do you have (rant)

Forum: Student Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Student Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2011, 12:19 AM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
those classes, or even moments in life for that matter, where you look at classmates or people and wonder where in the h.e.l.l. common sense has went?

In my Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) course, which they tend to focus on long term care centers like nursing homes, assisted living ect. but is required to have that license for the RN program at my college. It teaches basic nursing skills like helping feed patients who are disabled, changing and making beds properly for a hospital/nursing home setting, helping with daily life skills like eating, using the bathroom, getting dressed and bathed, and care for some medical conditions. You get the idea. We are 1 week into the 4 week night course. All of the book materials are written in our case, by the state of Nebraska, that is what the teachers have to teach even if the order seems awkward because the way it is taught is the way facilities will be tested when the State comes in to do quality checks, that kind of thing. The last chapter we got covered Thursday night was a chapter on Resident's (read: patient) room. and focused on things like respecting their privacy and belongings, proper way to treat their belongings, how to help them feel comfortable and safe,ect.
The 1st day of class on monday the instructors said there are 10 steps that you must always remember to do, 5 upon entering the residents room and 5 when leaving as follows, they call them the beginning 5 and the ending 5. The Beginning 5 are: 1) knock, announce yourself and explain why you're there (pretty standard, right?), 2) identify the patient, 3) provide privacy (close door/privacy screen or draw curtains or both), 4) wash hands, 5) Maintain Safety and Standards (ie don't leave patient alone if prone to falls, make sure no obsticles are in the walkways in the room (again, common sense). The Ending 5 are similar: 1) Position the patient (sit them up if they prefer than a prone position, help them from the bed to a chair or vice versa, in general just make sure they are comfortable as possible for the time being) 2) open the room (draw back privacy screen, open curtains, prop door open), 3) wash hands, 4) report and record (fill out resident log book- gave bath, collected urine sample, etc), 5) maintain safety and standards (same as in the first, make sure bed wheels are locked, pathways are clear, call light is near resident, and so forth) and upon being a requirment to do each time you enter or leave a patients room, fall into general respect for the patient and their environment/home which was the focus of this chapter. Now these are posted on the big yellow tablet sheets to the side of the dry erase board. Our quiz we took today (friday) over chapter 5 had questions on it "when answering a call light what should you do first when you reach the residents room? a. turn call light on, b. knock, c. identify patient, d. notify head nurse. So out of those answers the correct one would be B, knock, as it is the first step on the beginning 5, the call light would already be on from the patient having hit the button, you wouldn't identify the patient because 1 they called you, you didn't call them, and 2, the call light already indicates which patient it is as there are separate call buttons for each bed in the room. so even if you weren't sure between knock and identify, your beginning 5 has the answer (which was posted RIGHT.IN.FRONT.OF.THEIR.EYES.) knock is higher on the list, it takes priority. Now obviously if the patient is screaming help or a Code has already been called out your not going to knock and try to get an unresponsive patient to give you permission to enter "hello? Mr Jones, can i come in to save your life?" again, common sense. Also in chapter 5 (again, focusing on long term care facilities) the book explains that their room is now their home in most cases. that is their house. you knock on someones door before going into their home in pretty much all cases. you hardly ever barge into someone's home in real life. That was my "explain it in laymen's terms" to people who were confused and pissed they missed the question because it was misleading. another girl even tried explaining 911 even knocks on your door before entering, they always knock and announce "sheriff/Mainstreet Police Dept/ Fire & Rescue" unless someone is outside waving them in. Another question that was on there what is one of the last things you would do after assisting a resident? a. position resident, b. report and record, c. wash hands, d. provide privacy. Again, according to your Ending 5 this time, since "maintain safety" wasn't in the answers, the next to last step is "report and record" so that would be your answer. a bunch complained that that was incorrect, you'd wash your hands. Um, no, not according to your 5 ending rules and common sense. say you went in the room to change their soiled adult brief or clothing. You would wash your hands before leaving their room and picking up the log book to right down that you changed soiled clothes, etc. you don't want to carry any germs from that room to the next. And the maintain safety wasn't part of the answers but you would be doing that automatically whether you were in the patient's room or in the hallway where a garbage can is tipped over. common sense. I don't get it.

sorry for my long rant. i'm just irritated at this point that i still have 3 weeks of listening to this when it shouldn't be that hard in the first place. Because of all of the arguing over the "correct" answers and why the "wrong" answers were right we putzed around and are now a good chapter and a half along, well the class is, i got tired of the bickering and read the next chapter ahead and did the worksheets already. I'm soo wishing this was a self-paced with scheduled lab times to do the skills that they will be testing us over later.

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012

Last edited by artisticmind; May 7th, 2011 at 12:28 AM.
May 7th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Fist Pumping Champ
I think that all the time in a LOT of my classes but I thought it was just because I'm older than most of the students in my class. A lot of them are straight out of high school and I'm turning 27.

Note: I'm not trying to say that people straight out of high school lack common sense but it's just the maturity level of a lot of them (boys especially) that just grate on my nerves. Like grow up and smarten up already..

May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy
July 2014 - Miscarriage

May 7th, 2011, 03:04 PM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
no i totally think it is a think of newer geneartions though. I'm 27 as well and 2 years ago my then 15 yr old neice while on a road trip from NE to AZ asked "where is Iowa from NE?" we looked at her like "Seriously?!" the girl has no common sense, at least in NE it's common knowledge that IA is east of us (more like northeast, but still mainly east), kansas south, colorado west, south dakota north, that kind of thing. There are many other things that she has done that are like "where is your brain?" I know teachers are way too overloaded as of now but seriously there needs to be some workshops worked into the school year on using common sense. I remember getting told plenty of times "Use your head" and i don't think hardly any kids are told that anymore or not told it enough! LOL

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search