Looking for a RF Convertible Carseat to fit 08 Trailblazer

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
We just bought a Britax Marathon 70 carseat for my car and it fits wonderfully; however, my husband's car is an 2008 Trailblazer and there is no hope for the Britax to fit in his backseat.

We're looking for a suggestion on what car seats will. There are surely lots of Trailblazers out there and I know that someone has installed a carseat in one at some point lol

Because there is no LATCH in the middle seat, we are unable (according to Chevy and all carseat companys) to install a carseat there and share the 2 outboard LATCH's (as if to borrow one from each side) and a seatbelt install doesn't seam very secure.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a carseat that will fit behind the driver or passenger seats without having to put the seats all the way forward? Ideally, we'd like the front riding passengers to have a bit of legroom. So far, it's been recommended to me to try a Evenflo Triumph 65 LX. Anyone have any other suggestions on a small convertable carseat for a small backseat?
January 16th, 2012, 05:30 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, you cannot "borrow" LATCH anchors from the side, which is a bummer, a lot of vehicles don't have LATCH in the center seat. However I find that I now actually prefer to use the seat belt to install my seats most of the time. It didn't seem secure the first few times I did it, but now I think I figured it out for my seat (Graco MyRide) and can get a really tight install that way pretty quickly. So I encourage you to try the seatbelt install a few more times and see if you can't get it snug enough to feel good to you.

As far as fitting a car seat outboard, I'm surprised there's not more room in that size of vehicle! We had some problems fitting the MyRide is my hubby's Ford Fiesta, but that's a subcompact and we expected that. How old is your child? I could see problems if you *have* to install it at 45 degrees. If your child is older I would see if you can install it more up-right, that gives some more room. I don't know what seats would really give more room, most larger RF convertables take up approximately the same. The True Fit has a top part that you can remove, which is nice, but you can only remove it until the child is 22lbs, then it has to go on. The Coccoro is smaller, but it's really smaller, it only rear-faces until 33lbs (forward-facing until 40lbs), so it won't last very long for most kids.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 16th, 2012, 05:41 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an evenflo triumph advance installed RF in a trailblazer without a problem.
January 17th, 2012, 05:34 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
A Marathon should absolutely fit! It is known for fitting into small spaces, and I wouldn't call a Trailblazer a small space. The Evenflo Triumph 65 and the Marathon are almost the same size. Have you contacted a CPST in your area for assistance?

What is the age and size of the child you need a seat for?

Last edited by amylynne01; January 17th, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
January 17th, 2012, 08:18 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It should most definitely fit. I suggest you find a certified passenger safety technician (CPST) that will show you how to properly install the car seats (they won't do it for you, but will teach and help you). Use this link to find one:

https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap...AFEKIDSCERTSQL
January 17th, 2012, 11:06 AM
The Britax will absolutely not fit. It fit in my car perfectly, but not in my husbands trailblazer. My child is currently 3 months old and rapidly growing out of his infant carrier car seat. I've worked in child care for years and I'm aware of car seat technicians but the technicians that I have worked with have told me that I first need to find a seat that fits into the back seat. They can't help me install something that won't fit properly behind the seats.

.:fearless:. did you insteall your evenflo triumph behind one of the seats or in the middle seat? is your trailblazer a regular one or an extended? I think I'll purchase a evenflo triumph and try it. I've heard they are considerably smaller than the marathon.
January 17th, 2012, 11:42 AM
The EFTs are not smaller than a Marathon, sorry. But they fit, as should the Marathon. I've read many accounts on car-seat.org of the Marathon fitting in the Trailblazer- installed in both the center and outboard positions.

How reclined are you trying to install it?
January 17th, 2012, 12:29 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
If you scroll down in this thread, someone posted pics of a Marathon installed in an 05 Trailblazer. It does fit as long as there haven't been any major redesigns concerning size between an 05 and an 08.

Your other problem is that your 3 month old needs to be reclined at 45 degrees for another couple months, so you can't really install it any more upright for now. Once he can sit up on his own and has good head control, you can put it more upright, and it will fit better.
January 18th, 2012, 04:28 AM
As I've said, my son is only 3 months old and so, needs to currently be installed at 45 degrees. The car seat in the the car-seat.org thread is not the one we have. The Britax marathon we have, is a 70 not a classic. It sits on a higher base, not flush with the seat as the one in the picture shows. Also, because of my son's age, it has to be installed at a 45 degree angel.

While I know I'm asking for help, I'm not completely ignorant to car seat laws, the availability of car seat technicians and the way things "should" fit. I posted this for help from other trailblazer owners or owners of small cars to see what car seats they may have that work, not for suggestions that it will fit if I simply do it correctly. Thus far, I've been to 2 car seat technicians who both agreed that the Marathon 70 will not fit and they both suggested I need to find another, smaller car seat. I've contact Chevy Customer Service who researched the issue over a period of 5 days and replied with the fact that they do not allow car seats to be installed in the center position using LATCH or seat belts and they have no current recommendations on a car seat that will fit behind either seat. That is what brought me to this post to try and find out what car seats may possibly fit behind the driver or passenger side seats.
January 18th, 2012, 08:22 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Do you think your baby will fit in the infant seat another couple months so that you can install the Marathon more upright when he's ready to sit more upright?

The best way to see what will fit in your car will be to test things out, can you go to a babies r us and bring seats out to your car to try them out? A lot of convertibles will take up a LOT of space when installed at 45 degrees.

How much does your child weigh? You could try a True Fit, you can remove the head rest until the child is 22lbs (or reaches the top of the seat with the headrest removed) and therefore it won't take up as much space when installed at 45 degrees. Then when your child reaches the weight limit you can install it a bit more upright when the head rest is attached. I have one currently in a Toyota Yaris, which is a pretty small car, and we've had it in a Jeep Liberty.

January 18th, 2012, 09:20 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wait, they said you can't install it in the center with the seat belt?? I have never heard of that. What kind of seat belt is in the center?

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 18th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Actually, the new generation of Britax car seats have been redesigned to take up less space than the classic models with the white base.

But ok Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmagic View Post
Wait, they said you can't install it in the center with the seat belt?? I have never heard of that. What kind of seat belt is in the center?
And the information is incorrect. Car seats can be installed in the center using the seat belt. Until 2003, it wasn't allowed, but later models are allowed and furthermore, the GM has recanted their statement of it not being allowed as long as the car seat fits between seat belt anchors, and has updated their manuals.
January 18th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::er!ca:: View Post
Actually, the new generation of Britax car seats have been redesigned to take up less space than the classic models with the white base.

But ok Good luck.

And the information is incorrect. Car seats can be installed in the center using the seat belt. Until 2003, it wasn't allowed, but later models are allowed and furthermore, the GM has recanted their statement of it not being allowed as long as the car seat fits between seat belt anchors, and has updated their manuals.
Where have you gotten the information that GM recanted that statement? I've spoken to several people at GM Customer Service, Chevrolet Customer Service and at our local Chevrolet garage and all have said that all owner's manuals are current and up to date and must be followed for proper installation and therefore, nothing can be installed in the center seat.

It's not that I need the marathon to fit in the trailblazer. I am willing to try ANY convertable car seat. The Marathon was bought for my car, the trailblazer is my husbands and we're looking to purchase anything that fits properly for his. Hence the title that I'm looking for RF convertable car seat to fit in a trailblazer.
January 19th, 2012, 05:52 AM
http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...zer_owners.pdf

Here is the .pdf manual for the 2008 Chevy Trailblazer. Go to page 1-38 and it's titled "Where to put the restraint" No mention of center only. Furthermore, if you go down to page 1-40 and 1-41 when it's talking about the LATCH system, it shows you that there is a top tether anchor in all 3 rear seating positions. Why would there be a TA in the center if you can't use the center for a child restraint? Now, go down to page 1-48. It's titled "Installing a child restraint in the rear center position" and this is the text: (red for my emphasis)
Quote:
Securing a Child Restraint in the
Center Rear Seat Position

Many child restraints are too wide to be correctly secured
in the center rear seat, although some of them will fit
there. If the center seat position is too narrow for your
child restraint, secure it in a rear outside seat position.
If you secure a child restraint in the center seat position,
follow the instructions in Securing a Child Restraint in
a Rear Outside Seat Position on page 1-45.
Clearly stated right there that as long as the child restraint fits in the center position, it is allowed to be installed there. Center install is seat belt only (plus top tether anchor for forward facing) because you can not borrow lower anchors in this vehicle.

I'm guessing that if your manual is different than the updated one online, yours just hasn't been updated and is not current. In 2002 (I believe this was the year) Chevy changed the Blazer to the Trailblazer and just used the same manual. A center install was NOT allowed in the Blazer. I'm also guessing that you're getting the runaround from GM/Chevy CS because they really don't know what they're talking about. Same as when I got the run around from another manufacturer when they try to tell me that it's okay to use the lower anchors of LATCH for a child that weighs 80 pounds because it must be ok if the child restraint harnesses to 85 pounds. That's NOT true either, there is a weight limit much lower than that on the lower anchors. CS reps do not always know what they're talking about, sadly.

So anyway, can you take your husband's Trailblazer over to Babies R Us or Buy Buy Baby and try out some car seats? They'll let you take a seat out to your vehicle to do a test install to see if it fits.

And I'm really NOT trying to be a pain, but I really can't figure out what the problem with getting the MA70 installed in the vehicle is. It should fit, it really should. If you went over to car-seat.org, you would see so many people posting about what seats they've installed in this vehicle, including Britax convertibles (both classic and the new ones), in addition to seats like the Radian, which take up way more space front-to-back than a Marathon70 does. Hopefully you can find something that works for you, but I'd guess that your best bet is to go to the store and try them out. Also, move the front passenger seat up one or two clicks and see if that helps. Sitting the front passenger vehicle seat up one or two clicks more upright might help too.

Good luck!
January 19th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Erica,

THANK YOU! Now that I've seen it in a manual, I feel a lot better to put it in the middle with the seat belt. I spoke with technicians and customer service reps at both Chevy and GM and even a supervisor at Chevy. I spoke with several people at our local dealership, all to be told the same thing...theres no way I'm allowed to put it in the middle. Yet no one seemed to be sure or have a clue what I was talking about. One guy at GM acted like I was crazy for wanting my child RF. Apparently, he's not real familiar with our laws and recommendations. You'd think they'd have more informed people answering such important, serious questions. Anyways, we've now purchased a Birtax Roundabout 55 for our secondary car seat in the hubby's TB! (Thank God this issue is solved! lol)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search