Anyone breastfeeding and on medication?

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2011, 10:59 AM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
I finally contacted my medication prescriber and decided it's time I go back on meds.
I have depression, OCD, and anxiety that have been really bothering me to the point that I have weeks where I'm up until 5 or 6 am every night, then a week or two where I'm falling asleep on the couch by 9:30pm! I also can't go anywhere near certain things, like in large 2 story malls, I can't go near the edge because of images of falling off, throwing myself off, my daughter falling off the edge.. It's horrible and horrifying.

Long story short, after almost 2 years medication free, I'm going back on them for my sake and my daughters.
I had no luck with seroquel, so that's not an option.
I had minimal side effects with Prozac, but I can't really remember if it worked well..

I'm still breastfeeding my 14 month old 3-4 times a day, so I need something breastfeeding safe and with minimal side effects.

This may sound bad, but appetite loss as a side effect wouldn't bother me. I've been eating far too much and could use something like that to cut down on how much I eat.

So..
my questions..
Anyone on medication for OCD, depression, or anxiety and still breastfeeding?
What is it?
What, if any, side effects did you have?
How long did it take for your medication to begin to noticeably work?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
March 30th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
I didn't breastfeed at all. I decided that from the moment we got pregnant that I wouldn't. It just seemed not a good idea to me. Of course, I'm on Lamictal. My step-sister breastfed on Prozac, I believe. I'm not sure if she just didn't take her meds right or if her hormones caused fluctuations but she seemed really... unstable. I know she didn't take her meds right through her pregnancy. She'd take them for a few weeks then quit then pick them up, then quit... did that through her whole pregnancy. After her daughter was born, she claimed to have gone back on permanently. She also stopped breastfeeding at about 7-months. I don't think any drugs are breastfeeding-safe... or at least they won't tell you they are. Too much room for lawsuits. They all have risks you have to weigh. But in the case of SSRIs, you mostly just have to look out for withdrawl symptoms once you do stop breastfeeding... it's less likely the lower dose you're on, though.

Now, forgive my thoughts because, as I said I didn't breastfeed.. but doesn't "appetite loss" kind of defeat the purpose of breastfeeding since the whole point is to provide nutrition? I would think that eating less would provide less nutrients to the body and, by default, to your child. From what I understand, breastfeeding is a pretty calorie-burning activity so it would only be normal that one would eat more while doing it. Of course, I don't know how that works at all with extended breastfeeding. But as I said, I didn't breastfeed so I don't know everything that breastfeeders do.

March 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM
HailandNevansmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i was on zoloft while bf, and it made me so much worse i went offfinally when nev was 15 mo

March 30th, 2011, 04:29 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
I didn't mean massive appetite loss..but I can easily put away 2500 calories a day and I should only have 1,800-2,000 a day, so I wouldn't be upset if I wasn't up to eating everything in sight. I've had trouble losing any weight whatsoever since my daughter was born 14 months ago because of my neverending appetite.

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
April 10th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
Ah. Ok. Well, that certainly clears things up for me. Thanks for the explanation.

April 23rd, 2011, 02:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I took wellbutrin while I was breastfeeding. My ob/gyn and psychiatrist both said it was safe while bf'ing

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search