Can I afford to retrain?

Forum: Student Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Student Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hi All,

Hope everyone is ok I'm after a bit of advice please and success stories if possible as I don't see how I can afford to retrain

So before I had my little one who is now 8 months old I had a good 21k a year job but i'm going nowhere I'm stuck in the same position and its not exactly a career. I also work 40 miles away from home so are out of the house for at least 12 hours a day which now my little one is here is not even an option in my opinion and even if it was by the time i've paid out petrol and childcare I won't have enough left to pay the bills.

I've been looking at other admin jobs more locally but they don't pay as well as my current job, I know I can take a cut in regards to the petrol usage but then I'll have to pay childcare and I really want a career that give me potential, job satisfaction and that I value as helping others.

I would like to either become a Teacher or a Social Wordker I have worked in admin in both of these sectors and both are close to my heart due to the nature of helping children. However, I have found that both require you to already have a qualification and the best I have is GCSE's 4 at Grade C which include English, English Lit, IT and Business Studies but I got a D in my maths

How can I gain a place and work towards a degree if you need qualifications first? On the other hand I could go into full time education but can I really afford to do this? We just about manage to get by on my husbands wage and my SMP, does anyone know what I would be entitled to as a full time student? and then on top of that I will still need to pay for childcare and pay the bills.

Any help would be much appreciated, I don't want to be stuck in a dead end job but can't see a way of doing what I want to do

Thank you for taking the time to read, I hope you can help
November 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Forgive me if I am wrong, because I am assuming here. I am guessing that you are in the UK, so I don't have a lot of information about how things work there. Here in the US, there are lots of options for someone who wants to go back to school. There are grants specifically for non-traditional students, and you can get loans. The loans have to be paid back eventually though, so it is helpful to find as many grants as possible.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help. Hopefully someone else has some more information for you. Best of luck!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search