Your diagnosis

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pattyandthemoos
  • 1 Post By oceanwaves

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2013, 10:27 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
How long did it take for doctors to correctly diagnose you? Were you ever misdiagnosed?

I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was 18 and I think my symptoms were pretty obvious. I also had a strong family history of it so I think I knew and they knew that this was what was wrong. I've known others with bipolar that were not correctly diagnosed for years. I always feel bad and I think I am really good at spotting bipolar symptoms. I have friends that have bipolar and a lot of times I can tell if they have problems with talking super fast or not sleeping for days or stuff like that.
..Michelle.. likes this.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
September 19th, 2013, 01:31 AM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started having problems in 1995 when I was 17 years old. I was dating an older guy (he was 35) and my parents kicked me out of the house. I had to find a place to live and work and finish high school. Of course it didn't work out with the guy so my doctor just thought it was "teenaged angst" and mild depression. I suffered until 2001 when I self-admitted to an inpatient facility. I was there for 12 days and was FINALLY properly diagnosed with bipolar 1 along with depersonalization disorder, social anxiety and panic disorder.

September 19th, 2013, 07:03 AM
oceanwaves's Avatar WTTC
I have had several guesses but never an actual diagnosis. All the doctors wanted to do was drug me, and I wanted therapy without drugs. I know that I have PTSD and anxiety, and am either bipolar or have depression.
..Michelle.. likes this.
September 19th, 2013, 02:08 PM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Goddess View Post
I have had several guesses but never an actual diagnosis. All the doctors wanted to do was drug me, and I wanted therapy without drugs. I know that I have PTSD and anxiety, and am either bipolar or have depression.

I'm not surprised all they wanted to do is drug you. That's why I admitted myself for care. My family doc (just a general doc) wanted me to try meds until I "felt" better and nothing was working. I finally got the combo of therapy AND meds. Without them both at the beginning, I doubt I would have been this strong later.

September 22nd, 2013, 02:48 PM
amandabanana's Avatar Veteran
When I was a teenager I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and now as an adult I've been diagnosed with Panic Disorder, which seems to fit me better.

December 7th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At first I was just labeled as postpartum depression I think. I talked the OB and they sent me up with a Pdoc. I was so alarming they wouldn't let me leave their office until I had appointment with a Pdoc scheduled.

I was on Zoloft only for 2 weeks only? Before the dx was changed to bipolar. It wasn't until years later I learned I also had a dx of PTSD. I had thought so but my pills were working for the bp so what did another dx matter? Childbirth was not the reason for the PTSD.
December 12th, 2013, 06:21 AM
lapoema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Major depressive disorder and possible bipolar 2 with paranoia (the last part I don't agree with, lol).

In the past I have also had issues with anxiety, OCD and self-harm.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search