Borderline personality disorder, what do you know about it?

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2014, 07:06 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
My daughter is having some mental health issues right now and from reading on the symptoms I think she may have borderline personality disorder. We have a family history of bipolar disorder, but I have not seen her have any symptoms of mania and really believe that what she is dealing with is a personality disorder.

What do you know about it? Anyone? What medications have been most helpful for you? And how treatable is this condition? Any info would be appreciated, especially if you have this diagnosis and have personal experience with it. Is this something that should be treatable with medication and counseling?

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 26th, 2014, 03:23 PM
elisheva's Avatar Member
i know that i have it, but im still learning to understand it. i feel the correct emotions at the right times, but i feel them at an extreme level. so a mood stabilizer was really helpful. however, i have been off of all my meds since Nov. 2013 since im trying to get pregnant. i have been doing great so far, but i owe that to my partner, who looks out for me and talks me through things. counseling and meds help some people, but not everyone.

1st failed adoption 5-8-2013
2nd failed adoption 10-10-2013

2 moms TTC #1 w/ donor sperm.
first insemination 2-19-2014
3-7-14 BFN & AF showed
insemination 3-21-14 & 3-23-14

March 28th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Thanks for your input. That's exactly what she has problems with. She overreacts to things and has extreme emotions. She doesn't have the mood swings like I do (mania or hypomania/depression) but she has problems regulating her moods. She is taking a mood stabilizer. She was on seroquel but they switched her to lithium and I'm happy about that because that is what I take so I think it will help her. I just don't think they have her dosage high enough yet to keep her stable. The problem with her is she tells everyone she is fine and her depression is a zero but she's not. It's hard to know how she is "really" feeling when she isn't honest with us and her pyschiciatrist.

March 28th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Well I went to see my psychiatrist today and he thinks my dd has bipolar disorder, which really makes sense because we have a strong family history of it. My grandmother (my dad's dad) had it and was on lithium for 30 years, my dad's sister commited suicide, two of my brothers have it, and I have it. The odds of one of my kids having bipolar disorder is just really strong. They have her on lithium anyway (I think her diagnosis is just mood disorder at this point) so I'm really hoping that it helps her. I think that they just need to get her dosage right.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search