause you distress, is proof that you are not going to do them. People who are serial killers, sexual abusers etc....find pleasure in these thoughts. It really is just my mind having fleeting , disturbing thoughts...and instead of them passing through like wityh most people, who wouldn't even realize they had them, because of the nature of my disorder...they get stuck...BLEH!

on a happier note (trying to stay positive)...I AM SOO EXCITED BECAUSE MY DH AND I ARE GOING TO TRY FOR NUM 2 THIS MONTH; YEAY!....mayeb aI'm a lil nervous about that too

BTW....thanks for being sooo supportive!!! ****hugs*****

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
July 10th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Hunni
I have had these thoughts my whole life i don't puposely think about it but like it just pops in my head...freaks me out
July 21st, 2010, 07:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
sorry im not sharing online anymore thanks

Last edited by missysieling; August 15th, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
July 26th, 2010, 06:33 PM
happymom2Logan's Avatar Soon to be Mommy of 2
I used to deal with intrusive thoughts daily... constantly but that was due to my PTSD and my past issues... after becoming pregnant oddly enough they've disappeared.... they likely do pop up once in a blue moon if I'm alone at night etc.. but they've not been recent.

My old pdoc used to tell me to changed the intrusive thinking into that of positive, which was impossible for me to do, i'd write alot and that did help.

Logan Xavier was born 02/27/10
Weighing 6lbs 9 1/2 oz

August 3rd, 2010, 02:21 PM
HailandNevansmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whats strange, is I just now found out abou tthis "intrusive thoughts" Ive always had anxiety and stuff but when i got pregnant in 08 and up to now ( my son is 15 mo old ) ive had very harsh obsessive intrusive thoughts .. about him getting sick, or hurt, or i obsessed with sids and checked him over and over.. my dd is 12 now, and i never exp that stuff with her.

I ve been choosing something and obsessing over it daily almost, and then new ones emerg and its just ruining my life. Ive ben on zoloft since Nev was 2 weeks old and my thoughts seem to have gotten better in ways and worse in others.

For example I had a weird dream ( i quit smoking 4 weeks ago ) very strange strange inappropriate dream, and ive been obsessing over why i would dream such a thing, or is there any significance to the dream. =( Ive been crying for a few days now just beside myself.. and i really would like to stay away from google as much as possible.

August 3rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
jeweluv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lol...omg google is such a bad thing for people like us!! I get your pain...here is something I have learned that made me feel a lil bettr about my terrible thoughts. They say that people who are like really "sick" or would cause harm to others.....are not disturbed by the thoughts that we are having. We are upset by them and that means that we will not act on them. Everyone has these thoughts it just that with us, instead of it passing through without us barely noticing it...we get fixated, scared of it, and obsess. I know it;s hard...when I get these thoughts i want to crawl in a hole!
I hope everyone is feeling ebtter and just know that you're not crazy.......we obsess because we have a chemical imbalance...its not our fault.

Lee and Erica by Jadelm, on Flickr
August 3rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Exactly .. i read that just yesterday... and thats exactly what I do.. is get "stuck" on negative scary thoughts i have.

Today i kept doing a lot of self talk to get me through it... and said i wont let this thing ruin my happiness and my precious moments with my kids. and kept myself busy. Some days are better than others.

August 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I am experiencing high levels of stress, and the thoughts are getting worse, so i weaned myself on the zoloft on the 5th and broke down yesterday and went to a crisis counsilling place with my story written out , and asked what i should do ??

He said i need to go to my dr tmmrw at my appt and say to him they suggest i get a referral to a psych.. so its the first step to getting help.

I m finding myself eating far less than i used to also.. and have feelings of guilt too.

Here is a good article to read on how to better understand ocd , and pure o ocd, and a good article to send family members or ppl you trust so they can also better understand.

Also i added an article on self help for the intrusive thoughts, and mental compulsions. Hope they help u, and anyone going through the same thing.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

OCD ONLINE - Thinking the Unthinkable

Last edited by HailandNevansmom; August 17th, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
August 19th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Jaxon04NTaylor08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get the exact same thing about my kids! I was told that these thoughts are usually your biggest fears! I would never hurt my kids either but i get these horrible images in my head. When this happens I have to go find something to distract myself from the thoughts.

May 2nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
IndyMommyWannabe's Avatar Always Hoping & Praying
hi there! just found this post - not sure the OP is still on here or around...I just created a thread about intrusive thoughts...just want you to know you are not alone!

IVF=ONLY option

October 2012 = Fresh IVF #1 - retrieved 8, 6 fertilized. Transfer 2. Fail.March 2013 = Frozen #1 - Transfer 2 of 4 left. Fail.
February 2014 = Frozen #2 - Transfer remaining 2 - IMPLANTATION!
8 weeks, D&C - blighted ovum - Triploidy

July 2014 = Fresh IVF #2!

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us!"

Come visit my blog/journal to learn more about our journey - Our Adventure through Infertility
May 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM
why is this person banned?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search