How would you react?

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've seen some crazy stuff in the car pool line at my daughter's school, but whatever. Usually its kids who appear too young to be in boosters or kids out of the car seat climbing around while waiting for school to get out. Usually people start lining up in the car pool an hour before school lets out. Its crazy.

Well, nothing prepared me for what I saw today when eating lunch. We saw the child, she was speaking in full, complete clear sentences. She looked to be about two years old. And she was potty trained (asked her sister *?* to take her to the potty). We leave the restaurant at the same time as them, walked past their car to get to our car. I noticed they had an infant carrier in the car turned forward (looked like a graco seat). I figured, well maybe the child is into baby dolls and has a "pretend"car seat for baby dolls or they have a baby at home or watch a baby and the seat isn't really in use. I buckle DD and sit down in my seat and watch her put the little girl into this seat. Didn't even attempt to do any buckle. Just have her a blanket. WTH?

Hubby said, maybe the child buckled herself with the 5 pt harness or pulled the seat belt across and buckled. I said, that doesn't seem right. The girl looked too little to buckle herself. Even if she did, it was an infant carrier - the seat had a handle over the top and should have been rear facing not forward facing. Secondly, she was too tall for the seat without a doubt! The seat was being improperly used and it appeared that the child was not buckled. The windows were tinted, so maybe she did buckle herself. IDK. Hubby said mind my own business. However, the family had two girls who appeared to be twins (Same size and same outfit). The other girl had a forward facing seat with a harness, saw the adult buckle the child.

What do you do in situations like that? The whole thing lasted what just seemed like a few minutes. We were busy getting DD buckle and getting in the car ourselves. I was in total shock and they pulled away really quickly before i could even process what I saw.

January 31st, 2012, 02:49 PM
mom2zachnmac's Avatar Super Mommy
I guess in your situation not really anything you can do unless you run into them again.. Only thing I can think of for next time would be to jot down the license plate and call the police!

[IMG][/IMG]
January 31st, 2012, 05:22 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In that situation, I probably would not have said anything. If I would have seen them get out of the car and go into the restaurant, I may have wrote a tiny little note linking them to car-seat.org or a phone number to the closest Safe Kids Coalition or local CPST. Oh, and I have some free handouts about car seat safety in the back of my van too, both of those would have gone under the windshield wiper.

It's very frustrating, I understand. But unfortunately, we can't save the world. It's hard to find the balance between when to say something and when not to say something. It's also hard to find the balance between getting heated about a situation and learning to just let it go. I can pretty much point out how long a person has been "into" car seat safety by the way they react to certain situations. If they get heated quickly and go balls out, they're new. Over time your passion will remain but you'll be more calm about it. Trust me, I've been there.
January 31st, 2012, 06:00 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
It's very frustrating, I understand. But unfortunately, we can't save the world. It's hard to find the balance between when to say something and when not to say something. It's also hard to find the balance between getting heated about a situation and learning to just let it go. I can pretty much point out how long a person has been "into" car seat safety by the way they react to certain situations. If they get heated quickly and go balls out, they're new. Over time your passion will remain but you'll be more calm about it. Trust me, I've been there.
ITA with this. I can't get worried about every kid out there in a bad seat because it would consume me. I worry about my kids and their safety. Sounds cruel, but I need to draw the line somewhere.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search