What are you going to school for

Forum: Student Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Student Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2012, 02:04 PM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
I am sure this has been asked before, but I am curious what is everyone going to school for? And where are you at in your education?

~> I am planning on a career in Occupational Therapy. I am in the process of getting my general education classes completed and in May of 2013 I plan to start an Occupational Therapy Assistant program.
One day I hope to complete the bridge program from OTA to OT , but for now, these are my plans

~> I have been in school since August of 2011
Nievierra likes this.
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri
July 13th, 2012, 08:40 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
I think I'm going for Computer Science w/ Information Technology Emph.
Right now I'm working on my General stuff till I can talk to an Advisor once the fall semester starts. To get any job in the IT field I'm going to have to have a BS in Computer Science w/ IT and my school is only a Junior College and only offers an AS in Computer science which is different then the CS w/ IT emph so I need to see what I have to do. They do offer a IT course but its just an AAS so I'm not sure if thats a transfer program like the other one is.

I'm just finishing up my first semester (on the 27th). I should graduate with either the AS (would be general if the AAS doesnt' xfer) or AAS in May 2014 or December 2014. I'm behind 2 Math classes (I have to take 025, then 108 in order to take the Math 123 needed for my degree)

July 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
I am not sure what those Math's are, but I also was behind in my Math as well. It had been soooooo long since I was in school and Math is not my best subject. I have had to take Math 0018 which is pre- Algebra then I had I took Math 0028 which is Elem. Algebra And now I am finishing Math 1033 which is Inter. Algebra. My program doesn't require College Algebra Thankfully, but when I do decide to take the Bridge program I will need to take college algebra. Debating on whether to go ahead and take it now and get it over with or ????? I just do not like math lol
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri
July 14th, 2012, 11:10 AM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
I wasn't sure if classes #'s were the same at other schools lol
Math 025 is Elementary Algebra
Math 108 is Intermediate Algebra
And Math 123 is Contemporary Mathematics

I'll end up having to take Calc (which means 2 more Math Classes) to get my BS degree but for now I don't have to worry about them lol.

I was in Pre-Calc my Jr. year of High School but that was in 2003 so I dont remember any of it and did badly on my entrence exam to place into classes. I figured taking the lower level class, even if I'm behind, is better to refresh and get an A in then trying to take the harder class and struggling.

July 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I'm currently going for Business Administration and Accounting. I'm strongly considering law school in a few years. We'll see where I am at when I finish up with my bachelors.

I started out behind in Math too. I've taken Elementary and Intermediate Algebra and Statistics. I'll finish up with College Algebra in the fall.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
July 14th, 2012, 02:19 PM
TTC #1
I have a BS in Psychology and Sociology and just completed a MS in Marketing. In August, I am starting a certified dietary manager program (a CDM certification is required if I want to advance at my current job). I also applied for a PhD program in Food Studies which I would likely start next spring or summer. I want the PhD just because the coursework interests me. I'm not sure if I would use such an advanced degree at my current company, but enjoy the possibility of teaching at the college level in the future, especially if my arthritis worsens.
mommy2aidenjames likes this.
July 17th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I'm going for, almost done with pre requistits, Surgical Tech
August 13th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Nievierra's Avatar MommyOfAnEarlyAngel
I'm about to begin my sophomore year as a Rehabilitation Psychology major. I want to get my master's in occupational therapy one day as well
August 14th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I'm about to start my first year of college in the fall and I have no idea what I want to do. Maybe something with art but the pay isn't great.
August 27th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Fist Pumping Champ
I changed my major over the summer from Accounting to Marketing and Advertising Communications. It was too boring, too stuffy. Not that this is much more exciting but some of my creative juices are flowing.

Justine, if you plan on transferring to a 4-yr college after you complete your AS pay close attention to how they transfer the credits between schools. I went to a 2-yr, completed my AS and all of my credits transferred. Many students who completed an AAS, not all of their credits transferred. An advisor once told me that an AAS degree is for people who want to get some sort of degree but don't plan on going ahead with a Bachelor's. Just something to keep in mind. I don't know how it works at your school but that's what a lot of students went through here. They had to repeat a lot of courses since their grades didn't count.

May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy
July 2014 - Miscarriage

September 12th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Happy Mommy
I'm going for a career change, and am going for my RN. working on the pre-reqs and non-nursing courses.
September 19th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a nursing degree but I am currently doing a Masters in Education
w292737 likes this.
September 22nd, 2012, 06:01 AM
Cheshire's Avatar Mommy to three beauties!
I just started and I am going for special education.

September 22nd, 2012, 07:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Master of Science Education. I'm three weeks into my first class. I have 9-10 classes to take and I'll take one each semester.

I'm working full time with a three year old who doesn'tgo to sleep until 9:30, a six month old who still gets up two times overnight, and a husband who works til 7 or later every night and at least one half day each weekend. So far it hasn't been so hard because all I've had are readings so I can keep up with an hour or so here and there. But the three papers will be tough to get done, and don't even ask me how I'm going to find time for the group projects.

This is the time to do it, though, before the kids get busy with activities. At least I don't have any of those commitments.
October 17th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Veteran
Well mine is a long convoluted story...

I have a degree in B.A. in Criminal Justice and B.S. Forensic Science (earned concurrently)... working on 2nd degree in Anthropology ... have a minor in Psychology (one class shy of a major).

PS: Yes they all go hand in hand and will all be used together

Last edited by 8forus; October 27th, 2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: to add the p.s.
October 19th, 2012, 01:09 AM
mommy2aidenjames's Avatar Veteran
Working on my Associates in Social Work right now, but plan on transferring to Arizona State in the fall of 2014 to complete my bachelors. I plan on getting a Masters either through ASU or a school in Alabama if we decide to move back. This is my second semester, so still a freshman

January 6th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Hi All,

Happy New Year!! I just completed my science pre-reqs in December and will be starting graduate school for my MS in Occupational Therapy this summer. I'm so excited but nervous about juggling full-time school, part time work and a family (I have a 3 year old). Good luck to everyone!!
January 6th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Ltem45
I am working on my masters in org leadership with a specialization in hr.
January 15th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Veteran
LPN to RN. Less than 4 months to go!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search