June 2012 Chat

Forum: Student Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Student Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2012, 09:11 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Can you believe it's already June?!? Craziness! Time for a challenge. Let's try to double the number of posts in our chat thread this month. May ended with 24 posts in it (it also didn't get started until a week into the month), but I know we can do better than that. Get talking ladies! lol

What's going on this weekend? Any plans? What classes are you taking this summer and when do/did they start?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
June 1st, 2012, 06:41 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am currently doing a leadership for change course, then July is qualitative research-yuck
June 1st, 2012, 09:09 PM
My accounting class is turning into more of a nightmare than I expected, but only because we get absolutely ZERO feedback from the instructors. We have to test over material before we ever know if we are doing it right or not. The "lectures" are quite literally just the section headings from the chapter with one or two bullet points under them (word for word from the textbook), so no help there either. At least for the last class we had an online program that allowed us to try the problems and get immediate feedback. If I had taken this class face to face, we would be using that system again. I even had to buy a year of the program in the beginning, so now I have a full semester of the program paid for, non-transferable and just going to waste. -sigh- I'm getting through it.... it's just much more time consuming than I expected it to be.

Oh, and I heard from the people about the grant I am trying to get. I have an appointment with them on Thursday. They are coming to me for the appointment and it sounds very promising for Fall classes (and every semester until I receive my B.S.) but I'm not sure that I will get anything for summer. Drat! That is what I REALLY need the stupid thing with it. Without that, I won't get to pick up that second class this summer. Double drat!

Marie, qualitative research? That doesn't sound like much fun at all.

Last edited by MountainMomma; June 1st, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
June 2nd, 2012, 07:46 AM
oh I hope that grant works out!

I did one research and one stats course for my bacc degree, and now I have to do two research courses-I am not a research/stats type of brain at all
June 2nd, 2012, 02:01 PM
TTC #1
I have always loved research and statistics. I actually volunteered for some statistical analysis at work just for the fun of it!
June 2nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
I supposed it would depend on the type of research for me. In high school, I wanted to study marine biology specifically so I could do research on sharks. They fascinate me and I would love to live on a boat in the middle of the ocean for weeks or months at a time. I wasn't really interested in researching anything other than sharks though, and even more specifically, I just wanted to research Great Whites.

June 2nd, 2012, 10:11 PM
I don't have a brain that likes numbers, never have-I'm very hands on, not abstract thinking at all
June 3rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
I didn't use to like numbers. I'm getting much more comfortable with them now though. (good thing for someone studying to be an accountant! lol)

June 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
TTC #1
I have a test to take tonight - I know that it will be pretty easy, but I just can't get motivated to start.
June 3rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
I'm supposed to be writing an essay due on the weekend
June 3rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Judging from my facebook feed, I think the whole world is lacking motivation tonight! lol I know I certainly am. I really need to finish up my assignments for the week and get a head start on the reading for next week, but again.... the motivation issue!

June 3rd, 2012, 08:03 PM
I'm not huge on readings, I usually read through things as I look for references
June 4th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I just heard from the lady about the grant again! She was letting me know what to bring to the appointment. She said as long as I can get all the paperwork completed and turned in (WHAT?? More paperwork?? Seriously, I think I already gave away my firstborn for this thing!) before Summer 2 starts (July 2), funding for summer is very likely. WOOT! This REALLY is exciting!

I found out about a job near the main campus that I am considering applying for. It's a court clerk position. The pay is decent. Nothing AMAZING, but it's a heck of a lot more than my odd jobs are paying. The downside.... it's 30 hours a week, and I would have to switch my schedule to all online classes. The upside.... its an extra $1200 or so a month coming in that we don't have, and being a court clerk would probably look pretty awesome on my application for law school.

I just don't know if I can handle a 30 hour a week job AND the 18 hour course load I am signed up for. -sigh- Decisions, decisions.

June 7th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I meet with the lady about getting a grant for summer in just over an hour! Wish me luck! I really need this!

June 7th, 2012, 08:38 PM
great luck!! how did it go?
June 8th, 2012, 05:06 AM
It went amazingly! After meeting with me she still has to take my case before the board for final approval, but she said they have never said no to anyone (as long as funds were available). She knows they have the funds, and so I should be receiving $6000 each year (2,000 per semester) for tuition, $1000 each year for books (I will likely use all that in the first semester ) and then they have a program to help with mileage if you live more than 15 miles from school. I drive 35 miles one way, so I'll get $0.20 per mile for up to a total of $65 a week to help with gas.

They also want DH to apply since he is also a student. (We assumed that it was a one per family type deal) so he is starting his paperwork now too! This will help out immensely! A big bunch of stress was just relieved!

How is Nolan doing? I've been trying to keep track on FB, but it's been screwy for a while now.

June 8th, 2012, 05:52 AM
TTC #1
That is great news about the grant, especially if your husband can also get one!
June 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I really hope he can get his paperwork in quickly enough to get one. Living from semester to semester on student loans and grants SUCKS! Getting these grants means one (or two) less loans we will have to take. That is ALWAYS a good thing!

June 8th, 2012, 05:44 PM
TTC #1
I have a paper due Sunday night. It needs to be submitted as a pdf - I have never done that before...I hope it doesn't screw me up!
June 9th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I've never had to do that either! I hope you can figure it out easily. Good luck!

I probably won't be around much this weekend. Tomorrow is my son's birthday, but we have a very busy day preparing for VBS that starts Monday, so we are celebrating today. We'll have cake and a special birthday meal. He wanted homemade bread and home butter along with steak, corn on the cob and broccoli and cheese sauce. Yummy meal, but it means me spending most of the day in the kitchen! lol When I am not cooking or baking, I'll be working on homework.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search