How your child should look in their car seat (pics)

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410

We see a LOT of these common errors:
  • Loose straps
  • Twisted straps
  • Chest clip too low
  • Straps too low/too high at shoulders
  • FF seats not top tethered (if your car doesn't have anchors, contact the manufacturer to have them retroffited!)

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

Last edited by Madeline410; April 7th, 2010 at 07:33 AM.
March 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
If anyone has pics of children in a proper fitting high back and/or backless booster, I'd love to add them to this thread. Please PM me!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

click HERE!

March 5th, 2010, 05:44 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maddie, this is great! Thank you!!
March 5th, 2010, 05:59 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Maddie, I did have one question, but hadn't looked it up/checked the manual since it'll be a couple years before it's an issue. Do all seats have to be tethered when ff? (I know it's safer, but is this a requirement?) When installing the MR65 for my niece (who's now 4 months old) I noticed that my mom's car (the main car my niece rides in) doesn't have the tether anchors. She drives Suzuki Grand Vitar and retrofitting the tether anchors would most likely cost her a good bit of her storage space. Now, I'm all for what's safest, but it's not my car and I'd like to be prepared with the facts if I have to bring it up.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
March 5th, 2010, 06:37 AM
It's not required, but very very strongly encouraged. If you absolutely cannot tether a FF seat, the Radian is a good option because of the low profile. Another good option is something with lock offs, like a Britax or a Nautilus Elite.. or a Frontier or Regent since they have those long belt paths.

I just looked in my LATCH manual since I'm not familiar with the car. If it's 2000 or older, you can have them retrofitted in all 3 positions. It says "Weld nuts in lower tailgate below cargo door." I have no idea what that means, but if you know the car, you can visualize where that is and decide if the space it takes up is ok. If it's '01 and newer, it will have tether anchors in it.

click HERE!

March 7th, 2010, 11:06 AM
*Fiona*
Sorry to butt in here, I saw the link in your siggy Maddie... I see the shoulder strps should be "at or above", do you mean where they are attached tto the seat? May I ask what the reasoning is for this please? My DDs straps are slightly below or as level her shoulders, it's concerned me a bit now! I will be checking this before we travel in the car next time!!

Also, these chest clips - did you buy those seperately? I've never seen these in the UK. They look fantastic at preventing little arms coming out of the straps.
March 7th, 2010, 11:54 AM
You aren't butting in! There are no chest clips in the UK because standards are different. Your seats are fine without them but the seats here require them

For forward facing, if the straps are below the shoulders, it can push down on the child and compress their spine in a crash. For rear facing, if the straps are above the shoulders, the child can "ramp-up" in the seat in a crash and we want them to stay put so there is less force on their spine. Does that make sense? I'm not familiar with seats in the UK though so check the car seat manual on strap placement. But yes, we mean where the harness goes into the back of the car seat by their shoulders. Check your manual on how to change the slot height. You are more than welcome to post pics too so we can take a look.

click HERE!

March 7th, 2010, 01:11 PM
*Fiona*
I feel like such a bad mummy, I just dug out the instruction manual and indeed what is posted here is correct and i have been using the seat incorrectly for a while now.

I spent a lot of time researching car seats and I chose the one we have due to it's safety. I feel I have chosen a fantastic seat, however, I haven't been using it correctly! I'm so glad I clicked the link in your siggy!!

Tmor morning, I intend to go out to the car and re-route the straps and give it a thorough check over. Thankfully I am very cautious about checking the seat is tightly secured every time we travel in the car, and I readjust the tightnes of the straps each time I put her in the seat as well. But I (ignorantly) had no idea about the strap height levels being so important.
March 7th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Don't feel bad!! Lots of people make the same mistake. That's why we're here. Does she still fit RF? It's loads safer at her age

click HERE!

March 7th, 2010, 01:44 PM
*Fiona*
She is FF now. I'm so glad I clicked your siggy link! I've posted a thread on the UK Mummies board, linking to this thread, just out of interest to see if we all check our babies seats and if we don't... that we do!!
March 19th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I posted this in the other thread, but for the benefit of lurkers, check out this link to see why we like to see kiddos RF until they are at least 2. http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f7...ar-facing.html (Extended Rear-Facing)

click HERE!

April 22nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
MrsStuartD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maddie you're the bestest! Thanks for reminding me it's time to up Tyler's straps. They're starting to get a little below the shoulder. I mentioned it to DH last week and completely forgot about it! We'll get it done tonight. What would we do without you!

Thanks Nicole (MommaDucks) for my new & awesome siggy.
April 22nd, 2010, 06:50 PM

click HERE!

April 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's time for me to up Allie's straps too. I'm actually going to wash her car seat cover tonight, so when I recover it I will check her straps to make sure they are at the correct level...THANKS for the reminder

May 27th, 2010, 09:59 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great thread, I am going to C&P and link it to my board!

May 28th, 2010, 08:00 AM
^Wonderful

click HERE!

June 11th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Alexa5
Deleted...moved to harness thread

Last edited by Alexa5; June 11th, 2010 at 05:21 AM.
March 14th, 2011, 01:29 PM
bump

click HERE!

Tags
car seat , proper use

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search