zoloft and pregnancy

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Veteran
Hi All
I am looking for some advice and feedback, stories, etc.
I am currently on Lexapro and slowly tapering off it with my doctors help. I am down to 5mg.
I am also trying to conceive my 1st child with DH.

My OB said that the safest thing for my baby would be for me to not be on any meds IF i get pregnant, but that if I need to be on something that Zoloft is the best and safest option for pregnant mothers and breastfeeding.

I obviously would prefer to be on nothing but have noticed that im getting very moody lately as im tapering off lexapro and im wondering if maybe going on a lowdose of zoloft is really the best option.

I know that once you conceive that your hormones go out of whack and I just want to do the safest thing for myself and my baby. My dr. said sometimes to ensure a calm mother (no anxiety) is to have her on zoloft during pregnancy as that (in some cases) is safer than being on nothing and potentially having really bad anxiety, stress, mood swings during pregnancy.

What do you all think? have any of you been on zoloft during and after pregnancy? Any feedback would be great.

I also suffer from bullimia but have had it under control for about 6 months now.
March 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM
To be honest, I have been seeing a ton of commercials in regards to Zoloft.....
It keeps saying: If you wee taking zoloft during ur pregnancy and now ur child has malformations and abnormalities, cal blah blah blabh lawyers...
So, that lets me know that Zoloft has been reported to cause malformalities in babies.....?
I used to be on Cipralex before I got pregnant. I am not on it now, and I am a nut-case, seriously! So, I went to my doc today determined to get some meds for my depression and mood swings, and he really recommended that i don't take any meds at all. Keep in mind that the doc I have is the best, he is very well known and I was on wait list for 2 years and 4 months to get him as my family doc. He is now no longer accepting any more patients until the day that he retires.......he is full! He has won three awards from UBC as well.
However, I am not saying that u should suffer, either, becuz pregnancy in itself is very emotilanl and challenging. Ask ur doc about Cipralex.
If u think u can do it witbhout meds, then go for it, stay as natural as possible.
If I were u, I would try my best to not go on any meds and get off everything before I got pregnant. However, it won't be easy, but i am here for u no matter what u decide.
March 16th, 2012, 01:11 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I too had been on Lexapro prior to getting pregnant and tapered off prior to conceiving. I did well the first several weeks of pregnancy, when you're just so excited and happy, but that deteriorated and I needed to go on a low-dose Zoloft to help stabilize my moods. Best thing I ever did, it got me through my pregnancy without killing anyone (or myself, for that matter)! My son is now 2 and has no problems, he is perfect. I continued to take my same dose (25 mg) while breastfeeding and had no issues with him in that regard. Good luck!
Sva likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search