Hi all

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Hello... I'm Lisa, new here. I'm a mom of three, 24 months x 2 and one 9-week-old. I think I might be depressed and am wondering if anyone here might be able to give me some advice as to yes/no.

Background: I was diagnosed with "severe depression" about 12 years ago, and was prescribed an antidepressant, which I only took for a few weeks because it didn't seem to do much. I also finally got away from the bad relationship I was in and felt better, so I didn't seek further treatment. More recently I went through a period of terrible depression due to infertility & experiencing multiple miscarriages. I never went to a doctor, because I figured it was normal to be depressed going through what I was. I cried all the time, I cut myself off from people in general because I couldn't talk about myself. It was too hard.

Now, I finally have some happiness in my life, since my children were born. But it's been hard also. My husband is very different from me and this has been a source of extreme frustration. As I said I have three kids, 24-month twins and a 9-week baby. Needless to say it's been crazy around here and there is a lot of pressure and difficulty taking care of 3 little ones.

My main symptom now is I feel angry a lot, usually at my husband, never at my kids. We don't want to fight in front of the kids but I get SO furious I can't help myself & we end up yelling at each other. It's awful. I don't want to be like this. Furthermore, I get mad at stupid, day-to-day things which I feel like I should be able to handle .

I also have no motivation these days. I feel worn out, with no energy for anything except my kids, whom I adore. But even with them, I'm not the parent I want to be. I think this is mostly because I have three very little ones & am just physically worn out! lol But partially, I wonder if I feel this way due to depression? When I was diagnosed with severe depression, it was a big surprise to me because I didn't feel all that different than I usually did. So if I was "severe" during a semi-difficult time, then was I "moderate" the rest of the time? I thought I was just going through a hard time and needed some counseling. But a lot of the symptoms I had - most ever since I could remember - were attributed to depression, I was told.

Is depression something you always have and must battle with your entire life? I don't want to be this person anymore. I feel like I go from blah to angry and back again, and that's my life (when I'm not with my kids). What should I do?

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

August 30th, 2010, 12:56 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Hello and Welcome. Infertility and RPL can be hard on a person. And a lot of times with meds it can take up to 6 weeks for you to feel the effects of it. And if the most of your frustration is coming from your relationship then I would suggest going to Marriage counseling It can work wonders at helping you and your husband learn to comunicate better and how to understand each other. And if you feel like you might be getting depressed then talk to your doctor and see what they think. It could be post partum depression. I hope you start to feel better soon!

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search