June 2012 Chat

Forum: Student Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Student Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2012, 06:06 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
How is everyone doing? It's been kind of quiet in here for a while. lol

We ended up downloading a new game on the xbox for my kids last week and the stupid thing sucked me in too! I go to work in the mornings, spend all day working or doing homework, then in the evening we start playing that game and end up playing all night! Last night we played until almost 1 am! I keep forgetting that I've got to fit sleep in there somewhere! lol

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
June 14th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we just got home from hospital yesterday-tonight I spent getting caught up with my students, and now gotta start working on my own school stuff
June 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM
TTC #1
Today is my last day of class! I have a paper due tomorrow (7-10 pages), but it should only take about 2 hours since I picked a topic that I have worked with before and can recycle some pieces of old assignments.

I spoke with my admissions counselor for the MS/PhD that I would like to pursue - just waiting on two of my recommendations! I am pretty sure that I will get in, but will probably wait until spring to start so that I can work on finding some additional funding sources (and maybe get another raise at work). Hopefully by that time the husband will be back at work as well.
June 16th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I got my grant! WOOT! I am so excited. I meet with the lady one more time next week to finalize the last of the paperwork and sign up for the other summer class I want to take (She will pay the tuition that day!). I'll get $2,000 per semester for tuition and and $1,000 per year for books!

DH has applied for the same grant (it's a first come, first serve basis) so hopefully he gets it too!

June 17th, 2012, 11:05 AM
TTC #1
Yay Stephanie! That is awesome. How did you find out about the grant, if you don't mind my asking? Have you found any other grants/scholarships? I'm starting to took for things like this, but since I'm doing a second Master's the federal aid is limited.
June 18th, 2012, 06:58 AM
This one was offered through workforce development. I am participating in the Promise Jobs program, which pays mileage to help with the cost of gas to get me back and forth to school. (I drive 70 to 130 miles a day depending on which campus my classes are on.) When I went in for my last appointment for that, there was a sign on the wall about it. I don't know what your financial situation was, but this one is an income based grant, and you have to have pretty low income levels to qualify for it. For once, being completely broke worked out to my benefit! lol

I haven't really found much else, but I haven't been looking to hard at this point either, because I still have the pell grant.

June 19th, 2012, 04:45 PM
TTC #1
For graduate programs, the government just has the Stafford loans. I am eligible for aome tuition reimbursement through work, but the less I have to pay the better!
June 19th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Stephanie that's awesome!!!
June 20th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaleigh View Post
For graduate programs, the government just has the Stafford loans. I am eligible for aome tuition reimbursement through work, but the less I have to pay the better!
Absolutely! That's the way I feel too! Especially because there are two of us in school. And two more coming right behind us!

We both have pretty big goals, and the kids haven't decided for sure, but they both seem to have some pretty big goals as well, which means I'll be paying off student loans until I die at this point!

June 21st, 2012, 11:28 PM
we're both really lucky we have no student loans
June 22nd, 2012, 10:56 PM
I just bought 20 spruce trees I've got to plant in the yard this week, and I have two full days of Quantitative stats this weekend-bleh
June 23rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
TTC #1
This is the first weekend in two years that is completely free from school work. I plan on relaxing on my balcony and reading.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search