on klonopin and pregnant!

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
Hi. I just found out that I am pregnant. I have had very bad anxiety and ocd my entire adult life. I am taking .5mg of klonopin a day. I have been told that I need to go off cold turkey. I tried and haven't slept in 2 days and am having terrible withdrawal. I have been on this med for years daily. I do not want to hurt my baby, but fear I will come unhinged and out my body in benzo shock.

Anyone been on klonopin and found out hey were pregnant? If so did you taper off? I am so scared! Any advice?
Thanks,
Holly
September 3rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Who told you to quit cold turkey???? That is the worst advice ever... That will be dangerous for you and your baby if you don't wean yourself off of it carefully and under a doctor's supervision. If a doctor told you this, please get a 2nd opinion!!!

I was on a very high dosage of xanax when I found out I was pregnant (my psychiatrist at the time was a quack.. lol.. and he had me on an insane amount). My psychiatrist I was seeing at the time I found out I was pregnant slowly weaned me off of it. I was still taking xanax throughout my entire 1st trimester, and some of the 2nd, though. He said that was better than quitting cold turkey. Both you and the baby will go through withdrawals if you quit cold turkey. It was hard (especially mentally... I was so scared of not having it), but since I slowly tapered off of the meds, it wasn't terrible.

I'm not a doctor, but I suggest you continue taking your normal dosage until a doctor tells you how to safely wean off it.

Btw, my son was and is healthy even though I was on xanax for a large part of my pregnancy =)

Last edited by k1210; September 3rd, 2010 at 10:04 AM.
September 3rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
Thank you for your advice. My obgyn wants me off by 8 weeks. I just tested positive so she said I can taper. But didn't tell me how. I guess I will cut my pill a little each day for 4 weeks. I will keep posting because I am very scared and need encouragement.
Thanks!
September 4th, 2010, 09:21 AM
The doctor wants me to try Buspar for anxiety while I taper and seroquel to sleep. I used to be on seroquel before. I feel like I am taking more meds to get off the one bad one. Please pray for me to get off klonopin and have a healthy baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search