Just a few questions for you gals!

Forum: Student Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Student Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
Hey girls, I'm going to go back to college to finally get my BA in Business Admin, and would love any and all advice you gals can offer. For the first year or so, I plan on going part-time and doing a majority of the classes online, since it'd cost an arm and a leg to not only go to school full time, but also put 2 babies in daycare while my son is in preschool part-time. The school I'm planning on attending is the Univ. of Maryland - we're stationed overseas in Japan and it's a college that is offered here, both in class and online.

Scholarships? How did you apply? Any tips?

Loans?

Online classes - yay or nay?

I'm just a little overwhelmed and am not quite sure where to begin my process. I graduated high school back in 2001, and went to college for about 15 minutes after that. I dropped out and had a low GPA (around 1.3 I think), so I don't even want to use the credits I earned (sadly yes, I did earn credits with that crappy GPA) ...

Anyhow, just anything you girls can advise, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

June 11th, 2007, 02:54 AM
~Trina~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Trina~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Trina~
Scholarships.... there are several websites where you can get lists of scholarships. Also ask your financial aid worker or admissions counselor.

Online -- I love and hate online classes. Here's why... I love being able to do my homework and reading etc when it's convienent for me (such as it being 4:40 am and here I sit ). It definitely has it's perks ... I can go do activities w/ my kids any time and do school at night. However, I have found that it's actually more work in an online environment. I've been in two different schools and done online classes. You lose a few important things (at least they are to me) when going online. First, if you have a question....you have to email your question or post it on your class site ...and wait for someone to read it and then have time to write you back. All of my instructors have had "normal" office hours and so if I don't do my schoolwork until 9 pm or whatever, if I get stuck... I'm stuck till morning. Also, you miss out on elements of discussion. If you sit in a classroom and listen to the lecture, and have a comment/question you can just ask... and people generally carry on discussions better in person because it's less work to speak than type. I've found that workload is usually more with online classes too..... and it takes MORE time than on campus classes. More reading, more of a lot. It's just something you'll really struggle with or do pretty well with. It requires a LOT more self discipline!

Start by contacting the schools admissions department and also by filling out a FAFSA. It'll fall into place after that! It's not impossible... I'm going to school (12 credits per quarter) with 5 kids!

"A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water." -- Eleanor Roosevelt
June 13th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Trina had some really good answers for you. As for me, schloarships you definitely need to talk with your advisor for the different scholarships that are offered through your school. Also try to go to Fasfa.gov and fill out the Free Application for Federal Aid. It might get you a grant. That's what I do every yr. Loans you just need to shop around the banks and different financial institutions like Sallie Mae, Fannie Mae, places like that for the lowest intrest rate possible and make sure that you can pay them back until after you graduate. As far as online classes go I have taken both instructor led classroom classes and online classes. For me when I did my online class I would totally forget about the work whereas when I had to actually show up at a class to get the information I wouldn't forget. It differs for every person and please don't let my experience discourage you from selecting an online class. You do what fits you best, keep us updated on how it goes and it's good to see you posting!!
Shana

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search