Why did you decide to go back to school?

Forum: Student Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Student Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Trouble'76's Avatar Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to Trouble'76
I have my Associates degree in Fine Arts and it didn't get me anywhere. So I've been looking at going back to school, to either get my BS or maybe another Associates in something else. My problem is, I get bored easily, so I need to find something that will challenge me. I was considering nursing, since the growth rate for the job is great and it guaruntees a job for the rest of my life, and it will provide a good income for my future family.

So, what made you decide to go back to school? Or to go to college for the first time, as a mom? How difficult has it been? What are you studying? What ups and downs are you encountering?

Victoria
September 8th, 2004, 12:04 PM
zonapellucida
I decided when preggo wiht no. 2 because I couldnot see myslef staying at home all day long with two small children. This was in 1990. Now I still have the bug and take classes whenever I can to add to my education. There is just so much to know!!!!! I am a SAHM but always a student--be it learning from my children or a text book.
September 8th, 2004, 06:22 PM
YankeeMom
my brain was rotting into mush.
I also need something that's going to stimulate me. I don't want the same thing day after day, month after month, year after year. Right now, I'm focusing on Education with a minor in history, but who knows....
September 10th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
I have a bachelors in fine arts, and my first job was in the medical field. I did eventually use it though, I was a graphic designer for a medical company and my last job was a web designer for the governement. But I think I want to do something else, and I want to be a WAHM. But I don't have time to get and maintain a client list. I can't really go to meetings. I need something where I can work for a company but from home, so I'm going back to school to learn to be a medical transcriptionist.
September 19th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Veteran
Hi there! I'm a nursing student as well! I attend Norfolk State University in Virginia.

I decided to go through with the program because I've worked in the medical field the majority of my adulthood (I'm 26 now). I've been both a Certified Nurse Assistant and a Licensed Pharmacy Technician and loved both the positions. Unfortunately, they don't pay much at all. I figured, why not combine the two skills and become a Registered Nurse? I can still work with patients and study the effects of medications and make a really nice paycheck in the meantime. Good luck!!!!
September 27th, 2004, 07:54 AM
BeautyVirgoLeo
I am currently pregnant and was out of school for a while because I just didn't want to, but then when Cory and I were in Florida and I found out I was pregnant, it hit me. I will be an uneducated mother if I don't go back to school for my future. I want my child to live in a good home with educated parents. Cory is going back to school right now, he already has his bachelors in Culinary Arts but is going back for his Welding and Engineering Degree. Me, I am going back to school to get my degree in Child Development. I know it will be hard for the both of us but I think we will manage.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search