Bipolar Question

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2005, 09:00 PM
lilmomma601's Avatar Regular
Send a message via AIM to lilmomma601 Send a message via MSN to lilmomma601 Send a message via Yahoo to lilmomma601
I am bipolar and was diagnosed when I was in my early teens.....I am pregnant now and off all meds, and I think I am doing really really well. I was just wondering since I am bipolar what are the risk of my child having it??? Me and his father also have ADHD....will he have that too.

Basically here is the mental health run down:

Me => bipolar (hospitalized twice 4 it) & ADHD
Mitch => severe depression, & adhd

basically is my kid gonna end up $&%* up b/c of us.....i am so scared for my baby.

September 5th, 2005, 10:26 AM
nmyddseyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to nmyddseyes Send a message via MSN to nmyddseyes Send a message via Yahoo to nmyddseyes
Quote:
Originally posted by lilmomma601@Sep 5 2005, 12:00 AM
I am bipolar and was diagnosed when I was in my early teens.....I am pregnant now and off all meds, and I think I am doing really really well. I was just wondering since I am bipolar what are the risk of my child having it???* Me and his father also have ADHD....will he have that too.

Basically here is the mental health run down:

Me => bipolar (hospitalized twice 4 it) & ADHD
Mitch => severe depression, & adhd

basically is my kid gonna end up $&%* up b/c of us.....i am so scared for my baby.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Well, hun I am going you tell you the truth-your child has a chance of getting ADHD & having or being Bipolar yes. Just because of both parents having the disorders and Bipolar is genetic. However, I do not know nor anyone will know the severity it will take on your child or if s/he will need medication for it. I know of bipolars who been without meds all their lives and/or was able to get off their neds like yourself, so hun I would not worry yourself what your child would end up being-just look forward having the Blessing as I have a 3 yr old now who "I" believe is "normal". Her father in MY opinion has bipolar (not diagnosed) and/or has ADD and was diagnosed clincally depressed (as well as myself). And she is doing well. Just acting like a typical 3 year old! I wish you the best! I hope to see you again on this board as we got great people here. (((((HUGS)))).

-Dori
October 4th, 2005, 11:23 PM
littlemittens's Avatar Regular
Send a message via MSN to littlemittens
Yes I have extream bi-polar and others....and my doctor said most likly your child will have it too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Peace & Love Stacey And Baby Christopher~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
October 10th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My ex who is the father of my child was diagnosed bipolar when she was born.

I can't remember which website I read it on but I do remember the statistic is 30% with 1 parent & goes up with 2. Boys for some reason are at a higher risk.

My suggestion is to educate yourself as much as you can about childhood bipolar. If you were diagnosed in your early teens it is highly likely that you've had it your entire life. Often bipolar children are misdiagnosed as ADHD - some of the symptoms are similar.

Here's a good website I found bpkids.org

I wish you all the best.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search