Some convertible car seat questions

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Baby #3 is due in May. I have a Chicco Keyfit that is still good until 2013 or 2014. Then, a Britax Boulevard 65 and a Radian XTSL. Right now, Lily is RF in the Radian and Vi is RF in the Britax. I kind of just want to get a new convertible seat now for the baby versus using the Keyfit and then getting another convertible later.

The issue is that Violet is looking a bit cramped RF in the Britax, so I was thinking of getting her one of the new Radians. But the old Britax are not really safe for a newborn right? Are the new Radians good for newborns? Maybe I can get one and have the baby ride in it for a bit and then switch them to the Britax and Vi to the new Radian? I just like how the Radians have a taller shell and seem to give more leg room for my kids at least.

Also, if you were choosing between the Radian RXT and R120, which would you choose and why? The main difference is the RXT has headwings + booster right?

Thanks so much!

January 18th, 2012, 05:29 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Now I am not the best person to answer, but I do believe you are correct about the Britax seats - the lowest harness height on the 65 models is around 10", which is too high for most newborns (the new 70 version has a lower harness height). So you'd have to use something else until the baby's shoulders were even with the lowest harness strap, then you could swap seats.

I believe the Radians are good for newborns. Someone can hopefully confirm that. And I don't know how it is now with the new models, but with the old Sunshine Kids models some didn't come with the newborn insert, but some did - and you'd need that.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 19th, 2012, 06:03 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
Baby #3 is due in May. I have a Chicco Keyfit that is still good until 2013 or 2014. Then, a Britax Boulevard 65 and a Radian XTSL. Right now, Lily is RF in the Radian and Vi is RF in the Britax. I kind of just want to get a new convertible seat now for the baby versus using the Keyfit and then getting another convertible later.

The issue is that Violet is looking a bit cramped RF in the Britax, so I was thinking of getting her one of the new Radians. But the old Britax are not really safe for a newborn right? Are the new Radians good for newborns? Maybe I can get one and have the baby ride in it for a bit and then switch them to the Britax and Vi to the new Radian? I just like how the Radians have a taller shell and seem to give more leg room for my kids at least.

Also, if you were choosing between the Radian RXT and R120, which would you choose and why? The main difference is the RXT has headwings + booster right?

Thanks so much!
The bolded would be a good option.

Great job keeping your children rear facing!!

I love headwings, so I'd go with that option. However, I wouldn't plan on using the Radian as a booster, there are some flaws. The shoulder belt doesn't easily retract through the belt guide, so if your child leaned forward even the slightest, there would be slack in the shoulder belt.
January 19th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
With the new Radian, I read that the height for the FF seat is 4'7", so as long as the child is under 80lbs at that point, I could just keep them FF up until that point and then they'd go straight to seat belt, right? But if they were over 80lbs, then I'd need a booster until they hit the height? Please let me know if I'm understanding that wrong!

January 19th, 2012, 11:03 AM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
With the new Radian, I read that the height for the FF seat is 4'7", so as long as the child is under 80lbs at that point, I could just keep them FF up until that point and then they'd go straight to seat belt, right? But if they were over 80lbs, then I'd need a booster until they hit the height? Please let me know if I'm understanding that wrong!
The stated heights on car seats are just "guidelines" because they have to give some number. But every child is different, some have longer torsos and others have longer legs. When a child is forward facing, their seat is outgrown when one of the following happens (which ever comes first)
a) the reach the weight limit
b) the child's shoulders are above the top harness slot (even if it's just a hair)
c) the top of the child's ears reach the top of the car seat.

So, I'd disregard the 4'7" and focus on your child being within the weight limits, having her shoulders at or below the top harness slot, and her ears being under the top of the seat. If all of those things are good, she'll still fit

Your child should not use just the seat belt (with no booster) until they fit in the seat belt properly. Remember, seat belts are meant for adult males. Here is a good description of when they can go without a child restraint/booster.
Boosters Are For Big Kids
January 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search