Hi! I'm Starr, new to this forum...

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2010, 01:25 PM
StarrMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi everyone! Well, obviously Iím new here. I'm in the 9/2007 and 6/2010 playrooms. Hereís my story.

Iím 34 and live just south of St. Louis, MO. Iíve been married for 4.5 years, and we have 2 kids (Xander is 3, Shayla is 6 months). I work full time as an administrative assistant for a wealth manager/financial advisor.

Iíve known I had depression since I was in about 5th grade. I begged my parents for years to take me to a therapist, but they were against it. They arenít big on believing mental disorders, they think you should just Ďlearn to handle your problemsí.

Finally when I was in my 20ís I took it upon myself to get it taken care of, and Iíve been on Effexor XR 75 mg for about 7 years now. It does wonders for my depression. Finally I donít feel like thereís a black cloud over me all the time.

My whole life I have been very, well, lazy. To the extent of getting me in trouble. I always say that the only real fault I have is being lazy, and everything else always seems to come back to that. In school I never did my homework, never studied. Luckily I did well enough overall to get by. I never clean, which causes many fights with my husband. I slack off at work, because I canít make myself do necessary tasks, even when I know avoiding something will get me in big trouble. I never pay bills on time, even if we have the money. As I heard recently, ďHard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off right nowĒ.

I really just always thought I was a bad, lazy person, and that I just am not a very good adult. A friend mentioned the other day that it might be Adult ADD. I honestly had never considered this. I went to a few websites to compare my symptoms, and I was so shocked I literally started crying (at my desk at work!). So much of this sounds just like me. For the first time in my life I realized this might not be all my fault. The idea that there might be treatment options to help me is just too good to be true.

I called my doctor for a psych referral, and I have an appointment for January 5th. I really canít wait. To think I might actually be able to get better is just the best news ever.

Oh, I'm also a compulsive finger picker. My fingers and toes are quite an embarrassment.

Anyway, thatís me in a nutshell. I am really hoping that 2011 might be a GREAT year!

Feel free to share any advice you have. Nice to meet you

Last edited by StarrMom; December 17th, 2010 at 01:30 PM.
January 8th, 2011, 03:11 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
I know that this is really late but I'm glad that you think you have a diagnosis. Since it's already the 8th are there any updates?

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search