Not Doing Well At All...

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Soleil's Avatar Happy & Blessed
Hi,

Long story short... At 5 weeks pregnant I stopped my antidepressant Effexor. go to my OB at 7 weeks and she encourages me to stay on the Effexor. So I stay on it, but by 9 weeks pregnant I need refills so I go to psych to says that it's best to be off antidepressants while pregnant and he sends me home with a weaning off packet.

I am now 11 weeks and am utterly miserable. I cry. I worry. Then I cry and worry some more. The sheer paranioa is out of control. If I call a close friend and she doesn't call back that day, I immediately speculate that she (and my other friends) are all talking about what a wretched person I am and how none of them will ever call me again.

I weigh every word that comes out of my mouth and speculate about it for hours on end afterward. I am extremely self-concious. I am so easily moved to tears that it's sickening. I do not want to talk on the phone to husband when he calls on way home from work. He might get a huge promotion, and I did not show much interest. So much guilt there.

Basically i feel like my world is spiraling.

I called psych. yesterday to tell him all of this and he said he'd call my OB to see what (if any) medicinal route they'd try. He called back and said that he wanted to start me to 20 mg of Prozac. I'd tried Prozac about 6 months ago as it's available in generic, which is much cheaper on our insurance than the Effexor. It didn't do much for me, however; it's possible I did not give it enough time to effect my brain. I started it today.

I am exhausted.

I am not interested in my baby books. I am not excited about being pregnant. I am not eating as healthy as I should be. I am not exercising.

I feel so terrible about this and so so so much guilt -- but those of you who have been clinically depressed know how truly difficult it can be to even shower when you're feeling so blue.

I will be 12 weeks on Monday and go for my NT scan on Friday. All I can think of is that they won't see a heartbeat. We have seen baby's heartbeat 2x. Naturally I am worried because of my 2 miscarriages, but also because of how sad and stressed I have been. I know it's not good for the baby, but it's ridiculously hard to control.

I feel isolated and alone. Part of the illness with paranoia is worrying that if you call people to talk about how awful you feel that they will start hating you and think you're stupid and dumb and obviously unworthy to be a mom.

Then there's the guilt about being on Prozac when pregnant. I have tried about 4 antidepressants, Prozac included... Effexor is all that worke.d

Thanks for listening. Sorry to rant.
August 6th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Regular
I'm in a different birth month club so I've never seen your posts. I searched posts today b/c my OB wants me to wait til the "10weeks" time to restart an antidepressant......I just weaned off Effexor a couple weeks ago.....
I was so peeved at the OB's decision.....part of that is me and part of that is just the OB not having any clue of my history....except what i provided, but I also signed a release for my pdoc......
Feeling your frustration for sure!!!

Sorry, I forgot to add that Wellbutrin is considered a Class B drug. It has the stimulating properties of Effexor too. Check w/ your doc though b/c I would hate to be suggesting something that could be bad for you.
August 6th, 2010, 04:37 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
I would talk to your DR about what medication is best for you. I know taht after a certain point in pregnancy alot of the drugs are conscidered safe. I hope that you start feeling better

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

August 6th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Julienix87's Avatar Loving my Tyler
hey, im visiting this board from the aug 09 playroom. i was also TERRIFIED to be on meds during my pregnancy. ive been on several different meds for aniexty and depression. but i took 20mg of prozac my whole pregnancy, and during breastfeeding. it was awesome. i felt really well about things. baby came out fine. My OB and Perinatologist told me that it is better for me to be on the meds pregnant, then to try to take the pregnancy w/out the meds. Bc the worrying and all can make u stress and that is bad for u and ur unborn baby..i hope this helps.

August 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Soleil's Avatar Happy & Blessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julienix87 View Post
hey, im visiting this board from the aug 09 playroom. i was also TERRIFIED to be on meds during my pregnancy. ive been on several different meds for aniexty and depression. but i took 20mg of prozac my whole pregnancy, and during breastfeeding. it was awesome. i felt really well about things. baby came out fine. My OB and Perinatologist told me that it is better for me to be on the meds pregnant, then to try to take the pregnancy w/out the meds. Bc the worrying and all can make u stress and that is bad for u and ur unborn baby..i hope this helps.
I can not thank you enough for sharing this.

I know that everyone benefits from different meds, but I am hopeful that Prozac will at least take the edge off.

Thank you again.
August 22nd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Julienix87's Avatar Loving my Tyler
hey..i totally couldnt find this board..i was like, i know i posted..lol..sorry..but u r VERY welcome. im glad it made u feel better. when i found out i was pg i was so nervous. bc im one of those, "what if" type people and i always think something bad will happen..but i stayed pretty happy throughout pregnancy and only got a little post partum depression and i think that was bc my little guy didnt sleep! but he just turned one and he is doing awesome! the prozac had no effect on him at all..if u ever want to chat u can pm me. or find me on facebook..Julie Guy Nixon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search