Need Help with Car Seat installation in Ford Explorer - pics included

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
nat1970's Avatar Nicole - Mom2Leah,Ty,TJ
Hi Ladies. I'm delivering my twins on the 13th and am trying to make sure the car seats will fit in my car. I have an 18 month old daughter and she rides in the Britax Blvd. I'm sure I have the outboard Chicco installed correctly using the LATCH, but am worried about the center Chicco. All I did was route the shoulder belt through the slots, but I am still able to move the shoulder belt freely and as you can see in one of the pictures I can move the base easily and not sure if this is right. I need to look up where I can take the vehicle in to be inspected, but it looks like it is just at police stations and have read here and the car-seat.org board that they aren't certified. Would you mind taking a look at my pics and seeing what you think. Thank you.

You see how it goes crooked if you just move it?

July 3rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does the center seat belt not have a locking retractor? If you pull the shoudler belt all the way out, does it ratchet back in? If not, does it have a locking latch plate? Remove the base, and just buckle the seat belt. Try pulling on the lap portion of the belt to see if it loosens or stays tight. If it stays tight, you have a locking latch plate. If it loosens, you're going to need to use a locking clip when you install the base. The car seat's manual will give you instructions on how to use a locking clip.

When you install the base, you should put weight on it/press it down and remove all of the slack out of the lap portion of the belt. Are you using the lock-offs? (Note: If it's a lap only seat belt you can not use the lock offs) When you check for movement on the base, only check at the belt path. Do not check for movement anywhere other than the belt path. Use one hand. See if it moves 1 inch side to side, or 1 inch front to back.
July 3rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks Erica, I will have to take a look at it when it stops raining. I do know when I pull on the shoulder portion it does go back into place and doesn't lock. Is the locking clip something I will have to buy?

Also, I found this website and found an event next Sat close to my house, but I really wanted to take it somewhere this week because I'm afraid if I wait too late then I won't get it taken care of. I'm just stressing myself out about the car seat situation. I just want to make sure they are safe in the car. Safe Kids Greater Houston--Home

Other than the locking issue, does it look like they fit properly?

Thanks again.

July 3rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The locking clip should be somewhere on the seat itself, and the manual should have instructions on how to use it.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 3rd, 2010, 11:37 PM
smileybrea's Avatar ♥ Proud Doula & CPST ♥
Pull the belt ALL the way out and see if it locks..most do.

You can go here to find a technician in your area if you do not want to wait for the event Click on the right where it says find a technician then type in your zip or city.

Did you know that 95% of children are not properly restrained in a vehicle?
Make sure your child is not one of them!

July 4th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Definitely go to that Safe Kids event if you can!!! They are all CPSTs Safe Kids events are great! Please go if you can. You need to make an appointment, I would call first thing Monday morning to see if you can get an appointment. If they talk about being full, maybe you could tell them your situation and they could get you in.

It looks like there are several that week, if any others are close to you.
July 7th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the helpful info. I went to the Sheriff's office this morning (they were on the SafeKids website) and they were able to check the seats. They were glad that I was RF'ing DD who is 18 months today. I had DD's seat in correctly and buckled her correctly. I did have the Chicco infant seat on the outboard side a little loose, but I installed it late last night in the rain. They explained how to install the center seat using the shoulder belt so I feel better seeing how it is supposed to be done. Now I feel better about bringing my little boys home next week.

July 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM
That's great!!! I'm glad you got it worked out Great job!! Be sure to share some pictures of your little guys when they get home. Good luck, and congratulations!!!
July 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
So glad you got it all fixed!! With the Chicco base, that orange slot is a lock off for the shoulder belt.

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

July 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline410 View Post
So glad you got it all fixed!! With the Chicco base, that orange slot is a lock off for the shoulder belt.
They showed me how to use the orange slot, but also said I'm supposed to pull the shoulder strap all the way out until it reverses and then let out the slack, but with it staying locked. Kinda hard to explain, but now I understand what I'm supposed to do.

July 10th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
Yep, that's the locking retractor. You should do that with every seat. A seat belt needs to be locked PRE-crash to keep a car seat in place.

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search