Starting early looking for suggestions

Forum: Car Seat Safety

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By amylynne01
  • 1 Post By starryeyedme04

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Car Seat Safety LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2012, 12:13 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Hi ladies. It's been years since I've purchased a car seat for an infant. I would like to get one that will hopefully last beyond the first year. Can I have some suggestions? I don't want to go overly expensive, but DH already agreed that it's worth the money if it can last for at least the first two years, maybe beyond.

Thanks.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

February 13th, 2012, 01:05 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
It kinda depends on what you are looking for in a seat.

Do you need a smaller seat to fit in a smaller car? Or is bigger/wider seat ok?

Do you have a price range you are looking in?

Do you want a bare bones seat or one with a little more "add ons"?

Do you need to be able to move it from car-to-car often? Or will it stay put?

Will it need to be travel friendly (aka: do you fly a lot)?

I only ask because it will be easier to get a picture of what seat might work for you. We have Graco seats for all of ours and we love them. I plan to get a couple more in the future as our kids' needs change. So my first vote is for the MyRide65. But it is a bulkier seat and is not terribly friendly to changing it between cars or in airplanes. So if those are issues, you might want to choose something different. If you were looking for one that is around $140 or so (or on sale for closer to $110) and has a plush interior with a few "add ons"...it might be your best bet. Other good choices that folks like are the Britax Marathon and Boulavard (higher price point, more "extras"), the Combi Coccoro (compact but also for smaller kids), and Cosco Scenera (inexpensive, nice for travel, not many extras).
February 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the questions. I didn't even think about those different things.

Do you need a smaller seat to fit in a smaller car? Or is bigger/wider seat ok? Wider is fine, we own a mini van with bucket seats in the middle and one 3 seater in the back.

Do you have a price range you are looking in?I didn't really want to spend over $300 for the seat.

Do you want a bare bones seat or one with a little more "add ons"? Depends on the add ons.

Do you need to be able to move it from car-to-car often? Or will it stay put? most likely stay put, we only have one car and if we ever get another, the kids will always be in the mini van.

Will it need to be travel friendly (aka: do you fly a lot)? no we're mainly drivers over flyers.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

February 13th, 2012, 03:16 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
We just got a myride and i don't think it's that bulky, compared to the true fit, nauti and radian we have

February 13th, 2012, 04:25 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Add my vote to the MyRide. I love that seat with my daughter (2 years old) and am planning to get another one for my son arriving in May.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
February 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
For a newborn, are you looking for an infant carrier and then a convertible down the road, or do you want a convertible from birth?
February 13th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
are you looking for an infant seat? if so the graco snugride 35 goes from 4 till 35lbs and to 32inch long i have one and love it. if you are looking for a convertible carseat. i have a myride 65 to i love it its just huge and here in buffalo when its cold a good part of the time the coat gets all in there face with how fare they r back in the seat. i have a Sunshine Kids Radian XT SL and i LOVE IT !! they can rerace till 45lbs or till they get to tall and front face in the 5 point harnes straps till 80lbs or till they are to tall best non infant carseat iv ever seen but thats just me good luck on your search
February 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
For a newborn, are you looking for an infant carrier and then a convertible down the road, or do you want a convertible from birth?
I did the carrier last time, I would rather just do convertible from birth this time around. I'm really looking to put down a decent amount of money one time only. I figure this time around we're baby wear more than before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiesmommy View Post
are you looking for an infant seat? if so the graco snugride 35 goes from 4 till 35lbs and to 32inch long i have one and love it. if you are looking for a convertible carseat. i have a myride 65 to i love it its just huge and here in buffalo when its cold a good part of the time the coat gets all in there face with how fare they r back in the seat. i have a Sunshine Kids Radian XT SL and i LOVE IT !! they can rerace till 45lbs or till they get to tall and front face in the 5 point harnes straps till 80lbs or till they are to tall best non infant carseat iv ever seen but thats just me good luck on your search
Isn't it better to remove the coat so that the harness fits better? That's what I've been reading around lately. I figure I would remove the coat and use a blanket or cover for when it's too cold.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

February 13th, 2012, 06:58 PM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Good convertibles that last from typical newborn size to a safe booster age (age 5-6) of all price ranges:

Graco MyRide
First Years True Fit/True Fit Premier
Diono Radian (any model, will take up A LOT of room for a newborn, but that's short lived)
Evenflo Triumph 65/Momentum 65/Symphony 65
Britax new generation convertibles with separate infant insert (Marathon 70/Boulevard 70, the Roundabout 55 is too short to last, the Advocate 70 is a waste of money lol)

My absolute favorite seat from this list for newborn to booster is the First Years True Fit/True Fit Premier. It has a removable headrest, so under 22lbs and a certain height, you don't use it, meaning it takes up little room front to back for a newborn and young infant who need a 45 degree recline. Once baby gets good head control and hits 22lbs, you put the headrest on, install the seat more upright (35 degrees), and it takes up the same amount of room front to back. It goes from 5-65lbs and is really a decent height. For most average size kiddos, they will get to age 2-3 RFing and 5-6 FFing.

If you're looking to RF as long as possible, the Diono Radians have the highest weight limits. If you're looking to RF to age 2-3, any of the seats will do.

You are right in that you want to remove any puffy coats before you put a kiddo in a seat. Fleece is perfectly fine because it doesn't compress. Blankets on top of a kiddo is also a great idea!
February 14th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Thank you so much everyone. I will look into all the suggestions and see which we like best.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

February 14th, 2012, 06:14 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love love love my myride. My 4 year old, who is 32-34lbs still fits in it RF, even though he is now FF.
February 15th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
I did the carrier last time, I would rather just do convertible from birth this time around. I'm really looking to put down a decent amount of money one time only. I figure this time around we're baby wear more than before.

Isn't it better to remove the coat so that the harness fits better? That's what I've been reading around lately. I figure I would remove the coat and use a blanket or cover for when it's too cold.

Yes, coats in a car seat are a no no unless they are the thin fleece ones!
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=200355
K.A.T likes this.

February 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyedme04 View Post
Thank you for that link. It really helped me see what to do and what not to do.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

February 17th, 2012, 12:04 PM
You're welcome!! I have a whole book mark of links for CS stuff

February 29th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Regular
The Graco smart seat is also worth looking at. It's at the top if your price range but it has 5 reclining positions & stays rear facing up to 40lbs and forward facing up to 65 then works as a booster up to 100lbs. If I was to get a convertible this is the one I would get because it seems to work much better for a newborn with more padding and reclining but will be the only seat you need until your child is big enough to ride without one. It's worth a look!

GL & congrats!

March 1st, 2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitBrooke23 View Post
The Graco smart seat is also worth looking at. It's at the top if your price range but it has 5 reclining positions & stays rear facing up to 40lbs and forward facing up to 65 then works as a booster up to 100lbs. If I was to get a convertible this is the one I would get because it seems to work much better for a newborn with more padding and reclining but will be the only seat you need until your child is big enough to ride without one. It's worth a look!

GL & congrats!
Actually, according a couple of threads on car-seat.org, it wouldnt be recommended for a newborn/younger baby - http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=160107

You can also get a seat that is just as good for less money, less bulky (well they are all bulky really haha) and last just as long, if not longer.

That's just one thread of a few i've seen on there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search