Have you ever stopped taking medication?

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pattyandthemoos

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2013, 10:32 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
If so how did you go off of them? Did you work with your doctor or just stop taking them? What was/is your experience with life without meds?

For most of my life I have not taken medication. When I was younger I did but then when I started having kids I stopped taking them. I didn't work with my doctor I just quit taking them. Probably not the best way to do things but that's what I did. I've been taking medication for over a year now and I've thought about stopping them because sometimes I feel just fine but I know when I don't take my lithium my moods can get severe and out of control. There may be a point where I want to stop taking meds and if I do I imagine that I won't work with my doctor because doctors are never supportive of this. But, lithium has a lot of side effects. I have to get my blood levels checked regularly and sometimes I question whether it's good for my long term health. For now though, I don't want to mess with anything.
..Michelle.. likes this.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
September 19th, 2013, 01:38 AM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For a long time I was taking a pretty good cocktail that works for me. I was on 6mg of Ativan a day, 40mg of Celexa a day and 100mg of Trazodone a day. But now that we're trying to have a baby I'm working with my doctor to cut off everything before we actively try. I'm currently on 0.25mg of Ativan a day, 10mg of Celexa and no longer taking Trazodone. Doc said I may be able to stay on the Celexa during my pregnancy if needed so we shall see!
Since I have a family history of seizures (my brother does) it's not recommended to suddenly stop SSRI meds. So we're gradually weening down under close doctor care.

Last edited by ..Michelle..; September 19th, 2013 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Spelling errors :/
September 19th, 2013, 07:05 AM
oceanwaves's Avatar WTTC
I just went off of mine. They made life even worse so I ave up and worked holistic. I do NOT recommend it if you have a doctor who will work with you, mine would not. I have bad days but they are getting fewer and farther in between and less severe.
September 22nd, 2013, 02:45 PM
amandabanana's Avatar Veteran
I am currently in the process of getting off my medication. I've been on 60mg of Celexa for over 5 years and my doctor is very supportive of my decision and I am getting off it gradually. In a month I'll be down to taking only 20mg and will go in to see him again and then we'll slowly taper off even more until I'm down to none. I've been TTC for almost 3 months and really just want to be med free so I don't have to worry about it when we do conceive.

December 12th, 2013, 06:27 AM
lapoema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, a year or two ago. I then had a major depressive episode that was so bad I couldn't function. When I ended up calling the crisis line, i knew I had to go back on my meds. I had gained 60 lbs from not exercising during that time too, now I'm still working on getting it off.
December 23rd, 2013, 06:34 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't take meds until after I had my first child. I had needed it before but never sought help. There was a med that was causing side effects I didn't like and started going off it myself. I let my Pdoc know when I went in next so we could try something else.

When I got pregnant the second time I was advised to stop cold. I went back on one med at 11 weeks.

This time I worked with my Pdoc to go off meds to get pregnant. It took 2 months to go off Fluxoetine and 3 to go off Lamictal. It took 7 months to get a pregnancy that would "stick." I'm supposed to go back to check in now that I'm pregnant, but I'm feeling normal pregnant stuff so I haven't been back. I will go eventually though.
July 7th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran
I'm currently weaning off of Effexor XR after getting a BFP. Let me tell you, it's been awful the way my dr told me to do it. She told me to take it every other day and then after the 10th day, no more. It was not working at all. I read a lot of information and have weaned myself down slower over 30 days and will be off. My doc is just a general practitioner, but it's so important to wean slowly. If you can do it before TTC, please do! I don't have any self harming, or harming others. My issues are mainly anxiety related and sadness after my dad passed, so I feel comfortable going off them during pregnancy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search