A week since we lost the baby & Question

Forum: Mental Health

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2014, 03:18 AM
..Michelle..'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's been a week since we lost our baby when they found no heart beat at my 10week, 2 day ultrasound and my body/hormones HATE me!
I keep getting hot flashes, extreme panic episodes that last for hours and hours, calm down and then start back up again. I get nauseus and think I'm going to throw up and my arms, face and hands sometimes feel numb and I get scared I might faint or black out. I have that feeling of imminent death, extreme fight or flight, scary racing thoughts, I need to pace back & forth, I chain smoke, cry, and need all sharp objects REMOVED from around me. My depersonalization disorder is also acting up, so even if the panic is low I still get that feeling that nothing is real and it's all a dream
We really want to try to conceive again after my 2 cycle wait. My doc has me back on 10mg of Celexa once a day but it's not working (I know it can take time as I've only been on it for 4 days). I don't want to take my benzo's again (like my Ativan and that helped SO MUCH!!!) because they're basically category D drugs and so unsafe for pregnancy.
Can you ladies tell me what your doctors had you on whilst you were pregnant? My OB/GYN is kind of a jerk when it comes to meds but he says SSRI's are somewhat safe but Benzodiazapines are DEFINITELY OUT!
All I know is the Celexa isn't cutting it but I don't want to start on something I'll just have to quit in 2 months....I also can't keep living in fear and constantly having panic issues.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Edited to say that some non medication techniques work like redirection (Hubby and I played go fish for 3 hours last night and just talked while I was cycling thru panic attacks) and mediation but seriously there's only so much I can do before I feel like I'm just going to lose it and end up hospitalized again I also have med allergies, I'm allergic to Xanax, Depakote, and Klonopin, Welbutrin, and Prozac

Last edited by ..Michelle..; February 16th, 2014 at 03:23 AM.
February 24th, 2014, 12:26 PM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*hugs* I am sorry to hear about your loss.

I hate your having bad anxiety and stuff I can't imagine how tough that is on you.
I was on Zoloft my entire pregnancy I was on 50mg until my 2nd trimester and then went back up to 100mg. My little girl is almost 2 months old and perfectly healthy. I honestly would not have been able to made it through my pregnancy without my medication. Maybe you can talk with your Dr about Zoloft. I hope you find something that helps you!

March 4th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Hey there...I am so sorry for your loss...I can't imagine what you must be feeling.The problem with bipolar disorder is that we can't usually take anti-depressants as they can cause manic episodes. And of course a lot of anti-depressants are safer than the anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers. I took Ativan my entire pregnancy (docs agreed it was a tad bit safer than the xanax I normally take)....1mg up to twice a day for the first 4-5 months until I started acupuncture and was able to cut back to just a couple a week. I also took 15mg. of Abilify (was only on 5mg for the 1st trimester and 10mg for the 2nd and we finally upped it to 15 during the 3rd because I wasn't doing well) and my little man is doing great. The docs were more concerned with withdrawals after delivery with these medications more than they were concerned with birth defects. As far as coping with the crippling anxiety, depression, and mania, have you heard of DBT? It is a type of therapy that really works for me personally as long as I stick with it and remember to use it in the heat of the moment (that is where DH comes in handy because he will remind me to use my "skills") and I would be happy to share some of the skills that work for me or I can try to get you a link to a great website dedicated to it. If it fits into your budget, acupuncture did wonders for my mental health as well. Hang in there and remember that you will get through this...stay strong!
March 28th, 2014, 07:34 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I've only taken medication during one of my pregnancies and wouldn't do it again. I took Zyprexa and zoloft. I am sure my current doctor would not give me zoloft. He won't give me any antidepressants for the same reason hugskisses120 mentioned. They did help though. I wouldn't take zyprexa again though because it gave me really high blood sugars and I already have problems with gestational diabetes during pregnancy. I tried to tell my docs about it at the time but I don't think the info was out about it when I was pregnant. There was a lawsuit against zoloft and I wouldn't take it during pregnancy even though docs will tell you it's safe. My son was premature and had severed developmental delays, that may or may not have been due to the medications I was on. I think it's best to take as little meds as necessary during pregnancy, but you really have to look at the risks and benefits for you. Sometimes being stable is more important for baby and you just have to discuss this with your doc.

Have you ever taken buspar? I have taken it for anxiety and it helps. It's not as good as xanax or ativan but it may be enough to help you and it is a pregnancy category b drug so you probably could take it.

I've taken abilify before too and it did help me some but it gave me this awful side effect called akathisia. It was awful. It is this feeling like you can't sit still and have to move. I would have to get out of bed and walk around because I was so uncomfortable.
Patty JustMommies Administrator

#anxiety , #mental health , #panic , #pregnancy , #pregnancy #help

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search