Depression, Meds, Switching Psychiatrists

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2013, 10:26 PM
alliebeecher's Avatar Veteran
I've had dysthymia with recurring major depressive episodes since I was around ten years old (I'm 31 now). Before I got pregnant, my med cocktail (which worked wonderfully) was as follows:

Cymbalta 60mg
Viibryd 20mg
Abilify 10mg
Vyvanse 30mg (for ADD and depression-related fatigue)

When I told my pdoc I was pregnant, he immediately pulled me off all of my meds and replaced them with 15 mg/day of Buspar (intending to have me ramp up slowly to 30mg).

At first I was doing fine, mood swings and brain zaps aside. But at 10 weeks I'm getting some obvious depression creeping in and it's starting to affect how I function.

I saw the pdoc yesterday and his only response was to berate me for not doing cardio every day (the only way to stabilize my moods during pregnancy, according to him). He got so intense with me that I cried in his office, which was really embarrassing. The experience left me feeling really upset, insulted, and demeaned.

I've had a "maternal psychiatrist" recommended to me by a friend, and I emailed her today requesting an appointment. My fear is that she won't take my insurance, and I can't afford to pay out of pocket right now.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to vent all of this. If anyone has any insight or can relate, let me know.
November 27th, 2013, 02:19 AM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to congratulate you on basically stopping all your meds in one day! I've been working on getting off mine for a LONG time so we can TTC again. Seriously, congrats!
As for your pdoc, can you get another one? Are you comfortable with that? I know mine said as soon as I do get PG he will stop seeing me all together and prescribe me nothing at all. He knows our son died from med complications while he was in utero and won't have any part of that if/when we do get preggo.
Why does he simply assume cardio will get you out of a funk and happy go lucky? Because it stimulates Oxygen flow and heart/blood flow? Um, maybe true but for me that's the last thing I need. My heart starts beating 200 per second it seems when I'm spazzing out, I so don't need to add cardio workouts to that mix!
I truly hope you can get into the maternal psych and hope he/she works out for you! and best wishes!

December 7th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was on Lamictal and Seroquel when I got pregnant (was due Feb. 2007). Pdoc had me go off everything immediately. I was charting to avoid (exDH didn't pull out) so I knew when I was pregnant quickly.

I was having such a hard time with depression and anxiety, Pdoc and OB were okay with me going back on Lamictal. I was able hold off on meds until I was 11 weeks. It was at the appointment OB reassured me I could take the meds. The possible side effects were better than me without meds at that point.

I had twins and they were born healthy. They were born a month early but it's very common with twins. I swear one twin is undxed ADHD but functions well at school so I leave it alone. Other twin is super focused. They have allergies and asthma but I have allergies also.

I'm due in July with baby 4 now but will most likely go early so I read the June board, too. I haven't been on medications for almost a year, got off when TTC, but will go back on something before I have the baby. After DD 1 the drop was terrible. That was before I knew I had bipolar disorder.
December 9th, 2013, 09:04 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Gosh your doctor doesn't sound very nice. I can't say I love my doctor either. I almost told him to **** off the last time I talked to him. LOL. But, I don't get along well with docs so I doubt I'll find one I like better.

Can you talk to your ob about things? Maybe he/she would be willing to write you something. I will say that exercise makes a HUGE difference with my moods. I don't do alot of cardio either. Maybe you can pop over to the mommy fitness board (link in my sig). I do alot of the exercises in our challenges subforum during the day and it really makes a difference with my moods. The thing is it's hard to get going when you're feeling down but if you can do a little it might help boost your mood. (((((HUGS))))

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search