Don't want to see my doc

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2014, 09:15 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I'm seriously thinking about weaning off my lithium. I have been taking it for over a year now and yeh, it may have made my mood swings a little better but I still feel like my bipolar is not under control. My moods change every few days. When I am on the manic/hypomanic side I have alot of energy and a ridiculous sex drive. But then I will get depressed, out of nowhere, and feel severely depressed/suicidal at times. I have tried a number of medications over the years and lithium is the only one that really helped at all, and now I don't feel like it is doing much.

My problem is, I miss pills more often than I should. I try very hard not to and certainly don't do it on purpose. I've tried putting my pills in a weekly pill box and I still forget. I wake up the next morning just to see I forgot to take Tuesday night's pills. I've put an alarm on my phone and I still miss pills. I just get busy and forget. It's not purposely forgetting. So, anyway, when I talk to my doc about things he just acts like an @## an says well of course your moods are bad you're not taking your pills. I am tired of being lectured by him.

I guess my problem is I don't think the lithium is working for me and I don't think he's going to see it that way. I am also supposed to be taking risperidol and I don't like to take it. It makes me gain weight and I don't want to take it. I think if I talk to him he's just going to bug me about taking my current medicines and they weren't working well for me even when I was taking them faithfully. I am just really frustrated because I am starting to think there just aren't meds that really help.

I went years without taking medication and to be honest my moods are not in any better control now than they were when I wasn't taking meds, so I just am feeling like trying life without them again. Or option B, I may go look for a new doc. There just aren't many pyschiatrists around here and they take a while to get in to see.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
January 25th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry, the meds don't seem like they're helping. I'd look for a new Pdoc and change once you get in.

I was going to suggest an alarm on your phone but see you've already tried that. That is what works best with me. I live my life by alarms! Seriously have, 5 different ones for different things.

Have you tried pairing your meds with brushing your teeth before bed? Or having the pill box by where you eat breakfast? (If you're a breakfast eater?)

I won't take meds that make me gain weight, either. I view it as a valid complaint!
January 26th, 2014, 10:45 AM
HeavenlyJewel's Avatar Loving Wife and Mom
I say change doctors. If they are not willing to help then they don't really care. I have the same issue with taking my meds.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for making my siggy!

February 3rd, 2014, 05:59 AM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if it was my meds or whatever making me forget to take them but I had that problem too. Didn't matter if I had a set routine (bed + sleep = meds, dinner = meds, etc...) I would still forget. So hubby helped me remember but he didn't always remind me either
If your lithium isn't helping, I'd say it's probably one you can drop (just my 2 cents) but since your doc sounds like an @ss, I'd say try to find a new one who listens. I know, easier said than done...insurance issues, location, truly finding someone you can TRUST...I've been there as well.
Sorry I'm not much help.....Just trying to maybe throw some new ideas your way....

February 3rd, 2014, 10:42 AM
Have you tried a different type of doctor? I went to see a Naturopath and I'm working with him AND my doctor to find a good balance between meds and vitamins. In my experience, certain vitamins have been way more beneficial than the dozen meds I've been on over the years.

I'm also incredibly forgetful and have tried everything to remember to take them. That's what I'm struggling with right now, I'm not remembering often enough to get the benefits from them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search