Help w/ choosing Combination booster/harnessing car seat!

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By KMH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nick n Nate's Mom Send a message via MSN to Nick n Nate's Mom
Hi Ladies!

I am having a really hard time choosing a car seat for my preschooler. He is currently in a True Fit Premier and fits fine in there as he is on the smaller side. I also have a very LARGE 5 month old who is RF'ing in a Britax Decathalon.(originally my 3 year olds)

We are having issues with remembering to leave car seats at daycare at drop off when whoever takes the kids to daycare so we are thinking of investing in a combination high back booster with a 5 pt harness for my almost 4 year old and then he can ride in either car seat in each car and we'd only have to remember 2. We want to get a booster/harness combo b/c he will be 4 soon and can grow into it.

I know that the Britax Frontier 85 is probably the safest and most highly recommended but I can't afford that!

I am going to do the BRU trade in and will have 25% off to use but only on select brands.

Soooo what might you suggest?

*thanks to Madge for my fab siggy!*

September 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The Graco Nautilus is recommended quite often and there are several members who have one (or more than one lol). My kids aren't old enough for a Nautilus so I can't share first-hand experience but I will tell you that the price of a car seat doesn't mean it's safer or better than the more economical models. All car seats have to pass the same safety testing. Hopefully a Nautilus owner will chime in here, too.

September 12th, 2010, 09:26 AM
MamaToARockStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
id go with the nautilus or the evenlo maestro,the maestro is much cheaper but is also a good seat,it has high top slots and makes a decent booster

September 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Price does not equal safety. Being educated about car seat safety equals safety! So if you can't afford the Britax Frontier 85, don't fret! There are safe seats in every price range.

Some great combination seats are:

Britax Frontier 85 (you already knew that - FFs to 85lbs, boosters to 120lbs, around $225)
Graco Nautilus (FFs to 65lbs, boosters to 100lbs, around $150)
Evenflo Maestro (FFs to 50lbs, boosters to 100lbs, around $80)
Safety 1st Apex 65 (FFs to 65lbs, boosters to 100lbs, around $100)

ETA: BRU does not carry the Maestro and Apex 65. If you wanted the Nauti from BRU, it would be 135 after the 25% off plus tax and gas to drive to the store. You can get it at Amazon for 139 with free shipping and no tax. The Frontier 85 would be 210 at BRU after 25% off plus tax and gas. It is 210 from Amazon with free shipping and no tax. BRU is almost never the best deal even with the 25% coupon.

Last edited by amylynne01; September 12th, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
September 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
:::Dan!elle:::'s Avatar Proud to be a CPST!
Michelle, we have the Nautilus and I LOVE it! Matthew still has a little room to grow in it (he is 5, 48 pounds and 44 inches tall) but we have recently moved him to a booster so Evan could take over the Nautilus.
September 12th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Super Mommy
We have four Nautiluses (two in each car) for my 6 year old and 4 year old and they are both harnessed. We HIGHLY recommend the seat!

Thank you JMC1988 for my siggy!

September 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM
ZeliaMarie
Lurking on this board but just wanted to add... I also have a Nautilus for my DD and I love it. I bought ours when they first came out 2 years ago and I plan to buy another one for my DS when he out grows his Chicco keyfit 30. We travel a lot and I have used this car seat on the plane with 4 different airlines, and taken a 15 hour road trip. My DD is comfortable. Plus the seat had great saftey ratings. Also, my DD is 2 1/2 (36" tall) and the back of the seat is still on the lowest setting. So there is plenty of room to grow.
September 14th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Taramomof3's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I have the Nautilus for my 4 year old (still harnessed) and love it!!!

Brianna Eve (09/12/09) Dillan Zarek (07/20/06) Chase Alexander (10/04/08)

September 14th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nick n Nate's Mom Send a message via MSN to Nick n Nate's Mom
Thank you guys so much! Esp. for AmyLYnne01 for pricing things out for me! I think we will go with the Nautilus! Thanks again!

*thanks to Madge for my fab siggy!*

February 1st, 2013, 07:57 PM
If you haven't already chosen a combination car seat, then I suggest the Britax Frontier 85. This car seat is, in my opinion, the best combination car seat at it's price. See this review for reference:

Britax Frontier 85 Review

My cousin has this car seat for his son and he loves it! It is very simple to use and it is very comfortable for the baby. It is also very good quality and it gets very good feedback from all the reviews around the internet. Plus, it is on sale, if I do recall.

Last edited by cjdj3; February 1st, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
February 1st, 2013, 08:45 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Holy random thread revival, Batman!
amylynne01 and BeachMum like this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search