Car seat brand - Baby Trend?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2010, 05:38 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
Hi all - I have lurked on this board on and off for a while. I am Christine and expecting baby #1 in April. I am starting to search for car seats and strollers. I would like a car seat that can fit into a stroller and DH and I both like the twisted handle that some car seats have. We both liked the triangular shape of the baby trend car seats. I have been researching consumer reviews online and it seems mixed. Some say the Flex lock handle is hard to move and the seat is too narrow to go up to 30 pounds, others have nothing but good things to say. I also love that baby trend comes in purple but in the end it comes down to the safety of my baby and not style.

Does anyone here have a Baby Trend? Do you like it? Do you recommend against this brand?

I would love to hear any suggestions on this or other brands! Thanks for any input!
December 6th, 2010, 05:49 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no experience with Baby Trend, but the seat can be difficult to install and use (the buckle needs to be puzzled together, I believe, instead of a 2 prong buckle). It is infact a very narrow seat, and smaller (shorter shell) than the Graco SnugRide 30/32/35 models and the Chicco Keyfit, you won't get a child to 30 pounds in it... no way. I, personally, prefer Graco & Chicco for infant seats, and the Safety 1st onBoard35 Air is a great seat too. You should go to your local baby stores and play around with the seats to get a feel for what you would like.

Last edited by ::er!ca::; December 6th, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
December 6th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Super Mommy
I have no experience with Baby Trend, but I do love my Graco Snugride 35!

Thank you JMC1988 for my siggy!

December 6th, 2010, 10:40 PM
AndyBee's Avatar Super Mommy
I bought a BabyTrend travel system. I absolutely loved the stroller, but was not too keen on the car seat. When we installed it into the car, it never felt secure. If I hit up against the bottom/front, it would easily swing into the back of the seat. I'm sure we were doing something wrong, but it seemed like we followed the manual perfectly.

We never got a chance to use the system, so I don't know how well it is in actual use. I would highly recommend having it inspected prior to first use.

Special thanks to AlexAiden Mommy for my precious siggy
December 7th, 2010, 04:46 AM
I have read and it seems to be what is recommended here - that graco, safety first and chicco are the top brands. What about Evenflo? We are trying to get a car seat with a twisted handle and at least from the online pics graco and safety 1st do not have handles like that. Like I said in my first post it eventually comes down to safety not the style but if we can get both together than great!

And I know it comes down to me getting out to the store but I want to have some brands in mind to look at a certain ones to stay away from if necessary.
December 7th, 2010, 05:23 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
There are no Evenflo seats with a higher weight limit. Most of their seats go to 22lbs, meaning their shell is short and can be outgrown as early as 3 months! Many moms who buy 22 lbs weight limit seats from any brand are pretty disappointed when they realize they last less than 6 months.

If you want the best bang for your buck, buy an infant seat that goes to 30+lbs. Use it as a carrier as long as you can. When baby gets too heavy, leave the infant carrier in the car and take baby in and out just like you would a convertible. Erica and I have both done this with a Graco SafeSeat 1 (goes to 30lbs) and been able to get 16-18 months out of our seats.

This is just my opinion, but I don't feel like the twisted handle is any easier than a straight one. An infant carrier is still a beast to carry no matter which way you carry it. I always slung my arm through the handle and held the carrier close to my body for the most support. I could never hold the carrier with my arm extended all the way down because it would throw off my center of gravity.

I would also suggest going to BRU to try out the seats they have. Play with the harnesses and buckles. Carry them around. Click them in and out of bases. If you get a travel system, play with the stroller too. Fold it up. See how big it is and if it will fit in your trunk. Actually seeing a seat may or may not change your mind.
December 7th, 2010, 06:10 AM
mommabirdof4
We had a baby trend carrier for both of our kiddos...and it was a PITA. I would not recommend it to anyone. But it served it's purpose for us...just didn't care for it at all...we don't really like using the carseat as a carrier...we are babywearers here. We moved DD into a convertiable at 1 1/2 months and DS at 4 months.

And we have had two of there strollers...one was the simple 40$ single stroller that we really loved...doesn't get used anymore since a single stroller doesn't so us much good right now...but it may get used a little once the twins come along as a second stroller for DH to push. The other one was the three wheel "jogging" stroller...we hated it and had issues with the front wheel breaking after the 3rd use...ended up selling it on craigslist so I could get a different stroller to use while preggo with DD.
December 7th, 2010, 08:56 AM
:::Dan!elle:::'s Avatar Proud to be a CPST!
We have this Baby Trend seat and I LOVE it! It is narrow, but IMO it's isn't too narrow. Logan is 10 months old and we are still using it. She is only 17 pounds but is long and we still have some room to grow. You do have to puzzle the crotch buckle together, but it's very easy to get used to. I love how you just turn a knob in the back and it adjusts the harness height. And the handle is very easy to get up and down and does make carrying a lot easier because of the shape. I will get a picture of her in it when she wakes up.

ETA: We also have the matching stroller and out of the 4 strollers I have owned, this is my favorite!

Last edited by :::Dan!elle:::; December 7th, 2010 at 08:59 AM.
December 7th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
This is just my opinion, but I don't feel like the twisted handle is any easier than a straight one. An infant carrier is still a beast to carry no matter which way you carry it. I always slung my arm through the handle and held the carrier close to my body for the most support. I could never hold the carrier with my arm extended all the way down because it would throw off my center of gravity.

That info helps tremendously! And what you said about the weight limits is exactly why I am not buying a travel system - I don't want to have to go out and buy a new car seat in 6 months. I do want one that will lock into the stroller though.

Does anyone know if the different brands work together - like a graco car seat with a safety first stroller? I know the fabrics wouldn't match but I am just curious.
December 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
You can get a Snap N' Go for $40-$50 and it'll hold any Baby Trend infant seat and a few others like the Graco Snugride, Chicco Keyfit (30), and Evenflo Embrace and Discovery.

I've only ever used Graco Snugrides and I love them.
December 7th, 2010, 06:19 PM
My Graco SafeSeat (goes to 30 pounds) came in a travel system, you can also get the SnugRide 30/32/35 in a travel system too. So I wouldn't rule out looking at travel systems, you can still get one with a higher weight.
December 7th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey Christine! I tried the baby trend car seat out (in the store) It seems nice. I like the non rethreading harness, but the travel system car seats don't have that.

A few things I DIDN'T like: The release lever is in the front.... The handle IS hard to move up and down.... the buckle is weird, you have to puzzle the pieces together before buckling it. Instead of being able to put one side in and then the other...

I really liked the Snugride 32 or 35 best, because the height limit is 32" and I hear babies grow out of their seats in height before they do in weight... I hope to get at least a year out of it.

Graco Quattro Tour Deluxe Travel System Stroller - Deco - Graco - Babies "R" Us

December 7th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
I believe the Graco Safe Seat 1 isn't being made anymore, since SnugRide30 has come out. And Evenflo now has a Serenade infant seat that is 35lbs, although it's only sold at specificity shops and I'd at the same price point as the higher weight limit Gracos. I wouldn't use a Graco seat with a BabyTrend's single stroller. I believe their sit and stand has an adapter for other seats.

That being said. I have two Graco Safe Seat 1s. We used one of them with our little one, but he was a big baby and fit quite well. I've heard little babies don't fit the seat quite well. We also have a Graco SnugRide 32. I'm currently using that seat in my car. My baby is still in the 98% all around. At his 6 month check up he was 22lbs 8oz and 29". He's still got room to grow in the buckets. I'm only 5' but even if I have a bit of trouble I can still carry him in the seat. I got a Graco SnugRider stroller a few weeks ago. I wish I had bought that from the start. We had a Graco umbrella the seats snapped into before, but the snap-n-go type I like a lot better for the bucket. We also have a Graco Quattro that I LOVE the stroller with our without the seat.

Another infant bucket I like is the OnBoard Air 35 with the deluxe base. This seat seems to fit little extremely well. Someone on c-s.org posted a picture of a 15" Dora doll in the seat. She was a bit on the "lean" side but height wise she fit in it just fine.

made by BAM

December 8th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargatemommy View Post
Hey Christine! I tried the baby trend car seat out (in the store) It seems nice. I like the non rethreading harness, but the travel system car seats don't have that.

A few things I DIDN'T like: The release lever is in the front.... The handle IS hard to move up and down.... the buckle is weird, you have to puzzle the pieces together before buckling it. Instead of being able to put one side in and then the other...

I really liked the Snugride 32 or 35 best, because the height limit is 32" and I hear babies grow out of their seats in height before they do in weight... I hope to get at least a year out of it.

Graco Quattro Tour Deluxe Travel System Stroller - Deco - Graco - Babies "R" Us
It doesn't matter what the stated height limit is, as long as the child has 1 inch of shell above their head, they fit. They could outgrow it by height at 29 inches if they have a long torso, or still fit in it at 36 inches if they have a really short torso.
December 8th, 2010, 08:12 AM
stephie1012's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The onboard air35, comes as a travel system as well. We bought just the seat tho. It fits in the graco snap and go, but no other snap and go's. It fits littles really well. DD came home from the hospital on the 2nd crotch strap and the 2ns set of harness slots. at 6wks she was on the 3rd set.

December 8th, 2010, 11:05 AM
M&RsMom's Avatar Mama to silly boys
Send a message via AIM to M&RsMom
My old daycare baby has a Baby Trend seat and I hated using it! It was no easier to carry with the different handle but the puzzled buckle was a PITA!!

December 8th, 2010, 01:55 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Having been a nanny to several children in the past...and having my own now. I have to say my two favs are the Chicco and the Graco. We went with the Graco (see up a couple posts) for our son. And I have not regretted that purchase.

With various children I have dealt with the Evenflo models, the Baby Trend models, the Britax model, and the two I mentioned. I found the Evenflos to feel "flimsy" and have thin padding for the children. Not to mention they are not near as useful with their 22lb weight limit. I did not like them. The Baby Trend was "okay." I used that with a preemie I nannied for and it was fine...but not a fav. The handle actually annoyed me because I carry the seats on my arm too. It is so much easier, since those things are heavy! The Britax I hated because Julia hated it. She screamed in it. The side impact was seriously constricting (very close to her head), the padding left a lot to be desired, and it was a pain to take in and out of the car. So I don't recommend that either.

I love the Graco (and the Chicco, although those seem to be a tighter fit when the babies get a little older). We have used our Graco recently and my son is 13 months. He is just now hitting 32'' so it is done. But weightwise, he is 23lbs even and could have used it longer if his torso was not super-long.

And I love the travel system too! I use the stroller ALL THE TIME. And did with both the infant seat and without it. I love it. It was a good sound purchase Good luck with shopping! I def think you should go try them out (with maybe a couple bags of flour to weigh them down) and see what you might like in reality. It does change from internet shopping. And you can ask the employees about stroller-car seat matches. I know some are universal and some are brand-specific.
December 8th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
It doesn't matter what the stated height limit is, as long as the child has 1 inch of shell above their head, they fit. They could outgrow it by height at 29 inches if they have a long torso, or still fit in it at 36 inches if they have a really short torso.
Regardless, they can use a snugride 32/35 longer since it has a taller shell than a regular snugride!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search