Graco SnugRide 32 issue -- straps are too tight!

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Just wondering if this is a common issue, or if I'm doing something wrong here.

We have a Graco SnugRide 32 for our 5-month-old son. We haven't had his measurements taken lately, but I know he's nowhere near the 32lb limit (more like 16-17lbs?), nor the 32" height limit (more like 26-27"?). He does, however, seem to have a long torso, which I'm wondering if that's part of our problem.

A month or so ago we adjusted the shoulder straps to the highest of the four levels, since that's where his shoulders are when he's sitting in the seat, and since then it just doesn't seem like the straps loosen enough to get him in and out without a struggle! I have TONS of strap left on the bottom strap (by his feet) that you're supposed to pull tighter and loosen, but the loosest that the straps will go is barely enough room to get his arms out. The difference between the straps tightened and the straps loosened is only about an inch at the most. I'm concerned that we're going to have to get a new one soon (WAY before we planned) because he can't get in and out comfortably.

Is this common? Am I doing something wrong? Is there some way to adjust these straps so that they're looser?
April 15th, 2010, 03:41 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Are you able to post a pic of your son in the seat? If he is 26-27 inches, he should almost definitely not be at the top shoulder slot. My 11 month old is 28-29 inches and rides in a SafeSeat (same shell at the SnugRide 32), and she barely fits in the second slot from the bottom. My guess is that if you moved the straps back down, you will have more harness. The shoulder straps must be at or below the shoulders when RFing.

Another thought is to rethread the harness and make sure it's not caught on anything.
April 15th, 2010, 03:42 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm wondering if the harness is getting caught up on something. It is quite possible if he's on the highest harness slot that he could be running out of length in the harness, but I'm thinking that's not the issue here. Can you double check to make sure everything is routed the right way, not twisted, and not caught up on something?

By the way, I see that you mentioned the seat height limit. You can disregard that stated height limit. For a rear facing seat, you go by the 1" rule to determine when a child has outgrown the car seat by height. There must be at least 1 inch of car seat shell above the child's head for them to still use the seat. If there is 1 inch or less, the seat is outgrown even if the weight limit hasn't been met yet. You can use this thread for a visual of how to measure 1 inch Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Vehicle & Child Passenger Safety Forums - View Single Post - How to tell if your RF seat is outgrown
April 15th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnk1029 View Post
Just wondering if this is a common issue, or if I'm doing something wrong here.

We have a Graco SnugRide 32 for our 5-month-old son. We haven't had his measurements taken lately, but I know he's nowhere near the 32lb limit (more like 16-17lbs?), nor the 32" height limit (more like 26-27"?). He does, however, seem to have a long torso, which I'm wondering if that's part of our problem.

A month or so ago we adjusted the shoulder straps to the highest of the four levels, since that's where his shoulders are when he's sitting in the seat, and since then it just doesn't seem like the straps loosen enough to get him in and out without a struggle! I have TONS of strap left on the bottom strap (by his feet) that you're supposed to pull tighter and loosen, but the loosest that the straps will go is barely enough room to get his arms out. The difference between the straps tightened and the straps loosened is only about an inch at the most. I'm concerned that we're going to have to get a new one soon (WAY before we planned) because he can't get in and out comfortably.

Is this common? Am I doing something wrong? Is there some way to adjust these straps so that they're looser?
We had the same issue except my son was near a year old when we had move the harness to the top slot. He was 30" at 9 months and it wasn't until 10.5-11 months that he was on the top slot. My son is tall at 12.5 months. He's nearly 32" and has a long torso as well; are you sure the straps need to be on the highest setting? Is the harness BELOW his shoulders? I HATED using his infant seat once the straps were like this. If it were me, I'd probably move him to a convertible seat and use the infant one for a secondary seat

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

Last edited by Mommy2Maddox; April 15th, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
April 15th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I checked and nothing was twisted or routed wrong, though the way that it is still just doesn't seem right with the amount of "extra" strap I have at the end and yet still not able to loosen it more.

Hmmm... well here's a recent pic... I know it's hard to tell where the straps are in this pic, but he's already in bed for the night. So below the shoulder (so that the strap goes up and over?) is better than above it? I moved it up b/c the higher one was closer to his shoulders, but maybe I should move it back down then?

ETA: Nevermind... I have to have 10 posts before using links I have it posted at tinyurl dot com/wnkcarseat
April 15th, 2010, 06:06 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I couldn't find the pic, that web address isn't working. Post, post, post so we can see!

For rear facing, the harness slot needs to be below the shoulders or at the shoulders. Not above, not even a smidge above. If they're above his shoulders at all, they should be moved back down.
April 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
For rear facing, the harness slot needs to be below the shoulders or at the shoulders. Not above, not even a smidge above. If they're above his shoulders at all, they should be moved back down.
Hmmm... in that case, I think I'll move it down for good measure. I know that they were close, but I'll bet they were still a bit above. THANKS so much!

BTW, how on earth does anyone ever use the top strap then? If I wait until he's taller, he's going to fill in the straps and I won't be able to loosen it at all.
April 15th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
It has a 2nd set of "loops" in the harness. You'll have to unthread the harness and then hook the splitter plate to the loops that are further out. Go to page 21-23 of this manual
http://download.gracobaby.com/Produc.../PD100628A.pdf

Oh, and you can post links, they just have to be approved by a moderator first.. which shouldn't take more than an hour.. hopefully less when we're doing well LOL!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

April 16th, 2010, 05:29 AM
[QUOTE=Madeline410;19831336]It has a 2nd set of "loops" in the harness. You'll have to unthread the harness and then hook the splitter plate to the loops that are further out. Go to page 21-23 of this manual

Perfect! Just what I was looking for!
April 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Mommy2Maddox's Avatar Proud Army Wife & Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline410 View Post
It has a 2nd set of "loops" in the harness. You'll have to unthread the harness and then hook the splitter plate to the loops that are further out. Go to page 21-23 of this manual
http://download.gracobaby.com/Produc.../PD100628A.pdf

Oh, and you can post links, they just have to be approved by a moderator first.. which shouldn't take more than an hour.. hopefully less when we're doing well LOL!
Man, that would've been great to know when Maddox was still using his SR32! Guess I should've read the manual instead of just assuming that was the way it was lol!

huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

April 17th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
lol! I know, most people don't know. And on the flip side, people that get one from a friend don't know that the harness gets smaller to they can't get it tight enough on their newborn.

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

May 25th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Thank you! I had the same problem with my infant seat. Got it fixed, Thank you everyone!
May 26th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was going to suggest the 2nd set of loops, my 16 month old is average height and only just on the top slots.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search