How open are you with others??

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Super Mommy
How open are you with others? Does your significant other know? your children? Family? Friends? how do you explain it to them? How much do they know? what about strangers?
September 16th, 2011, 06:01 AM
CupcakeJamie's Avatar Got Cupcake?
I'm not open at all. Until a month ago I was closed off from everyone. Now, my husband, his parents and my BIL know and being a very good support. My husband knows everything. Because I'm letting him in for the first time ever. His parents know most since they were there when I self destructed last month. His BIL knows some, whatever my husbands told him.

My friends know if they read my blog and strangers too but I haven't really opened up with them.
September 16th, 2011, 06:27 AM
LoveMySonshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm semi open, but only with a few close friends. They know I'm depressed, but they don't know the details.
September 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Super Mommy
How open are you with others? not very open

Does your significant other know? Originally, every little thing my DH was nervous about with me so I never told him anything. Recently because of our new doctors and his second hypo-manic period has left him more open to seeing his issues and that I have to deal with my own issue, but gave us each clear signs to know when we need to ask for more help.

your children? My son knows that we have head boo-boos and that we have to take medication.

Family? They know we have diagnosis but my family feels ANYone would be diagnosed as bipolar probably because most of mine would. DH's family knows the diagnosis but don't care to go into it but will take our son for a month when we aren't doing good. My grandma knows a lot because for some reason I can't give short one word answer when she asks things.

Friends? 4 close friends know because either they have had family mental illness issues, or they've seen and taken care of our child as we are not healthy enough.
September 16th, 2011, 06:23 PM
IndyMommyWannabe's Avatar Always Hoping & Praying
How open are you with others?
I'm really not. I do talk to others about being "stressed out" at work and I have casually mentioned that I have "OCD" but I never go into the true details about the "Pure O" that I have...most people associate OCD with compulsions such as checking, hand-washing, cleaning, etc...and for some reason, for me, it's easier for people to think I have that then to explain what "Pure O" (obessive thoughts) really is...I don't actually have compulsions (although I sometimes triple check to make sure the stove is off...but no where near what people with true compulsions do). But my "Pure O" is about violent/sexual obsessive thoughts

Does your significant other know?
He knows I see a therapist over my OCD - although I've told him once a little bit about my obsessive thoughts - but he really couldn't tell you if he was asked. He also knows about my GAD (anxiety disorder)...as I told him last week my therapist thinks I should see a shrink and talk about medication...(my therapist isn't a medical doc)...and he agrees that if I feel like I need further help...

Your children?
Don't have any yet - TTC our first.

Family?
I've only really talked about this with my mom once - right before I started seeing a therapist - but she actually understood what I was talking about, with the violent thoughts...and she also said my grandmother had GAD really bad before she died.

Friends?
Just my best friend. She's really the only one who knows.

How do you explain it to them? How much do they know? what about strangers?
Again, I really don't tell anyone. I just deal with it in my own little world...honestly - to most people - I'm like anyone else with a mental health issue - I don't wear it on my sleeve and you'd never know what I deal with when just meeting me. I will/do open up to people if a conversation is about mental health.

TTC for too darn long...4 years...Started March 2010
February 2014 - IVF #3 - blighted ovum
Life sucks.

Come visit my blog/journal to learn more about our journey - Our Adventure through Infertility

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search