Talk to me about depression/anxiety meds

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
After having a m/c in March and other life events, I can tell I am depressed. usually I can deal with it myself without meds, but I think I am at the point where I need that extra help to just get through the day to day "Stuff". I took zoloft in the past, and it worked alright. Not sure what else is out there that works better, etc. I have also noticed more anxiety in my day to day as well as some mini-panic attacks. Also, I'm not sure if I should talk to PCP or my OB. I don't really have a PCP, and my OB has already asked me several times at a follow up and over the phone how I am doing emotionally. I always say I'm alright and dealing with things, etc. But I feel like I'm a moster most days (but of course nobody can get inside my head and know what I am thinking or how I'm feeling because I can easily put on a happy face!)
July 29th, 2010, 09:32 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
First of all I am so sorry for your loss. Big Hugs to you!

Second if you feel that you need a little help you could either find a PCP or talk to your OB. Either could give you a Rx and follow you on it. But the OB would suggest that you find a PCP because on meds like that they want to check you every 3 months to make sure you are doing ok on them. And remember that you can come here and talk to us anytime you want to!

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

July 29th, 2010, 12:20 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I just popped onto this board and felt inclined to respond to your post.

As for the meds, I would start out talking to your OB, since you have a close relationsip with her and she knows why you are feeling off kilter(it does help to not have to explain it again!). She can start off giving you ideas of what you can take and doing the initial prescription writing. In the meantime, call your PCP and make an appt. When you go, tell them what you are taking and what you are there for (to continue to get checked on the meds). If you are not totally against it, I really, really advocate therapy. Most people feel less inclined to go to talk to someone, but I have seen a therapist for five years and I find that she helps with everything!

There are several different meds you can take. If you are planning on trying again (sorry to have to bring that up), you might want to stick to Zoloft or Wellbutrin. They are the only two that are generally considered safe in pregnancy. If you are not concerned with that at all, there are tons of options. I find that Paxil works really well for anxiety and obsessive thoughts. Prozac is also good. Lexapro and Celexa are commonly prescribed for anxiety as well. They are all good meds, it just depends what you tolerate better. You do have to stay on them for about 4 weeks before you will know the full effects, so it can take a while to figure out the right med for you.

I am soooo sorry you are going through this. We had a recent loss as well and I am feeling some of the same things. I do take Zoloft and see my therapist, which helps greatly. But there are still emotional days where I have some anxiety. Keep in mind that it is "normal" to some extent to feel depressed and anxious. But it does sound like it is affecting your daily life and that means you need to take the next step. I hope things get better
July 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies!
Yes, we are thinking about TTC not sure when or anything, but I'm super paranoid about taking any meds while pregnant. I know a doc will never say "oh thats what caused the m/c" but I was taking motrin and other prescription NSAID (not together ) around the clock from conception until I found out I was pregnant. The perscription was in the class of "do NOT take while pregnant" and one of the side effects can be m/c So it has been really, really difficult to deal with that - even though their is no "test" or anything to prove that is the cause or a contributing factor. Either way, I'm just super paranoid about any meds right now (in fact, I'm still having to take motrin a lot b/c of the pain I've been having w/ my hand - I'm trying to wean myself off but every time I do I get another flare up).

:Sigh: I suppose I should give my OB a call. I have thought about seeing someone - but my schedule really doesn't allow for any type of appts unless I squeeze them into my one hour lunch break. Which, is not easy. Tis the store of my life these days! I know it can be super helpful, and I know when I talk to DH he sometimes doesn't know what to say not ever having to deal with it.

And you know, I don't even know at this point if it is just situational kind of stuff (IE: stress) that is causing the issues. I know when I get stressed, I tend to get more anxiety which usually leads to more depressive type feelings and thoughts. Then again, I have no idea!! I just know that I have been really bad about eating away my feelings, and not motivated generally speaking so yeah.

Sorry for my rambling, but yes I do plan to call my OB (that way I don't have to talk about all over again with a new doc that I just meet). I am due for my annual appt anyways *fun*.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search