Bipolar chics, what do you have more of hypo/mania or depression

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2014, 07:49 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
and which is harder for you to manage?

I have much more problems with mania and hypomania than I do depression. My manic/hypomanic episodes last much longer than my depression episodes. My depression usually only lasts 2 or 3 days but when it does it hits HARD. I find myself liking the mania because it feels good and haven't always managed it as well as I should. In the past, I've found myself wanting to stay up so I would feed my mania so that I stay manic longer and don't get depressed instead of trying to do things to stay calm. I am doing much better these days with managing both because I am on effective medications that really work as long as I don't miss any doses. I've downloaded an app to help me so I don't forget to take them and it's made a huge difference and I realize how much better I feel when I consistently take everything on time.

But in general my mania is much harder for me to manage and sometimes I will feel like I'm fine, feel great, but later have regrets or anxiety about how obnoxious I acted while in that state. I'm pretty obnoxious anyway. Most of my good friends are used to it and know how to take me. But, I talk a whole lot when I get like this and will overshare or give out relationship/sex advice etc when I should probably chill out and keep it to myself. But, I have been married 18 years so I think I know a thing or two about relationships. LOL

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
June 5th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Regular
Hi! I have not had a manic episode since I was a teenager (I'm 29 now) but I do tend to swing from severe depression to mixed episodes where I have symptoms of depression and mania. Even though neither one is healthy, I would much prefer mania as I felt completely on top of the world and like nothing could stop me when I was manic. Now I am just tired, depressed, feel hopeless, and cry all the time when I'm depressed.

I understand acting obnoxious when manic because when I am having a mixed episode I will talk to anyone and everyone about everything and later I realize maybe I opened my big mouth a little too much and feel embarrassed later.

How long ago were you diagnosed with Bipolar and is it 1 or 2 just out of curiosity? Do you have psychosis as well?
June 6th, 2014, 08:59 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I was diagnosed at 18 and I have bipolar 1. When I first was diagnosed things were pretty bad. Now I manage it alot better because I recognize my symptoms and get help before they get too out of control.

I also have alot of mixed episodes. Right now I'm in a mixed episode. I had been extremely depressed for over two weeks, which is not the norm for me. It was a very bad depression and I'm not completely out of it. Now I am in this mixed state and having alot of anxiety as well. This is probably my least favorite mood to be in. I would prefer to be manic without the mix.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search