How do your loved ones and family members cope with your depression?

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
With me .... I for the most part get left alone to deal with mine ... go to my doctors, take my meds, rest etc.

BUT there are times my family drives me honestly insane by stifling me with the "are you okays", peeking at me, calling me on the cell to find out where I am.

I know they mean well but it skyrockets my anxiety and I go honestly ballistic.

I can't do many family things anymore with anyone else other than my own kids and I think my parents have a hard time adjusting to that ... they cope but its not easy for the whole family not to be together for birthdays etc ............. the noise just gets to me and triggers me off and I have to retreat to a bedroom which is pretty embarrassing if I'm visiting and not at my own home and can go to my own bed ... so I just avoid leaving the house altogether for things like that.

I hate when my mom 'out of the blue' decides to cross-examine me on my medication which is strictly controlled by not only my psychiatrist and GP but also my pharmacist (who releases only a 2-week supply at a time for me) for my own safety.

The kids oddly enough help me the MOST ... they're the most understanding and they would actually help keep the adults away when they see me getting triggered ............... I know its hard on the kids and its amazing to have seen them take on these roles of taking care of me when I'm down.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
February 10th, 2007, 02:46 PM
*Firefly*'s Avatar Girlfriend and Blogger
Mine mostly jsut tell me what to do and not do - DRIVES ME MAD! "Oh dont do that oh you shoudldo this go here see this person" and i'm always just liek BACK OFF ALREADY - i don't think they get that I will do all these things in my own time.
But Iíll be born without a mask
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 10th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Mine mostly jsut tell me what to do and not do - DRIVES ME MAD! "Oh dont do that oh you shoudldo this go here see this person" and i'm always just liek BACK OFF ALREADY - i don't think they get that I will do all these things in my own time.[/b]
it used to be like that until I took my own parents to see my psychiatrist and she told them what drives me insane LOL

I also came on the computer and did some searches about bipolar disorder and printed it for them ... so now they have their own copies of information on the illness .... since then I've gotten more space.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
February 11th, 2007, 02:07 AM
My mum has hadcounsellor training she is so aware of mental health issues I think shes just trying to "fix things" of course there are things beyond her control that she cannot fix and she dpesn't like that
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 11th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Quote:
My mum has hadcounsellor training she is so aware of mental health issues I think shes just trying to "fix things" of course there are things beyond her control that she cannot fix and she dpesn't like that[/b]
typical mom behaviour ... my mom is like that so that's why I lock myself in my room

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
February 11th, 2007, 09:03 AM
It was nice for her this week when I was ill because she felt needed again (although she hated seeing me ill) it was something she could fix...

I don't have a lock on my door and i'm not allowed one either
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

February 11th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
none of my family actually acknowledges my anxiety or depression. They expect me to just "stop it" when its convenient for them. Its really tough.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 2/1/15!

February 11th, 2007, 03:54 PM
sounds like they dont know much about the disorder .... try and educate them on it if you can

only today my dad drove me mad trying to be overly playful and I retreated to my bedroom away from everyone

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
February 12th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Navymommy would you mind if I used your "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end its about learning to dance in the rain" siggy/blinkie? I love it
~ Babel, Mumford & Sons

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search