Question about pain and anxiety...

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Missa_Mae

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2013, 07:01 AM
LadybugBanana's Avatar Veteran
Hello! I have a question that I am having trouble deciding an answer to.
I suffer from Panic Disorder and GAD and Depression. I am currently 7 weeks pregnant, and taken off of all meds cold turkey. After about 2 weeks of panic my Dr has put me on Buspar to help with the anxiety(so far no difference).
Ok, my anxiety usually comes from pain in my body. I feel a strange pull or sensation and I have destructive thoughts that turn it into me being close to death. How do you differentiate between the anxiety and true pains?
I have had a constant headache for 3 months now (even before the pregnancy) that is just getting worse. The right side of my head feels like it is going to explode, as if it is squeezing against my skull and brain will leak out. This morning was the icing on the cake, I woke up and my right eye cannot focus. Everything is blurry in just the 1 eye. My Dr has done bloodwork and tells me it is just anxiety and muscle tension. I hat a CT Scan done last Feb because I had fallen and hit my head, they were checking for trauma. In 14 months a lot can happen, I really just want to get it checked to rule out anything. Even on the anxiety medication it did not get any better. I have gone to physical therapy and massages to help with tension. Meditation and medication to help with the anxiety. Yet this headache is always there. My Dr is also my uncle, so I trust him. But at what point to I demand he does more to make sure everything is ok? Can they rule out dangerous disorders and issues of the head with blood work? I try not to google and research these things as they make my anxiety flare up.
I do not know what the next step is and I feel very lost. This pregnancy is already causing enough physical strain on my body, finding the cause for the headache would life quite a lot.
June 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Well you could always get a 2nd opinion from another Doctor.
However, have you ever heard of tension headaches? I suffered frem them for years before I got my anxiety under control and they were terrible.

Why were you taken off all your meds? Usually quitting cold turkey is not recommended - unless it's a med that is a class D or lower.

I would talk to your OB about your anxiety and maybe make an appointment with a Neurologist to get a 2nd opinoin on your headache.

Good Luck!
I have GAD and I started on a low dose of Zoloft when I was around 7 weeks pregnant with my now 2 1/2 month old daughter and she is perfectly healthy. The Zoloft really helped me relax and calm down and I didn't really have any anxiety issues during my pregnancy (I am still currently taking it and BF'ing)
MommytoZoeAlyssa likes this.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

June 6th, 2013, 12:42 PM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also used to get and still do from time to time tension headaches and they are painful.
I am also on Zoloft and it has made a huge difference in me. If i miss a dose I can tell and so can everyone around me.
I agree with the above post maybe get a 2nd opinion from another Dr. Hope everything gets better!

June 8th, 2013, 07:13 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have anxiety and I've taken buspar before and it's helped me but if you're used to something stronger I'm not sure how well it would work.

I get frequent migraines and have read a lot on headaches because of this. Your headache sounds like a new daily persistent headache or NDPH. Here's a link with some info on it. You might want to see if you can get a referral to a neurologist.
Got A Headache That Won’t Go Away? It Might Not Be A Migraine « CBS Chicago

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search