Best Convertible Carseat for Small Cars??

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2010, 05:57 AM
polarbearmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies,
I need some suggestions on convertible carseats for a smaller car. I drive a '99 Honda Civic and the back is pretty limited on space. I was looking into a Britax Roundabout or Grace MyRide65, but read that they can both be quite bulkly

I want her to be RFing for as long as possible, so I would need it to recline correctly/comfortably in my tiny car.

Thanks!

July 17th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
How much does she weigh and how tall is she? What is your budget?

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

July 17th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline410 View Post
How much does she weigh and how tall is she? What is your budget?
Currently, she is almost 20lbs and under 30 inches (her 9 month appt is next week, so I will have exact details then). She is still using her Chicco KeyFit30 at this point, but it is getting so difficult to lug around with her in it that I just usually leave the carseat in the car and take her out whenever we go anywhere.

I wanted to get a head start on carseat shopping in that I need to purchase 3 total (1 for my car, 1 for DH, and 1 for MIL--who is our child caregiver) and I've been seeing good deals on carseats lately so I didn't think it would hurt to purchase it in advance when i saw a deal. We will be keeping her RFing for as long as possible.

Ideally, I would like to stay under $200 because I have to buy 3 and that's going to be quite costly overall.

July 17th, 2010, 07:17 AM
My sister has a small car (Focus) and I've never had a problem getting a car seat in there. If it's super tall (like a Radian or Complete Air) you can put it in the middle so it doesn't make the front seat unusable. Since she is a bit older, you can install the car seat more upright than 45 degrees so it won't take up a ton of space front-to-back. If the infant seat fit, you shouldn't have a problem.

What kind of cars do DH and MIL drive? Is size an issue there too?

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

click HERE!

July 17th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline410 View Post
What kind of cars do DH and MIL drive? Is size an issue there too?
DH drives a Chrysler 300 and MIL drives a Chevy HHR so size shouldn't be too much of an issue since they both seem to be a bit roomier in the back than my car

What do you think about the Roundabout or the MyRide?? I keep hearing terrific things about Britax and am wondering if it's worth the hype?

Last edited by polarbearmama; July 17th, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
July 17th, 2010, 07:40 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is your car a 2 door or a 4 door?

My DH has a 4 door Accord, and we can install the Graco My Ride 65 and the Evenflo Triumph rear facing.

IMO, if the infant carrier fit back there as reclined as those installs, you'll be able to get just about any rear facing convertible back there installed more upright since she's older.

Can you go to your local Babies R Us and do a couple test installs in your vehicle with some different seats they have?
July 17th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
Is your car a 2 door or a 4 door?

Can you go to your local Babies R Us and do a couple test installs in your vehicle with some different seats they have?
My car is a 4 door, so much easier to get her in and out

Great idea about the test installs, I don't know if our local BRU will let me do that, but it's definitely worth a shot!

July 17th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Babies R Us will let you, you just have to leave your driver's license at the customer service desk
July 17th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the feedback ladies!

So...is the Britax brand really worth the money??

July 17th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Britax seats are great seats, but there are so many other seats on the market with all the same features plus some for less money. Some people are (I hate to say this- and it's not to offend anyone) brand snobs and they think that $$$ = the best. All of the seats on the market have passed the exact same safety testing. So, Britax seats aren't bad seats... they're great seats, but I will never own a Britax convertible because I can get more for less with another brand, kwim?
July 17th, 2010, 01:24 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
Britax seats are great seats, but there are so many other seats on the market with all the same features plus some for less money. Some people are (I hate to say this- and it's not to offend anyone) brand snobs and they think that $$$ = the best. All of the seats on the market have passed the exact same safety testing. So, Britax seats aren't bad seats... they're great seats, but I will never own a Britax convertible because I can get more for less with another brand, kwim?
I agree with this. The BEST car seat is the one that properly fits your child, is installed properly, and is used properly 100% of the time. I would also add in that it fits in your budget because there are seats at every price point, and price is a huge concern when buying a new seat.

What about buying a less expensive seat for your MIL and/or DH? I would buy a more expensive seat for whatever car(s) get used most of the time because they have more features that you will use day in and day out. Then get a less expensive seat for your backup cars. What about a Cosco Scenera? It will RF to 35lbs and FF to 40lbs, lasting until your DD is 3-4.

Are you talking $200 total or $200 each?
July 17th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
Are you talking $200 total or $200 each?
Under $200 per seat.

Great idea about possibly getting less expensive seats for other cars, my initial thought was for ease of all of us to get the same seat in all the cars so that it would be less confusing, but I guess as long as the primary driver of each car knows how to buckle their particular seat correctly, the same seat is not really necessary.

I am definitely open to other seats that might are great and under the $200 price range. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated!!

July 17th, 2010, 07:28 PM
MaggieQ's Avatar Veteran
If you're looking at Britax seats, I'd wait until mid august, they just did a complete re-design and addressed a lot of issues they had before. Better seat; same price

July 17th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieQ View Post
If you're looking at Britax seats, I'd wait until mid august, they just did a complete re-design and addressed a lot of issues they had before. Better seat; same price
Thanks for telling me about this! Do you know what type of issues they addressed?

July 17th, 2010, 08:37 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
The new ones have higher RFing and FFing limits. Supposedly the seats are 2" deeper allowing for more leg room for RFing toddlers and preschoolers. The harness height is the same meaning any Britax convertible is still not suitable for a newborn. There are also new patterns coming out.
July 18th, 2010, 07:30 AM
But relating to that, if you DO want a Britax, now would be the time to get one.. or at least a month from now. They will all be cheap to make room for the new models. I had a Boulevard and I loved it. I just had to get a different seat to offer my very tall 2 year old more leg room. She still fits in a Roundabout 50 Rear-facing, I just chose to get a deeper seat because I'm a car seat addict LOL. I wouldn't get a Roundabout unless it's a RA50, though.

I'd go to BRU and try a RA50, Marathon, or Boulevard.. a Complete Air.. a My Ride, an Evenflo Triumph 65.. stay away from the alpha-omega 3 in 1s.

click HERE!

July 19th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If you decide on a Britax, I have the First Class Si (Most similar to a Marathon in the US) and it fits RF in our 2 door VW Polo. AND I can still use the passenger seat. It only RF to 35lbs, but for DD thats fine as she is still under 18lbs at 15 months. Heightwise its got a really tall shell compared to others that I could have bought.

However, unless you get a halfprice deal like I did, then they are almost unjustifiably expensive! (but come in pretty patterns!)

July 19th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We tried a number of seats in DH's smaller sports car and the bigger Britax seats (Marathon) actually fit well in the middle - it goes between the two front seats. I was totally surprised. It would be worth trying those and seeing if they work with your small car since they will last longer than a roundabout. Our target is blowing out the old ones to make room for the new ones. I think they were down to $179. They will be blowing the older ones out everywhere soon. Although, personally I'm waiting for a new one. I want more legroom and I love one of the new patterns (but I only have to buy 1, not 3 so I can splurge more!)

Good luck! I think the best thing is to try them in the car - that's how we found what would work for us.

Thank you Vicki for my siggy!
July 19th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
We have a My Ride 65 behind the passenger seat of our 4 door Hyundai Elantra, and it's a small car.

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!
July 19th, 2010, 04:40 PM
THANKS so much for all the feedback!!!

This is great and I now actually have a starting point as to what to look for, a trip to BRU is definitely in my future to test some seats in my car.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search