First Years Trufit vs. Britax Marathon

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Super Mommy
I am looking into getting DS a new carseat becaus I plan on ERF and he is soon to outgrow his Britax Roundabout RFing. I am looking at either the Trufit of the Marathon, I of course like the pricetag of the Trufit better but was hoping someone on here could help me out with a few things. I want some measurements to compare and cant find the Trufit in a store to get the measurements myself. I want the measurement from the butt of the seat (where their butt goes obviously) to the top of the seat as well as the butt of the seat to the top strap notch. I would also like the width measurement at the base as well as the widest point. Oh and one width I almost forgot, the width of the inside of the seat.Im hoping someone who has the Trufit can help me as well as someone with the Marathon. I also posted in my May 09 playroom but wanted to post here as well. I would also LOVE opinions on both seats. Please Help me decide.

August 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello & welcome! I'm glad you stopped by here!

I will tell you that you will get MUCH MUCH MUCH more room rear facing in a TF than in a Marathon. And the True Fit offers so much more legroom. Are you needing the measurements because you're unsure if it will fit in your car? Or just trying to see which is a bigger seat and will last longer?

I'd pick the True Fit over the Marathon any day!

The "butt" area of the TF is way deeper than the Marathon = more leg room. The TF has a taller shell (27 inches from the butt of the seat to the top) than the Marathon = more rear facing time. The TF also has a taller top harness slot than the Marathon = more forward facing time as well. The TF also has an extra year of life (7 yr expiration, not 6 yr like the Marathon), so you'll be able to use it longer too (great if you want to pass it down for another child). The TF is great for newborns, but the Marathon does not fit newbrons. The Marathon's lowest harness slot is way too high for newborns.

I, personally, don't own either of these seats. But we have members who do own them so I hope they will come along and post the measurements that I'm unable to get you.

The True Fit's highest harness slot is a little over 17 inches. The Marathon's higest harness slot is about 17 inches. But every smidge counts!
August 28th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Super Mommy
Thank You for your very informative post, some of the measurements were to see which would last longer (the height measurements) the width measurements are to see how they would fit in my car because I am expecting our second baby in Novemeber and wanna see if the seat would fit next to the infant seat in my backseat and then if it would fit next to another of the same seat once I move the baby. I wont be putting a newborn in the Carseat but I will be moving her out of her infant seat and into the convertable well before she outgrows he infant seat, probably around 4 or 5 months. I have been leaning towars the Trufit (especially with the cheaper pricetag) but wanted more info before deciding. Your post has really helped but would love some more input. Another question, how are the carseats comparable as far as safety is concerned??

August 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM
AmandaR
Let me find a post comparing the legroom in a Britax to the True Fit (it's a Britax Boulevard, but the shell is the same as the Marathon). My DD has a TON more legroom in the TF and way more room to grow.
August 28th, 2009, 12:58 PM
AmandaR
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f7...t-premier.html (Comparison of Leg Room is Britax Boulevard and True Fit Premier)

The pictures aren't the best, but DD sits down a lot lower and deeper in the TF and has far more room than in her Britax seat.
August 28th, 2009, 01:13 PM
The safest car seat is one that you're going to use correctly 100% of the time, fits in your car, and is installed correctly. Every seat on the market is safe, none safer than the other. What makes a seat the safest is that you use it correctly.

So, the TF isn't "safer" than the Marathon. And the Marathon isn't "safer" than the TF.

Is it an option to have two car seats installed outboard (one on each side) instead of one in the middle?

I hope Amanda can come on here soon and give you some width measurements!
August 28th, 2009, 01:30 PM
AmandaR
I just wanted to post I am looking for my tape measure right now, and then I will post the measurements of the TF for you!
August 28th, 2009, 01:50 PM
AmandaR
Okay, I hope this helps you!

True Fit Measurements (this is the Premier, so it has the ARB on the bottom, I'm not sure how this effects the base measurement; all measurements are with the headrest):

Butt to top of seat: between right at 27 inches
Butt to top harness slow: just over 17 inches
Base measurements: just under 12 inches (side to side) by 16 inches (front to back)
Inside Seat Width: 12 inches (at the widest point) and 11 inches (at the smallest point)
Widest Point on Seat: 18.5 inches
August 28th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Thank you for those measurements, Amanda!!!
August 28th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Super Mommy
Thank You both for your posts, I'm going to look at that link as soon as I post this. I am definetly leaning towards the TF, actually I think you ladies have helped me decide to get the TF. Amanda may I ask the difference between the TF and the TF premier?? BTW it is nice seeing a familiar person in here. And Thank You for taking your time out of your day to measure your seat for me, it really helped and I really appreciate it. Also Erica, Thank You so much for all your input it has definetly helped in my decision making. Thank You for coming into my PR and suggesting I come here Im glad that I did. As far as your question about putting one seat oN each side, it is possible but with them being rearfacing Im afraid I'll have to move the drivers seat up making it too close to drive, KWIM. It would be easier with one in the middle and one behind the passenger side because it would be easier to move the passenger seat forward. But I just measured the backseat of my car and from the looks of it there shouldnt be a problem fitting them next to each other. Those measurements really helped, Thanks Again Amanda.

August 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM
AmandaR
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AmiMommy2CJ* View Post
Thank You both for your posts, I'm going to look at that link as soon as I post this. I am definetly leaning towards the TF, actually I think you ladies have helped me decide to get the TF. Amanda may I ask the difference between the TF and the TF premier?? BTW it is nice seeing a familiar person in here. And Thank You for taking your time out of your day to measure your seat for me, it really helped and I really appreciate it. Also Erica, Thank You so much for all your input it has definetly helped in my decision making. Thank You for coming into my PR and suggesting I come here Im glad that I did. As far as your question about putting one seat oN each side, it is possible but with them being rearfacing Im afraid I'll have to move the drivers seat up making it too close to drive, KWIM. It would be easier with one in the middle and one behind the passenger side because it would be easier to move the passenger seat forward. But I just measured the backseat of my car and from the looks of it there shouldnt be a problem fitting them next to each other. Those measurements really helped, Thanks Again Amanda.
I'm so happy the measurements helped.

The TFP has an AntiRebound Bar, which replaces the RF tether some seats have (it's optional though). I don't know if the ARB is neccessarily safer, but a big benefit of it is that is allows easier access to the harness adjuster in between the legs (like the button you push to loosen the harness, not sure what to call it lol) when the seat is RFing.
The other reason I got the TFP was because they just came out this year so I knew I would be getting a newer date of manufacture. The cheapest I have seen the TF is $146 on Amazon, and I paid $210 shipped to my door for my TFP. It has a seven year expiration and mine was only 4 months old when I got it, so it was worth the extra $60 or so dollars for me.
I also like the print on the TFP better, but that's not really that important.

Here are some pictures of the TFP:

Inside of the seat:

Just the seat:

The harness height adjuster, VERY easy to use:

The LATCH attachments, the nicer clips like on the Britax seats:

The harness adjuster/tightener that is in between the legs, it also has a level here:

The ARB:

The seat:

You can see how much deeper DD sits in the TFP versus her Boulevard in the background:

Hope these pictures help!!
August 29th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks, those pictures did help, if you dont mind me asking one more question since you have both a Britax and a TF. Width wise is one wider than the other and when rearfacing does one sit back farther (to where I would have to put my seat up a signicant amount more) than the other?

August 29th, 2009, 10:26 AM
babybuckeyein2008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a blvd and truefit also. I think that our blvd leans back more than our truefit personally...but it also gonna depend on the vehicle and the seat and the install. I don't think you will have any problem at all with them both being rearfacing. KUP =)
August 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM
The Boulevard and the Maraton are the same seat, but the Boulevard has headwings. So size wise, what everyone says about the BLVD will be the same for the MA.

I think you should go with the TF!!!
August 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Super Mommy
Yep, I think I am definetly going to get the Trufit. It will be a few weeks I think before I am able to get it because We are waiting till DH gets his bonus in a few weeks. I will definetly update when I do, with pictures. I am so glad I came to this board, it has been very informative and you have all made me feel so welcome.

August 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM
AmandaR
I would say the BLVD is a little further back than the TF, AND has less room. Happy we were able to help you and definitely let us know what you decide!!!
August 29th, 2009, 11:45 AM
AmandaR
I would say the BLVD is a little further back than the TF, AND has less room. Happy we were able to help you and definitely let us know what you decide!!!
August 29th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
I can't wait to see pics!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search