issues buckling radian

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2012, 08:32 PM
MamaToARockStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
for the last couple weeks,i've noticed that tatums legs seem to be getting in the way of doing the crotch buckle part?I have to take his legs and extend them so they are straight out and on the back of the seat kind of?if his legs are bent even a little,i cant buckle it,its getting quiet annoying.And i think that after he is buckled,and he goes to bend his legs/cross them kind of?(he usualy sits criss cross applesauce)it is too tight in the leg area and hes getting annoyed,but i cant loosen it,or itd be too loose

he really isnt that big for rear facing,hes going to be 3 in april,hes 37 inches and somewhere between 30-33 pounds.So,am i missing something?Does this happen to you?

January 6th, 2012, 09:05 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a Radian, but I think it has an adjustable crotch buckle. Can you check your manual and seat to see if you can move it further out? Sounds like it's too close to his body.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 7th, 2012, 01:23 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Without going down to look, I think there are 3 positions for the crotch buckle, and it is fairly easy to move it from slot to slot.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

January 7th, 2012, 02:30 PM
i think were on either the 2nd or third,i will have to check next time we go out,its weird because he dosnt even have chubby legs or anything,weird

January 7th, 2012, 05:53 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Is the harness too tight that it's scrunching up near his legs? I was thinking of this question when I put DDs in their Radians today, and that's all I could come up with besides moving the crotch strap.
January 7th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have a radian but on the Britax, there are 2 crotch positions...but the manual explicitly states that the buckle needs to be in the closest position at all times while rear-facing... I was surprised by that and wondering if that will effect how long my daughter is rear-facing.
January 7th, 2012, 08:24 PM
MommaLexi's Avatar Adoptive and Foster Mommy
I have 3 radians, and agree with moving the crotch buckle out a position (if you aren't already on the 3rd slot). If you are on the 3rd slot, call SK/Diono, I have a faint memory of them having a longer crotch strap?

FD ~ Squishy, 8mos old, Down Syndrome, Heart Disease (post open-heart surgery)
January 8th, 2012, 05:29 PM
i dont think its too tight,its not skrunched at all,and we are on the 3rd slot already.I dont get it,hes really not a huge kid.I will have to call and see if they make a longer one,hes been awful to get into his seat the last few days,ill see if i can get pics of what i'm talking about tomorrow

January 8th, 2012, 06:27 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well that's weird! Let us know. I don't have a Radian, but I'm really curious.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 8th, 2012, 06:57 PM
superwoman8977's Avatar Awesome Mommy!
we had issues with the Maestro doing this with Ali and now we are having issues with the Generations65. I thinks shes just going to outgrow the harness. I tried her in a Nautilus the other day and I cant even buckle the crotch buckle so she is going to have the same issue in that as well. I have a feeling very soon we will have to go to a HBB. Not what I want to do but I dont think we are going to have a choice. I wish they would make the crotch buckles to fit kids.

Thanks AlexAidenmom for my awesome siggie!

January 9th, 2012, 08:42 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^I don't even see how that is possible unless your child is extremely large, which she is not. I know someone who has their 64 pound preschooler in a Nautilus and she can buckle it on him. My 40 pound 3.5 year old fits in it with tons of growing room. Your harness is either caught up on something, twisted, or this is just flat out not true. You always have the most ridiculous claims. I think you come up with these outrageous excuses so that you can try to justify your next move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToARockStar View Post
for the last couple weeks,i've noticed that tatums legs seem to be getting in the way of doing the crotch buckle part?I have to take his legs and extend them so they are straight out and on the back of the seat kind of?if his legs are bent even a little,i cant buckle it,its getting quiet annoying.And i think that after he is buckled,and he goes to bend his legs/cross them kind of?(he usualy sits criss cross applesauce)it is too tight in the leg area and hes getting annoyed,but i cant loosen it,or itd be too loose

he really isnt that big for rear facing,hes going to be 3 in april,hes 37 inches and somewhere between 30-33 pounds.So,am i missing something?Does this happen to you?
As Isabel got older, I found it harder to buckle her in her MR65 (while rear facing) if I didn't loosen in the harness. WHen she'd sit in the seat, I'd have to move her legs around so that I could get her buckled, she'd kinda sit like a frog with her legs bent out like this <>, I'd buckle her and then she could move and sit however she wanted. I've seen larger children than yours fit just fine rear facing in a Radian, so I don't think your child is outgrowing the seat, like others might claim. But I will agree that as they get bigger, it does become a little more annoying to buckle them in, and it's just "different" than when they were smaller.

I hope you can find something that works so you can continue to rear face him. You've done a great job so far though!!!

Last edited by ::er!ca::; January 9th, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
January 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
oh,i am def. not going to forward face him until absoluetly neccesary(hopefully age 4),i can deal with having to re arange his legs even if it is annoyingI think i will just try to show him a new way to put his legs,he used to kind of let them both hang over the sides or criss cross,which he cant do as easy now.I just found it strange since i know and have seen bigger kids then Tatum rear facing in radians,but i had never heard anyone mention this issue,so was just curious if other had this issue too,glad to see you noticed it with your dd too though!

and superwoman-your DD isnt even 3 yet!i can not even imagine putting a 2 year old in a booster,i also cant imagine a 2 year old outgrowing a nautilus,i have seen 8 year olds restrained in the nautilus,how big is she?

Last edited by MamaToARockStar; January 9th, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
January 10th, 2012, 01:49 PM
ok so i think i figured it out,i have an upright install with the radian in my car behind the drivers seat,i dont think it is too upright,but def upright,so my thought is that if i try to get it reclined a bit,that will give him more leg room and more space to put his legs.I think that since it is pretty upright,its not giving him alot of leg room,so theres no where for his legs to go when getting buckled?

now to try to get it reclined more...

January 10th, 2012, 04:58 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That could very well make the difference.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search