New Combi Coccoro

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2012, 06:42 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just got our new carseat today!!! I'm so excited. We got the Coccoro for DH's new car (a Ford Fiesta). We can get the MyRide in the Fiesta, but only if the front passenger (aka me) is pretty squished. And Kate's a smaller kid, plus we're having another one, so I thought we'd get the use out of it.

First impression (without installing it): Very nice!! The harness adjuster is really smooth, the button for releasing the harness is big and easy to find and press, Kate is comfortable in it (more on that in a minute), and the buckle seems to be really good. I like how you press down to release it, and the puzzle buckle doesn't seem too much more work than the other buckles I have, just something I'll have to get used to. It's clearly a well-designed seat with a lot of thought put into it.

I did have one issue, however. The manual states that the infant insert MUST be used until 25lbs. I have a 23lb 19 month old. She does NOT fit well in the seat with the INFANT insert, but she fits perfectly in it without. It was one of those "that has GOT to be wrong" moments.

I found this:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=194077
Basically a company rep looked it up and said the manual is supposed to say that the infant insert CAN be used until 25lbs, but can be taken out whenever the child fits better in the seat without it. They're looking into correcting it.

So in case anyone else runs into this problem, I wanted to pass that on!

I'll get pics soon as I get it installed in the car.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 5th, 2012, 06:57 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Can't wait to see pics and see what you think when you use it! I have no reason to get another seat...even if/when we have another baby...but I lust after this one

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 5th, 2012, 06:58 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OH awesome Will this be used for the new baby or is it for Kate?
January 5th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:fearless:. View Post
OH awesome Will this be used for the new baby or is it for Kate?
For now for Kate. She's on the second harness slot and has I'd say another inch and a half of torso growing room so it looks like we'll be able to get past 2 and a half RFing in it. Depending on how our infant SafeSeat fits in the Fiesta, and how fast Kate grows, we may end up getting a second one for the baby.... maybe...

~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 5th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I have never seen one in person, I can't wait to see pics!
January 6th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I come bearing pictures!!! I didn't get it installed in the Fiesta, since DH is working all weekend, so I put it in my SUV just to try it out.

First, in the house. Cute seat!

Kate LOVES it. She wouldn't get out of it, actually... kept running over and climbing back in. (She loves car seats, just like mama!)

This is not while installed in the car, but just for reference.... Kate is 19 months, 23lbs, and roughly 31" tall.

Here's the buckle. I LOVE the release button. The tongues slide easily in, audibly click into place, a green bar shows that it's secure, and it releases smoothly and easily. I really like it!

Installed in the SUV...

And this is just showing how much more room it gives, compared to the MyRide. I didn't measure, but it's at least a couple inches, probably more like 3-4".

~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 6th, 2012, 09:18 PM
First, she is SO cute!!! Second, did you get measurements once it was installed? I love that buckle, that is super neat!!!
January 6th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:fearless:. View Post
First, she is SO cute!!! Second, did you get measurements once it was installed? I love that buckle, that is super neat!!!
Not yet, but I can tomorrow.

~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 7th, 2012, 05:34 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
It looks like she lost a little growing room once it's installed, but she still has time to grow in it! What a cute little seat!
January 7th, 2012, 06:23 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Love, love, LOVE! It makes the MyRide look HUGE in comparison!

Natalie, you have a Graco SafeSeat for an infant seat, right? How do that and the Coccoro compare as far as how much room they take up front-to-back?

Melissa & DH

January 7th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
It looks like she lost a little growing room once it's installed, but she still has time to grow in it! What a cute little seat!
Yeah, I think she did. But she still has I'd say another year at least. Which is awesome for a small seat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMH View Post
Love, love, LOVE! It makes the MyRide look HUGE in comparison!

Natalie, you have a Graco SafeSeat for an infant seat, right? How do that and the Coccoro compare as far as how much room they take up front-to-back?
It totally does, lol. This one looks like such a petite little thing! And yes, I have the SafeSeat. It's still in storage so I don't actually know. And that will be important when the baby is born, to fit both RFing in the Fiesta. May need to get a second Coccoro.

~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 7th, 2012, 08:38 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Love it! Such a cute seat And a super adorable kid!!!
January 7th, 2012, 01:21 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmagic View Post
And yes, I have the SafeSeat. It's still in storage so I don't actually know. And that will be important when the baby is born, to fit both RFing in the Fiesta. May need to get a second Coccoro.
I'll have to remember to have you compare later. If the Coccoro will take up less room RFing than my SnugRide32, I might have to snap up the Coccoro for a baby

Melissa & DH

January 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM
MommaLexi's Avatar Adoptive and Foster Mommy
:drool: I want a Cocorro SO bad! But I definitely do not need any seats right now!

FD ~ Squishy, 8mos old, Down Syndrome, Heart Disease (post open-heart surgery)
January 8th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Okay, I measured today. Installed with Kate in the seat she has about 2.5 inches to the top of the seat, so another 1.5 inches of growing room. Which is decent, for a small seat. (I believe the manual says max height of 36" for rear-facing). In comparison, in the MyRide she has 5 inches to the top of the seat (4 inches of growing room).

Also I measured how much space there is from the back of the passenger seat to the car seat, and it's about 3" - so it takes up approx 3" less than the MyRide. But it doesn't come up as high, so it may be more or less depending on how the seats are contoured.

~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 8th, 2012, 08:15 PM
That's pretty fantastic!!!
January 9th, 2012, 03:59 PM
mommacache's Avatar Super Mommy
Seeing those pics makes me want a Coccoro and I don't even have a kid that would fit.

January 9th, 2012, 05:38 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OMGosh! It looks so good on your 1.5 year old! This was my dream seat, but circumstances forced me to get something else.

Maybe when my boy growns out of the Snugride I can upgrade to this one...

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

January 10th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Okay last picture and update for now. I got it installed in the Fiesta!

I know it's hard to see, the interior is black - which btw the black car seat in the black interior looks super snazzy, DH will like that!

I used LATCH to install it. This is the new version Coccoro which has push-on latch connectors (which I didn't get a picture of - drat!). I had a heck of a time getting them pushed onto the bars because the Fiesta's seat cushions are wicked stiff. I could find the bars in the bight no problem, but getting the thick connectors in there at the right angle was a huge PITA, I was sweating and grunting! (Note we had the same trouble getting the LATCH in there with the MyRide, as well. It's the seat cushions, not the car seat's problem.) Anyways once they were on I kneeled in the center of the seat and pulled the LATCH strap tight, which was very smooth and easy to do. I got a tight install super quick.

As far as space goes, I did gain quite a bit of room with my seat. I had the MyRide installed in the center, so that the top of the seat nestled between the headrests of the front seats and gave me another inch or two from when it was installed behind my seat. I didn't move my seat at all before installing the Coccoro and then was able to move my seat back another notch and recline it further. So I'm definitely more comfortable, and now we can fit two car seats in the car.

All in all I'm very pleased with my purchase! I don't know that I would have spent the cash on this particular seat for a normal vehicle, but for a sub-compact I think it's worth it.

~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Man, that does look snazzy!

Melissa & DH

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search