Having kids?

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By pattyandthemoos
  • 1 Post By smsturner
  • 1 Post By steampunk
  • 1 Post By Spottts

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2013, 06:32 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Did people or your doctor give you a hard time about having kids because of your illness?

When I was younger and first started talking to my doctor about having kid they treated me like I should never have kids because of my bipolar. Like, I wouldn't be able to manage it without meds and even made me feel like I wouldn't be capable of being a mom. But I have done really well with my life. I have 5 kids. We have a six bedroom house, homeschool, and are pretty happy.
lapoema and ..Michelle.. like this.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
August 26th, 2013, 06:52 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No one did, except for me.
I have a major depressive disorder that holds the hand of my adhd.
I was excited, but worried, now I find I have a hard time judging how I do. I really get down on myself over it. And the fact that both of my kids have inherited the ADHD part of me, I have a hard time not guilting the heck out of myself for it.

As far as doing it without meds? I can't. I tried, I need them to function.
..Michelle.. likes this.

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
August 26th, 2013, 08:00 AM
steampunk's Avatar TTC #1!
This is one of the reasons we are waiting. I am trying to see how functional I can get before having kids. I am worlds better than I used to be but still have my bad days. I will make sure my OB knows I have a history of depression so they can watch me for PPD. My mother had mental issues that she never sought help for and denied they were there and it screwed me up. Won't let that happen to my kid.
..Michelle.. likes this.
August 31st, 2013, 01:27 PM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going off my meds so we can try. I think I'm losing my mind. I have depersonalization disorder and it's really messing with me lately.
So far everyone has been really supportive considering my last PG ended up with Roman sick and dying. We all know I can't be on my meds if we're trying and my doc, my psych and family have all been pretty cool with everything.....so far. Not sure how they'll act if I end up hospitalized again for my bipolar.

December 12th, 2013, 06:19 AM
lapoema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My doc says if I want to get pregnant again I would have to taper off my meds first and have regular counseling/ psych visits during the entire pregnancy. Last pregnancy I had to take meds, and I don't want to do that again if possible, so I doubt I will be TTC again.
December 23rd, 2013, 01:32 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only had one nurse give me a very hard time about having kids. I had been in the hospital due to preterm labor for days. It was the 3rd time I was admitted and was starting to feel worse emotionally. She suggested I get a tubal and my kids should go into foster care. She and her Southern Baptist Pastor husband prayed for "people like me." After I cried, she back pedaled really fast and didn't mean to "offend" me. Night Nurse Barbara, I won't ever forget you. Let's hope I don't see your face with this pregnancy. It took me years to not feel extremely angry about this treatment.

My psychiatrist and psychologist were both fine with me having more kids. After DD 1, I gave myself a hard time about feeling defective and like I shouldn't be allowed to have kids. But, therapy really helped.
..Michelle.. likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search