Did (do) you chose to medicate or not?

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Missa_Mae
  • 1 Post By LUSHaye
  • 1 Post By smsturner

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2012, 03:53 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
For those who have been pregnant, TTC or are currently expecting - did you chose (or plan to chose) to medicate for your anxiety/depression or try natural ways (yoga, relaxation, etc.)?

I've heard mixed reviews on this. Obviously you want to be the healthiest you can be to carry the baby and severe anxiety/depression can make that difficult. A lot of emotions are battling inside you, hormones are on fire, etc.

I recently started BuSpar a week ago, very low dose only 7.5 mgs & plan to increase in a few weeks. We are TTC right now but this is the "safest" med I was able to feel comfortable taking if/when I become pregnant. I feel that if I can stablize my anxiety then my pregnancy will go "smoother" ... no extra worries you know? I def plan to continue my therapy as well.

So just curious on what everyone else has done or is planning on doing?
lapoema likes this.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

July 31st, 2013, 10:08 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have taken medication during one of my pregnancies and I will never do it again. My blood sugars were very high during that pregnancy (there was a lawsuit later against this drug for causing diabetes), the other drug I took has been linked to autism and my son was premature, had failure to thrive, developmental delays, vision problems, and he is autistic. This may not have been due to my meds but I have had so much guilt about it that I just won't do it again.

I take medication now but I'm not pregnant, ttc, nursing, or anything that concerns me.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
August 1st, 2013, 08:10 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am currently pregnant and taking Zoloft.
During my 1st trimester my OB had me drop the dosage to 50mg and now that I am in my 2nd Tri i am back up to 100mg. With all of the emotional stress and anxiety I have had lately (no longer with the babys father and going through a divorce with my 1st childs father) She advised me it would be more dangerous for me to go off of the medication.

I have heard mixed reviews on being on medication while pregnant. Thus far I have not had any problems.

August 1st, 2013, 10:45 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoes_Mommy View Post
I am currently pregnant and taking Zoloft.
During my 1st trimester my OB had me drop the dosage to 50mg and now that I am in my 2nd Tri i am back up to 100mg. With all of the emotional stress and anxiety I have had lately (no longer with the babys father and going through a divorce with my 1st childs father) She advised me it would be more dangerous for me to go off of the medication.

I have heard mixed reviews on being on medication while pregnant. Thus far I have not had any problems.
I don't want to upset you but Zoloft was the other medication I took. My son has autism but we also have a family history of it (my brother has it).
Antidepressant use in pregnancy may raise autism risk - CNN.com

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
August 1st, 2013, 11:47 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks patty! I will check the article out.
My Dr said it was one of the more safer drugs to take and honestly I don't know how I could cope with everything going on not being on medication. I ended up splitting up with my bf who I am having a baby with and I am still in the process of getting divorced from Zoe's dad. Just alot of stress and anxiety.
I will pray for the best and hope by taking Meds i don't cause any bad complications to my little one.

August 1st, 2013, 11:48 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm really hoping I won't have to take anything. I refused it after a few days when they first tried putting me on Lexapro. That was years ago though. I worry a bit that when I do become pregnant, that my emotions are going to go nuts on me. But I am planning on jumping into yoga and I have some simple activities that make me happy, like going to the library. Should none of that help, I'll probably just stick with my counselor at my school. She's been awesome.
Another thing is writing. I'd love to get a pregnancy journal. I would have to let my SO read it though because otherwise I would become too secluded. And that's when I could see things getting bad.
..Michelle.. likes this.
August 14th, 2013, 07:04 PM
BriarRose's Avatar Steampunk Goddess
After Lexapro gave me a pseudo-stroke last summer I will not take any meds ever again. My whole right side went numb, I could not move my body and I could not think or even remember how to dial a phone. It scared me off taking anything again. I take supplements, exercise, meditate and do yoga and positive affirmations. Luckily for me that is enough to keep me in check most of the time. I think the fear of ending up back in the ER again helps keep me doing my exercises when I start to feel myself slip.
August 19th, 2013, 03:02 PM
amandabanana's Avatar Veteran
I currently take 60mg of Citalopram and hubby and I are TTC and I'm wondering if I should get off my medication before I get pregnant, or maybe after. I'm not really sure because I don't want to take any risks.
August 26th, 2013, 07:12 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm currently pregnant AND taking meds and not the least bit guilty or shameful about it!

Stress and depression are very bad for you and your baby. If you NEED the meds you NEED the meds. ESPECIALLY if you are a self harmer.
Talk with your dr, they know more than us. In general, the anti depressants are trimester dependant on the category they fall in, mostly being discouraged in the third trimester.

They should talk with you about other options too, like talk therapy and counseling, etc. Many times a combination works best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post
I have taken medication during one of my pregnancies and I will never do it again. My blood sugars were very high during that pregnancy (there was a lawsuit later against this drug for causing diabetes), the other drug I took has been linked to autism and my son was premature, had failure to thrive, developmental delays, vision problems, and he is autistic. This may not have been due to my meds but I have had so much guilt about it that I just won't do it again.

I take medication now but I'm not pregnant, ttc, nursing, or anything that concerns me.
Wow. I honestly can't believe we finally got a mod for this board where women need love and support and encouragment and it's one that doesn't seem to be giving it, unless you choose her same choices.

For one thing - autism has no known cause, besides the ones that are inherited. They think a zillion things 'raise the risk'. I have a son on the spectrum. I took no drugs whatsoever, or did anything that could have caused it. I also have none in my family. It just happens. We don't understand it all yet. Hopefully someday we will.

The other things sound like complications from your gestational diabetes and premature birth. Which is very sad, and I'm really sorry you've had to deal with it, but this is not the place to discourage depression treatment. If you choose not to medicate yourself, that's good for you, that's your choice, but to actively shame others that might choose that very thing is really crappy coming from a mod. Some of us actually truly need the meds to function. We can't do anything else. And to suggest they are giving their children autism is super harsh.

This makes me really sad. I'd hate to see the board some of us need turn into an anti-meds board. It's not the best choice for everyone, and sometimes it's downright harmful.
Missa_Mae likes this.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
September 1st, 2013, 01:45 AM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took meds my first pregnancy. I was on Ativan (Lorazepam) and Celexa (Citalopram). I could not stop taking the Ativan because of family history of seizures. Our son was born with many, many problems and died as a result. I am currently stopping my Ativan (stepping down 0.5mg at a time) under my doc's close care.
It's hard, GOD it's hard. My brain produces too much seratonin and my meds regulate that....with out them....it's getting scary. I would NOT advise quitting anything without close supervision from your doc / psych. It's already been planned that, when we do get a BFP, if I need help I will be admitted to a private room in the hospital for psych care. I am not a self harmer, I feel I could hurt others when I'm manic.
I love the pregnancy journal idea. I'll put that one in my back pocket if/when I need it

December 12th, 2013, 06:12 AM
lapoema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took Zoloft during the third trimester of my second pregnancy. I didn't want to but it wasn't really an option for me-- I was that bad. Anyway, my daughter was/ is perfectly fine.
January 1st, 2014, 11:22 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was on medication (Lamictal and Seroquel) when I got pregnant with my second pregnancy. Pdoc advised me to stop everything which I did. I went back on Lamictal at 11 weeks. I needed to for my mental health. I went up on the dosage as was needed. I had healthy twins at 35.5 weeks. Premature birth is common with twins. Average delivery date for twins is 36 weeks.

The twins have had a PsychoEducational Evaluations including the WISC, at the end of Kindergarten, for the Gifted program. They made the criteria so they obviously don't have any cognitive side effects. They don't have physical problems as a result. The asthma and allergies are most like from being a little early and hereditary from me. Baby A is a little over active I think but was also smaller at birth and had a side effect from a medication used to stop labor. They did an ultrasound to check for the problem, saw she had it, so they stopped the med. The side effect went away.

All of that said... I'm off meds, right at a year now and 13 weeks pregnant. My mood has gradually been going down and my irritation level is going up. DH noticed and said something. I'm going back to the Pdoc and we'll see when I should go back on meds (Lamictal). I will definitely be back on a couple weeks before I'm due. The risk on ppd is waaaaaay too high for me personally.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search