confessions

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 8th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Bayamount
Hi
I'm new here.. just realised there was a room for mental health
I'm sick. I don't say it often, i try not to show the kids. I've stopped my meds a month ago because of the upcoming pregnancy and well... i'm obviously not doing so great. i was on celexa

any tips?
October 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
HailandNevansmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was on celexa on and off while my daughter (12 now) was growing up .. age 2-8ish (after leaving my ex)... and it helped me at times of depression... and with anxiety... but i was always a worrier and never helped that... also it had a few side effects but still was fine 4 me.

now with my second pregnancy... i became much worse and i mean with the obsessing, worrying, fears and didnt go on anything for fear of it harming the baby..went on zoloft at 2 wks postpartum, and it made everything 100X worse and more severe. Now im off the zoloft for 3 weeks, and im starting to feel a lil bit better ( not a lot as i wish tho )

Ive realized what helps me... ( not sure exactly what your symptoms are ) with my severe anxiety.. is a few diff things...

-taking vit B complex (stresstabs ) daily
-omega fatty acids .. flax seed is a good way to get this everyday.. in your yogurt, cereal or salads
-herbal teas!!! esp when i was pregnant for panic attacks... mint, and lemon, chammomile
-Hylands natural calms for insomnia or times of real panic ( found at supermarket.. i got them at saveon in the wellness section
-excersize ( walking at least once a day even if its raining or not that far even)
-meditation relaxation cds or utube some
-baths
-reading/writing
-STAYING OFF THE COMP as much as possible for me... because its an addiction for me, and its a way for me to compulse. ei.. looking stuff up for reassurance, looking at everyones fb's, surfing too long etc. plus i just feel better in general when i dont over use the internet.

Now these things help , but not take it all away However i feel better than when i was on zoloft... celexa worked well, but prob wouldnt now.. idk.. cause i have a whole new set of symptoms for the last 2 years. Ones that are so much worse than when i was prescribed celexa.. I wish all the best to u.

Last edited by HailandNevansmom; October 8th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
October 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Bayamount
wow.. thanks for taking time to write
October 8th, 2010, 10:57 PM
np I hope it helps

October 9th, 2010, 08:25 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Sorry It took me so long to get back to you. I agree with everything that Hailee&Nevansmom said. Herbal remedies sometimes work better than the meds that are prescribed. Good luck with IVF and you can come talk to us whenever you need to!

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

October 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm honestly surprised to hear of people having luck with anything herbal. I've never known anyone it worked for.

I've been on about 5 different antidepressants in my 20's. I'm on effexor xr now...and it can be taken up until the 3rd trimester for preg moms. We were ttcing for a year, and my dr just kept me on it. Just a thought!
and make sure to be going in to your counsellor/therapist or someone to be talking things through. it's easy, and can make a huge difference!!

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
October 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM
The herbal calms rlly help me for the stress release mostly and thats it at night time.. and herbal teas just for relaxation also. And yes, talking with a therapist ,def works... or even just writing out your thoughts, or things you want to do to change your thinking such as goals, quotes, poems.

As for SSRIs , some work for some ppl, some can actually make a person worse. Its all about experimenting, and trying them out till one works for you. But zoloft scared the crap outta me enough to never take another brain altering drug again as long as i live.

GL to you, and hope you find what works best for you.

Last edited by HailandNevansmom; October 13th, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
October 13th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The only "herbal/natural" thing that has ever worked for me was melatonin (to help with insomnia). I have tried like 6 different sleeping pills. They made my mind race or caused anxiety (either way, they kept me up), or I just didn't feel them at all. My therapist suggested melatonin... and it actually worked! It didn't make me sleepy.. I just noticed I didn't really have as much trouble falling asleep!

I haven't taken in a while; probably because I have been so exhausted and stressed from school, I don't really have a problem sleeping anymore, lol...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search