for those who have been diagnosed with depression

Forum: Mental Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mental Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2005, 04:37 PM
groovie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What kind of doctor did you go to get diagnosed?
How long did it take to get diagnosed?
And how did you even bring it up to the Dr that you may suffer from depression?

September 25th, 2005, 08:07 AM
ericalaurel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ericalaurel
Hi hon,

Well, I have suffered from depression since I was in high school. Of course, back then, there was still a severe stigma attached to the disease. It was not until after my grandfather died (I was almost a senior in college by this time) and I was still severely grieving (a year later) that I went to my general practice doctor and told him how I'd been feeling. I had been to many counselors, but they of course could not give perscriptions and thought all I needed was to talk through my problems. Well, that did help, but this was also very much a physical issue that would only resolve itself with medication. So, my doctor started me on Celexa, I believe. I had to go through a few kinds before I found something that worked for me.

The BAD thing that I did was get off the meds, which made the depression much, much worse. Then I saw a psychiatrist and am on the medicine which I am currently taking. I have since stopped seeing this particular doctor (because he insisted that I could never have children because of this disease...WTH??) and now my midwife is helping me with perscriptions, etc.

So, the point of my very, very long story is that any doctor or midwife can help you out, and they can pretty much diagnose you immediately, I guess. No one ever officially said to me, "you have clinical depression", but I know I do, and I get the help that I need, so I'm good with it all. You just have to be open with them and tell them how you've been feeling for awhile.

I highly reccomend counseling in addition to the meds though...it was so very helpful for me-it's always good to vent to someone who doesn't really know you and can be objective!

Take care, and PM me if you need any more info...

Erica

September 26th, 2005, 09:45 PM
nmyddseyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to nmyddseyes Send a message via MSN to nmyddseyes Send a message via Yahoo to nmyddseyes
Well in my case I already had two doctors, my Primary Doctor and my Neurologist (because I get seizures). So when I got medication for my seizures-my Neurologist recommended Zoloft because the meds I have to take for my seizures can cause mood swings....well I got married and had a kid LOL=my Primary doctor with my request increased my dose but then when I went back to see my neurologist I explained I felt more "depressed" than usual and well she knew I was having martial issues as well so she increased my Zolft even more! Then just recently I have noticed I bee getting these "panic attacks" and ask my Neuro about a med that could help that so she prescribed me yet another drug Kloripin sp? (like a valium) So there you got it- a neurologist is the best to go as they can test your brain better-test for chemical imbalance but your Primary Doctor should be able direct you the right way as well.

-Dori

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search