"Happiness is a choice"

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pattyandthemoos
  • 1 Post By pattyandthemoos

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2013, 09:06 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
What do you think when you hear this?

I have more or less been told that my depression is my fault, (my choice, whatever) and that I need to choose to be happy. I hate this saying "happiness is a choice" because to me it implies that anyone that is depressed is choosing to be that way. It just infuriates me. I would love to be happy all the time but I can't control my moods, which is why I take medication and do things like exercise to try to manage my moods. I think people that say this are simple minded, don't know much about mental illness, and/or have never been depressed.
MommytoZoeAlyssa likes this.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
August 1st, 2013, 09:15 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think in a sense you can have a positve outlook on life but as far as happiness being a choice I think it is much more indepth than just choosing oh I am going to be happy. I have had alot on my plate lately and some days i simply can not be that strong and postive happy person I would like to be. Some days i am just flat out sad and i just want to lay in bed and cry all day long and that is with me being medicated. I think some people just don't take the time to understand that having a mental illness is more indepth than they think. So happiness being a "choice" eh in a sense you can help yourself to strive towards being happy and staying postive vs bringing yourself down and being negative. Just my take though!

August 1st, 2013, 11:24 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoes_Mommy View Post
I think in a sense you can have a positve outlook on life but as far as happiness being a choice I think it is much more indepth than just choosing oh I am going to be happy. I have had alot on my plate lately and some days i simply can not be that strong and postive happy person I would like to be. Some days i am just flat out sad and i just want to lay in bed and cry all day long and that is with me being medicated. I think some people just don't take the time to understand that having a mental illness is more indepth than they think. So happiness being a "choice" eh in a sense you can help yourself to strive towards being happy and staying postive vs bringing yourself down and being negative. Just my take though!
I'd agree with that. I think I can choose to take my meds and do positive things to help me stay happy. I can choose to have a good attitude, but that doesn't mean I won't still struggle with depression. I just don't think it's as simple as that.
MommytoZoeAlyssa likes this.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
August 1st, 2013, 12:45 PM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree! No matter how much you try and explain it to someone if they do not know about depression or other mental illness they simply will not understand the stuggles that you do face no matter what you do and how postive you keep yourself!

August 1st, 2013, 01:00 PM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I heard that a lot when my depression really started peaking. The guy I was with at the time didn't understand it. I think I tried telling him it was like waking up sad and just staying that way. He said he could never wake up sad. He ended up being...not good anyways. Being with someone that states you have to be happy all the time (but doesn't try to help you with your happiness) when you just can't...bad news bears. If happiness is a choice, why can't an understanding attitude be a choice, too? Lots of double standards with that dude.
I'm much better at managing my moods. I can generally feel when something isn't right (when I can't quite pinpoint it) and then instead of completely giving into my sadness and letting it destructively isolate me, I can work through the thought process of what's making me feel so bad. So it's not just a switch I can flick.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search