Looking at Online Colleges....

Forum: Student Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Student Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
In 2005 I registered and such for online School through Western International University...Well I found out i was pregnant just days after the classes started and couldn't handle it and didn't want to loose another baby, also i didn't get much help from the school getting set up.

I'm looking for an online school for Graphic Design. I also don't know do online schools deal with federal financial aide? I've already been aproved for it my FAFSA came back as 0 family contribution.

Which school do You all think would be better? Do you know others not listed?

The Art Institute Online
Penn Foster College

**North Idaho College (N.I.C.)** Possibly. They have an online program but it doens't tell me what they offer

Any Info would be helpful

June 17th, 2007, 05:56 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
I personally go through Kaplan University (formerly ICM). I love the classes but I've found the administration is a pain to deal with. They lose papers (they lost my FAFSA two or three different times) and they don't answer the phones alot of the time. They also lose track of payments on occasion. If you can take care of paperwork by yourself and don't mind being very independent in taking care of problems and questions that arise than Kaplan is great. I know two people (one on here and one in RL) that go through University of Phoenix. They both say it's really hard class-wise but they seem to get a lot more support from the staff. Good luck in whatever you do!

Sara

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
June 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks. Deffently cannot go through University of Phoenix(im not even sure if they offer the degree i want) but last time i tried this they told me i couldn't do the university of phoenix i had to do their sister school western international university...i didn't get any help and never having gone to college before it was quite confusing

June 19th, 2007, 04:09 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
Quote:
Thanks. Deffently cannot go through University of Phoenix(im not even sure if they offer the degree i want) but last time i tried this they told me i couldn't do the university of phoenix i had to do their sister school western international university...i didn't get any help and never having gone to college before it was quite confusing[/b]
Western International University is a sister school of University of Phoenix and anyone without an associates degree starts there. That is where I started. After I earned 30 credits I was transferred to University of Phoenix and that is where I am now. It's confusing but your academic advisor will handle everything, you just have to sign a couple papers. You will still have the same academic/financial counselor as well.

What degree do you want?

I've checked out a lot of online colleges and so far WIU/UOP is the best. I dislike the administration because they are difficult to deal with, but the classes are great. It's a lot of writing but totally worth it.

If you decide to go with WIU/UOP then let me know. Everyone takes the same general education classes to start off with, at least that is what they told me. I could send you a little bit of my work to show you what things you would have to do. Just let me know!

</div>
June 19th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I deffently wont go through Western International University again, never! I tried it once, i didn't get any help and they are charging me money for books i never downloaded and i was enrolled for 2 freggin days. The person that was supposed to help me never did and he expected me to do it all on my own, plus he didn't help me with finding a way to pay, he told me i had to get a loan no matter what, which was bs becasue my mom barley made money and i was qualified for grants.

Im going for a Graphics Design degree(i said in the original post).

June 20th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not too sure about this one, I would think that the Art Institute Online would be your best bet. They are accredited and I've never heard any bad comments personally. Hope this helps.
June 21st, 2007, 02:58 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
Quote:
I deffently wont go through Western International University again, never! I tried it once, i didn't get any help and they are charging me money for books i never downloaded and i was enrolled for 2 freggin days. The person that was supposed to help me never did and he expected me to do it all on my own, plus he didn't help me with finding a way to pay, he told me i had to get a loan no matter what, which was bs becasue my mom barley made money and i was qualified for grants.

Im going for a Graphics Design degree(i said in the original post).[/b]
The academic and financial advisors do really stink there. I put up with it because it's one of the only schools I enjoy doing. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

Sorry, I thought maybe for Graphic Design you were going to specialize in something else (animation, videos, etc.)

</div>
June 23rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
RahRah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RahRah Send a message via Yahoo to RahRah
Have you ever looked into one of your local Universities? I take my classes online through the local Uni, not a designated online school. Just a thought.

June 23rd, 2007, 05:43 PM
The only one close to us is the community college N.I.C. that I listed, I have to check with them about their online because their website doesn't list it. From what I remember about 2 yrs ago when my mom was taking classes it was just core classes on line.
Im really thinking about the Art Institute but its still up in the air...I wont start till January so I have a while to make a good dessicion

June 25th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah definitely take your time making the decision, you will be glad you did!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search