Bi-Polar disorder and TTC

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I'd rather be in Forks
Hi guys...finally worked up the nerve to stick my head in here.

I'm bi-polar, and we're TTC. It's a nerve-wracking game, wondering if the baby will have BPD too, although in my case, it's not too likely. I was diagnosed w/ Adult Onset BPD about 4 years ago. Since it was adult onset, it's less likely to be passed on to a child.

My doc and I both felt like being off all meds was the best plan for me whilst TTC, cause I was on quite a few.

I've just stopped taking Wellbutrin XL, Klonopin, Ambien, Seroquel, and Lithium.

Doing okay for now, but terrified of what it will be like in a few more months w/out my meds.

Just wondered if anyone else had been thru this, and if you might be willing to offer a shoulder for a newbie.

July 27th, 2005, 06:02 PM
nmyddseyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to nmyddseyes Send a message via MSN to nmyddseyes Send a message via Yahoo to nmyddseyes
I just wanted to welcome you here and you having Bi-polar is not something you should be ashamed of-it happens. I don't have bi-polar but I do have mood swings and clincally depressed. I just recently was put on meds to control "Panic attacks". I was not on a lot of meds at the time my baby was concieved but once I knew about my unplanned pregnancy, my doctor told me the first 4 weeks of the fetus was the most important time of the pregnacy and since I was 6+ she told me my baby was already exposed to the meds and not to quit them nor change them because once the fetus is use something it is not good to try to change it-She said it can make things worse medically/mentally for my baby so I continued with my meds as directed-baby now 3yrs old is fine.

I agree having no meds in the system is great but please if you end up PG and get into your "moods" go ask the Dr. to ween you back on slowly again because if you are mentally stable that itself can be dangerous for you and your unborn child!

Another piece of advice if you are TTCing-start taking folic acid as well, reducies health risks and problems to the baby.

HTHS
-Dori
July 27th, 2005, 06:29 PM
I'd rather be in Forks
Thank you Us2!

I'm not ashamed of being bi-polar, I'm afraid of what people will think when they find out I'm TTC!

I've been taking Pre-natals and folic acid...I figure this poor kids got a big enough lottery to win without me playing with its physical health on top of mental!

I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but I've gone thru fairly intense CBT to help with that, and so it's pretty much under control. But boy can I relate to your panic attacks!

Thank you so much for answering me. And please don't let any of the movies on the Lifetime Movie Channel influence your opinion of me! The ones about bi-polar women scare me, and I'm bi-polar!

July 27th, 2005, 06:50 PM
nmyddseyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to nmyddseyes Send a message via MSN to nmyddseyes Send a message via Yahoo to nmyddseyes
LOL oh hun I would not compare you to a Lifetime show nor be scared as I have been friends and was a roommate to two bi-polars (separate times) so I know the disorder varies in everyone. Plus I am a Social Worker (or at least by degree LOL). NP and GL to your TTCing!

-Dori
July 28th, 2005, 07:17 AM
ericalaurel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ericalaurel
I just want to let you know that I have suffered with clinical depression since my late teens, and yet I am pregnant now. Like you I was worried about the effect of the meds on my baby-yet I've been told that Wellbutrin is one of the safest medications (anti-depressant wise) one can take while pregnant.

Unfortunately, like you, I went off my meds because I wanted to be careful for the baby. That, and insurance issues. It spun me into a HORRIBLE depressive state for weeks (probably primarily because of the pregnancy hormones).

I think it's great that you are TTC-just because we suffer from mental health issues doesn't mean we can't be GREAT mommies! But I would seriously warn against going off all meds completely. I have decided to go back on them now, and stay on them after the baby is born because I know I am at high risk for PPD (of course this may mean I can't breastfeed, I'm not sure yet). I think it is safer (and in fact better) that a woman be well enough to take care of her baby than be unable to function and the baby have no exposure to the meds. Of course, this is my own opinion.

Hang in there-please PM me if you want to chat!

Good luck with the TTC too...

Best wishes and ,
Erica

July 31st, 2005, 07:47 PM
Veteran
I know someone who has Bipolar and has two teenage children. I'm not quite sure when she was diagnosed with it as she is in her late 40's. She was on drugs for atleast 15 years and in the past two years started a new vitamin supplement called "Reliv" and has totally stopped taking any meds for Bipolar or other things that had been bothering her for years. You could look in to something like that or some herbs you could take during this time to help you while off the meds.

Happily married mom with a 10 yr old and 4 yr old kidlets
September 30th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Boy this is a tough one for me. I do honestly wish you all the best.

My Ex is BiPolar. He spiraled very bad this past year & it was awful for him as well as me & my daughter. My daughter is 3 & I pray every day that she hasn't inherited the disease. My Ex was diagnose right after my daughter was born. I have seen what my Ex has gone through & pray my daughter never has to experience it. So far she isn't exhibiting any of the symptoms.

BiPolar is different for everyone. And from the involvement I've had with bipolar support groups it seems that women deal with it better than men. Also, if there is only 1 bipolar parent the risk is only 30%. As an accountant, I'm thinking that is pretty good odds.

The good thing is that you are aware of your illness & the symptoms. If your child does have Bipolar, you know what to look for. Early detection is the key to treatment & leading a fairly normal life. I watch my daughter like a hawk. If she exhibites any symptoms, she will be at a Pdoc in a heartbeat.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
October 5th, 2005, 09:32 AM
ReedsMama06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ReedsMama06 Send a message via Yahoo to ReedsMama06
Well, I am 19, ttc#1 and have childhood onset bipolar disorder. I do not want to risk my marriage going in the direction it was going without meds.. we were close to divorce. My medication is a class c which means that they do not know what it will do, really. All the clinicals were pretty much based on women with seizures and very high doses of my med. Women with seizures have high risk pregnancies anyway, so I have decided to stay on my low dose 25mg while pregnant. We will see what happens. Bipolar is so challenging... It is tough to admit to yourself that you need the meds. I have tried to go without and it just does not work for me. But everyone is different. I can only hope that everything still goes well and we end up with a healthy baby.
November 27th, 2005, 03:50 PM
delaney725's Avatar Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Deb@Jul 27 2005, 05:01 PM
Hi guys...finally worked up the nerve to stick my head in here.

I'm bi-polar, and we're TTC. It's a nerve-wracking game, wondering if the baby will have BPD too, although in my case, it's not too likely. I was diagnosed w/ Adult Onset BPD about 4 years ago. Since it was adult onset, it's less likely to be passed on to a child.

My doc and I both felt like being off all meds was the best plan for me whilst TTC, cause I was on quite a few.

I've just stopped taking Wellbutrin XL, Klonopin, Ambien, Seroquel, and Lithium.

Doing okay for now, but terrified of what it will be like in a few more months w/out my meds.

Just wondered if anyone else had been thru this, and if you might be willing to offer a shoulder for a newbie.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Deb-

I've been struggling with bipolar disease since..well probably most of my life, but it was formally diagnosed when I was 22. Since then I have have been medicated every day, and that includes through my first pregnancy and breastfeeding. My swings get so severe that the doctors were afraid that I would hurt myself or the baby off the meds, so we "took the risk." Granted, Prozac is just about the most studied antidepressant out there, and that's what I was on, so we felt okay. But me off meds would have been bad for the baby and my marriage...and bad is the understatement of the year.

If you feel that you are strong enough to be off meds, then more power to you. But remember that there are a bunch of much safer meds out there. Talk to your doctor about switching you to some of those. When the pregnancy hormones combine with untreteated bipolar, it could be pretty scary.

I'd be happy to talk to you privately about this if you would like.

Jodi

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search