safety first stroller with graco car seat? And infant car seat question

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2011, 01:09 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
So my dad got a really nice safety first stroller at an auction. It is brand new (this auction sells only new discontinued items). I think it is the pattern that has been discontinued because I can't find the matching car seat. I read in a review that someone was using a graco car seat with the safety first stroller. Does anyone know if they are compatible?

Also I had registered for a graco travel system, it had the graco snugride 30. My dad thought today that a baby at 30 pounds or just below wouldn't fit in an infant car seat. Thoughts? All the safety first car seats I found only went to 22 pounds and I was hoping to get a 30lb to delay having to buy a new one for a while. I plan on keeping the baby rear facing as long as possible so I don't know if he was just thinking I would turn them FF as soon as possible which isn't the plan.

So I guess my main questions are if I get an infant car seat do I just go with a 22 pounder or get one that goes higher?

And if it will be worth it to get the sngride 30 or higher will it fit on a safetey first stroller? I know that patterns won't match but I figure I can just get a plain colored carseat.
February 5th, 2011, 03:15 PM
smileybrea's Avatar ♥ Proud Doula & CPST ♥
I'm not sure on the compatibility but maybe one of the other girls does. If there's a BRU/TRU near you, you might be able to try it out.

As for the infant seat, if you are going that route, I'd definitely suggest a 30lb weight limit. It's worth the extra money and most babies will fit in it for a year if not longer. The 22lb seats will likely be outgrown much sooner.

Another suggestion is to skip the infant seat altogether and just get a convertible seat. There are a handful of convertibles that fit newborns really well and will save you a lot of money One of my favorite convertibles for newborns is the Graco MyRide. There's also the First Years True Fit and Evenflo Triumph Advance. If you go this route, stay away from all Britax convertibles and the Safety First Complete Air..they do not fit newborns well

Did you know that 95% of children are not properly restrained in a vehicle?
Make sure your child is not one of them!

February 5th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Safety 1st makes the OnBoard 35 which is a highly recommended seat. It fits little babies well and fits larger babies well.

Personally I don't care for the SnugRide30. It's more based on the SnugRide22 so although the weight limit is higher the seat will be outgrown by height 99% of the time before weight. I've got a big LO, and when I tried putting him in it at the store one day he had outgrown it by height but still had at least 8lbs left on it. He also looked really uncomfortable in it. He still fits in his SnugRide32 which is a completely diffrent shell, hes got about 1- 1 1/2" sell above his head on the 32. When I put him in the OnBoard 35 he's still got at least 2" left.

made by BAM

February 6th, 2011, 05:02 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Ditto what PP said. Most babies outgrow infant carriers by height before weight. A 30lb model has a much taller shell than a 22lb model. We've seen 3 month olds outgrow a 22lb model - that's how short it is. So yes, a 30lb baby probably won't fit in the 30lb model, but a 30lb model will last the typical kid 12-18 months.
February 6th, 2011, 08:40 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
^^I agree. Absolutely go for a higher weight seat. And I have to agree with getting the SafeSeat32, I like it so much better than the SnugRide30. I have a friend who has the SnugRide and I tried Liam in it a couple months ago, when he was still in his SafeSeat32 and I can not tell you how small it was in comparison. He was 13 months old at the time and could have ridden in his SafeSeat a couple more months, per his height. And he really looked crammed in the SnugRide. I never knew the difference in the making of it, but it makes sense that it is based off the SnugRide22.

I have not found anywhere that a Safety First is compatible with a Graco SafeSeat, but they ARE compatible with a SnugRide. Because the base is smaller. Have you considered getting one of the little collapsible numbers for the infant seat and using the Safety First stroller when she gets older and can sit up? The little snap and go strollers are cheap, around $50.
February 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
The Safety 1st OnBoard has a taller shell than the Graco SnugRide 32/35 /SafeSeat1. The shell is thinner, but taller. When I LO on one at Target he still fit in it quite well.

made by BAM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search