Hello

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Hey I'm new to the boards and looking around. I was glad to see this part of the board because I believe that I've been dealing with undiagnosed depression since middle school (I'll be 25 this year). I tried to get my mom to take me to see a doctor about it but got a "Your a teen your not depressed"*laugh* so until 2009 I kept my mouth shut about being depressed because I felt no one would care or I shouldn't feel this way.

While I was pregnant with my first I told my husband of my feelings for the first time (I've talked to very few people about it) and he to me was not very supportive of me wanting to seek treatment. He told me things like "What if the antidepressants/anything else doesn't work what if its something else" so I stayed quiet about it for about another year before bringing it back up. We were suppose to seek out treatment for me with the tax money but its being used to support us because he is out of work for a back injury, which is I understand something that needs to be dealt with ASAP so he can return to work. Sometimes I just feel like if its a problem with him it gets dealt with but if its my problem it doesn't matter. He does finances for us because I am so bad with numbers/money so I feel like if I continue to ask about it he will get annoyed at me, I don't know that he actually would but its how I feel.

I don't even know what kind of doctor to see about this, I've never mentioned it to any previous doctor I've had. We do have a mental health place here in town, I don't know much about them and frankly I'm a little scared to even call and find out how much they cost let alone go. There is this anxiety just welling up in me when I think about getting treatment. I kind of still feel silly about wanting to get help for depression, I mean growing up it was something people just shut up about. It wasn't spoken about and to me is still something you just deal with, I guess I've got the stigma of depression sort of programed into my head and its hard to get over.

If you've made it this far thanks for reading sometimes its just nice to be able to talk about it.
February 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
First of all welcome to JM and welcome to this board. My name is Elizabeth and I'll be 24 in just a few weeks. I have suffered from depression for a lot of my teenage and adult life but it wasn't treated until I was 18. If you think that oyu may have depression then I would urge you to see a DR even a DR at the health department will help diagnose and treat depression and they don't charge for services if you don't have insurance. And depression is one of those things that people think that if they don't acknowlege that this person is having problems that it will go away and they don't have to deal with it. i hope that you stick around this part of the board because even thought it's slow I try to keep it positive and supportive. If you ever just need to talk don't hesitate to PM me.

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

February 14th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hunni
Welcome, I know how you feel, I have been suffereing with BPD since I was a kid, but once my parents divorced all my behaviour was chalked up to dealing with that, I'm 28 and didn't get help until 9 months ago when my son was born and I knew I needed it, I went to talk to my GP about it first, now I have a therapist and a day program.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search