Safest arrangment

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have an 18-month old daughter who is rear-facing in a Britax Boulevard in the center seat of our SUV. I got a positive pregnancy test and its still super early but if this pregnancy does go through, I would have a newborn when she is 2 years and 3 months...at that point she should still be rear facing in her carseat.

I was planning on putting the newborn in our Graco Snugride infant seat until he/she gets big and then put the them in another Boulevard. What's the safest arrangement in the SUV? Should I keep my daughter in the center and put the infant seat on the passenger's side because its easier to get it in and out? Or is that dangerous and should I put the infant seat in the center and my daughter on the passenger side? Or is it better to just put both carseats on opposite ends of the car? Our car is big enough that I can have both seats next to each other if I want.

Thanks for any help!
January 9th, 2012, 03:29 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can put them where ever you want, as long as they're properly installed. The center is slightly safer, but your children are not UNSAFE if they are outboard. Both of my children are outboard, I drive a minivan. They were both outboard in my car as well, having one in the center was just not possible. Whatever seating arrangement is most convenient for you is what you should go with, as long as the seats are installed independently and correctly.
January 9th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's great to know, thanks!
January 9th, 2012, 06:58 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
If they're both RFing, the safety difference of the center versus outboard is so minimal that I wouldn't sweat it. Congrats on your BFP!!
January 9th, 2012, 07:04 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! My newborn and my 4 year old will both be outboard as well
January 10th, 2012, 01:50 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
Both of my younger 2 are outboard bc we don't have a middle seat Congrats on your BFP!

January 10th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! Something new occurred to me though...is it just a bad idea to have a toddler and infant right next to each other? lol I don't know if I could trust my daughter, but being rear-facing, I don't know how much access she would have...but of course I wouldn't want to risk it...
January 11th, 2012, 03:23 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL Depends on the toddler, I guess. I have heard of two older kids/toddlers tormenting each other and yelling to the point mom had to separate them.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 11th, 2012, 08:40 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Chiming in...I have a toddler and a new-ish baby next to each other and we have not run into any trouble. The 2-year-old can't reach the baby to give him anything or poke him or anything. But he does like sitting next to his brother. When I put him in his seat (RF MR65), he always points to the base next to him, indicating he wants his brother right there. I always put him in first, since he is mobile and then snap the infant seat in. I find it works out fine for us, although the infant seat is a little tough to get in and out of the middle seat. We keep them center/passenger because it is easier to reach them to give back pacis/snacks/toys. I can't even reach behind the driver even though I have extremely long arms. Just something to consider
January 11th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
Chiming in...I have a toddler and a new-ish baby next to each other and we have not run into any trouble. The 2-year-old can't reach the baby to give him anything or poke him or anything. But he does like sitting next to his brother. When I put him in his seat (RF MR65), he always points to the base next to him, indicating he wants his brother right there. I always put him in first, since he is mobile and then snap the infant seat in. I find it works out fine for us, although the infant seat is a little tough to get in and out of the middle seat. We keep them center/passenger because it is easier to reach them to give back pacis/snacks/toys. I can't even reach behind the driver even though I have extremely long arms. Just something to consider
Oh that's great to know! Yeah I was thinking if they are both rear-facing it limits access to each other....I think maybe we can try it and see at first. And good point about center/passenger side.
January 11th, 2012, 01:42 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
When my DDs were both RFing and next to each other, it wasn't an issue because they couldn't reach each other. Once DD1 was turned FFing, they were moved outboard because they would fight and argue!
January 13th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
Thanks ladies! Something new occurred to me though...is it just a bad idea to have a toddler and infant right next to each other? lol I don't know if I could trust my daughter, but being rear-facing, I don't know how much access she would have...but of course I wouldn't want to risk it...
I put my toddler next to one of my newborns one time and that was it. He was poking the baby and trying to scratch him. It just depends on the toddler though. After that, my kids were always outboard.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search